2019-07-06 17:25:14

Correct. The problem with a poll is it degenerates in to a popularity contest as opposed to people voting for those who they think are going to do a good job.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-06 18:36:57

Can we seriously stop with the insinuations about "what is going on behind the scenes" and all that jazz? It's getting mighty tiresome.

That said, popularity contests are no way to run a forum. I am vehemently against them, and would be so even if I were the sort of person who'd win a popularity vote.
I'm here because I get shit done, and this applies to the rest of the team as well. You may not always like it, but there has been a fair amount of positive change lately, and that's because we as a team are trying to take strides in the right direction.
It's not about how much you like us or how popular we are with you. It's about how effective we are at running the forum...well, so long as we don't alienate the lot of you, and though opinions may vary on that, we're not in that territory yet as far as I'm concerned.
Voting in new mods based purely on popularity, or deciding on who gets more authority based on popularity, is just a terrible idea. Popularity/likability are not the keystones of this job. That would be a lot like promoting a prep cook to head cook at a restaurant just because she's friends with everybody and gets the popular vote. It's silly.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-07-06 18:53:17

Yeah, because if we could vote, there wouldn't be situations like this. When a really unpopular and unliked person becomes an admin.

2019-07-06 19:24:44

If they're unliked, then they'll get bashed. but if they're a bad admin, even more hell would break luse then it has now, where quite a few people don't like the admins, so pick you're battles.

2019-07-06 19:38:30 (edited by Ethin 2019-07-06 19:39:32)

Rant ahead
@78, e-fucking-nuff! Got that, nice, loud and clear? Enough of your bitching, your insinuations, and your other bullshit that is absolutely un-provable! Grow the hell up and stop acting like a 10-year-old who has absolutely no life!
I'm sorry but this needed to be said. Master of Death is arguably the worst offender of this stupid thought process that takes up over 95 percent of this topic and I've had enough of it.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-06 20:01:15

Moderation:

Ethin, I agree with the sentiment but disagree with the way you're expressing it. Take this as a caution. Just watch it. Believe me though, it's making me pretty upset as well.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-07-06 20:08:26

@81, I know, I expected something like that. That needed to be said though.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-06 20:15:08 (edited by burak 2019-07-06 20:15:26)

He doesn't seem to care. Why do you all tell him to stop though he didn't when you told him one thousand times already?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-07-07 00:02:50

Hi.
at master of death guh dude, enough is enough, I gotta agree with ethin here, shut the fuck up.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-07-07 01:43:14

Maybe, selecting an admin via vote is not a bad thing specially if there are mechanics in implementing this method in choosing an admin? Like for example, 1. Fixing the term of an admin; 2. Giving one week to the aspiring candidate to convince the community why they deserve the position. 3. The promise from the chosen admin that he or she will always be fair in resolving conflicts among the community members and in implementing the rules of the community. ETc. Afterall, isn’t it that is the essense of democracy? Majority rule? And aside, the owner of this site or the one who started this community admitted already that the forum is no longer a small community and it has grown larger for the pass years. So choosing an admin via vote is not a bad thing.
However, since being an admin is a volunteer work in here, there are instances where it is possible that there are no candidate to the position. In such case, the owner of the community or the one who started this site will have the priveledge to appoint a person who will fill the position temporarily.
Hey this is just a suggestion to prevent this kind of squabble in choosing an admin in the future.
But right now, to those who persons who are not in favour of the chosen admin, just let it go. Give those chosen admin a chance to prove them selves cause no matter how you look at it, your reason in opposing there appointment is just base on presumption. You are all presuming that they are bias, they cannot live to there expectation as an admin and so on. Maybe, you have reasonable basis in making such presumption but since the appointment was already made, just let it go. What you can do now maybe, is to propose that the future admin will have a fix term and that they should be chosen via vote. With the exception of the person who started this community of course. Afterall, this admin are just there to assist him in regulating this site right?

2019-07-07 02:01:37

Technically, the owners of the site are Richard and Sendermen, and they haven't been responding too much as of late, so it falls on us to do what we can as staff.

2019-07-07 04:43:55

I am just curious, but where does it say that this forum will be run democratically? Yes. we as members should have some say in how the community is run, but at some point, things need to get done, and not everything can be a vote. I think of it more like running a ship. You have the officers, and you have the crew. You can't run the ship without the crew, and a good officer takes the crew's' opinions into account, but they don't need to come running for every single thing, and you're not going to come ask Mr. Redshirt who the captain should promote, at least they never did in any episode of Star Trek I ever watched.

So, people are either willing to cooperate and make this forum shipshape, or jump into an escape pod and find a new ship on which to crew, and just hope the next one isn't a Romulan warbird, because then they'd really have something to complain about.

thanks,
Michael

2019-07-07 06:39:28

but, if you run this forum democratically there will be less drama. right?
the people get to choose who will be the best fit to be an admin. the elections in countries are not just popularity contests it is the chance for people to choose a good leader. a leader that will improve the country. same could be implemented here. . i agree with @85.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-07-07 07:20:48 (edited by Ethin 2019-07-07 07:21:25)

@88, that only goes so well until you start having uneducated people make the votes. Then that goes bad. It doesn't help that the kids and assholes of the forum would try to force there will onto everyone else.

My Github

2019-07-07 18:12:07

I've been trying some experiments lately. If you check the emulators topic I posted before another mod came in. If you check one of the audio description discussion topics, around post 7 or 8 in one of them, you'll see an alternate timeline/method type thing that I posted, kind of resulting in the same thing but being approached differently, and it went down quite well.

2019-07-08 20:30:53

lol post 69 i  agree,  we need akids room heare ,  anyaudio is down, so they  only have this place,  why don't they go jump or run around, that mite help them gro up, lol

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-07-11 20:33:25 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-07-11 20:37:45)

lets see:
ah, also, 58, and especially 59 and , 75. I fully and absolutely disagree with every one of you. Good luck trying to even convince me. Might just create your own forum and solve all of your problems there, but ah huh, gotcha, you just can't for some inexplicable reason.
All I got to say is
Respect the discussions and others around you and you will probably get somewhere with life. Most of the answers you have had to your incredibly detailed, well though and argumentative posts, but especially those from Jayde, have been calm, level headed, and respectful, just the opposite of what you showed here by embarrassingly shaming yourselves, but you just don't get it... so that is no one's problem but yours. We just don't want to see any more of that in here. I am frankly very surprised you haven't gotten even a single warning.
Anyway, in regards to the topic and the discussion that it meant to really have, I congratulate the new admin and also the staff for the increasing proactivity which this site very much needed.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-07-11 22:44:18

His posts can be calm if we can't really understand his, um, calm, words. big_smile

2019-07-12 00:50:33 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-07-12 00:56:45)

MasterOfDeath wrote:

His posts can be calm if we can't really understand his, um, calm, words. big_smile

Uh oh, entitlement? and a grammar issue, which makes the post just a filler one to bump this thread back up, because I really didn't understand the point of it
In regards to not being able to understand words, that is (1) probably an issue that pertains to a very select few, and (2) exactly why dictionaries were invented, plus this has nothing to do with the topic, or to even keep on moving it forward, but thanks anyway. Lamentably, this childishness will just go on and and on and on. If you could tell us what you did not understand (because I have no idea who the we in that phrase is) this discussion could have been a bit more productive. Alas, I will finish posting here in this thread.
Sincerely,
a non-native English speaker living outside the U.s.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…