2019-07-06 19:49:35

Hello.
Recently I tried to publish a topic where I talked about programming languages for beginners.
I received strong criticism from conservatives like Ethin, pauliyobo and others.
But I imagine how we look in the eyes of beginners. They are confused and don't know what to choose.
I offer a small way how you can make your choice:
The first step, select a programming language. Any programming language, it's not important. If you cannot choose, throw a coin.
The second step, learn the basics of programming in this programming language.
The third step, if you want to know for yourself which programming language is best for you, learn the basics of programming in other languages that interest you.
The fourth step. Develop the same project using these programming languages and make a choice.
I can offer:
Develop a game where there is a playing field of 20 by 20 cells, where there are sound objects, and the player can move around this field. Can rotate, etc.
Implement it in C++, C#, Java, Python, in the languages you choose between.
What was most convenient to solve this, it's your choice.
Thank you!

2019-07-06 19:56:19

We are not "conservatives" as you put it. I strongly object to being categorized in such a manner because I disagree with something you post. But finally, finally you actually understand what we've been telling you for ages now! Took long enough!
Also, those beginners are confused because of various things:
* They're new and so don't fully understand what they want to do.
* They see all these programming languages and go "Woe!".
* They see all the various syntaxes and are unable to fully apply the process of elimination fairly.
* They see people like you posting nonsense and are confused even more because they don't know which sideis right and which side is wrong.
There are others, but those are some of the top ones. If we didn't have people posting nonsensical things, the entire developer community would be a hole lot more welcoming.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-07-06 20:33:00

Lol, conservatives, that definitely sounds great. What other term will you come up with? In fact, beginners wont be confused, they will watch a constructive discussion take place, explaining why something is good and is not. However, *insert random language* teaches you bad programming does confuse them, so maybe try with some solid argumentation to make it less confusing?

2019-07-06 20:45:18

@Ethin, Thank you for some of the good words from your post.

2019-07-06 21:53:46

throw a coin, ceriously, lol you gotta chill out man

2019-07-07 07:53:28

I threw a coin. It was tails. There is no programming language called tails. Help!

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-07-07 10:38:56

there is no programming language called Tails, but there is this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_(operating_system)

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-07-07 11:10:26

Here's one people seem to skip: DO NOT START WITH YOUR MAGNUM OPUS!
Recreate simple examples (20 lines or less). Then make small changes to get those to do new things. Do some small proof-of-concept programs for various features.
If you try to jump directly from not knowing how to program to cloning Call of Duty, it will be a strenuous challenge indeed.
Think of it like trying to pass Vector Calculus when you haven't mastered multiplication.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.

2019-07-07 12:02:23

CAE_Jones, I always wondered what programming languages you use.

2019-07-07 13:30:37 (edited by ogomez92 2019-07-07 13:30:54)

@7 I saw that right after I submitted my post. anyway its not a programming language big_smile

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-07-07 17:39:16 (edited by defender 2019-07-07 17:40:11)

The sad thing is, even though this topic contains useful info, we've had so many topics similar to this that turn into massive useless flamewars, that newbies will skip it just because it sounds the same, and because of the people posting.
We've missed our chance for the most part I think, at least for the next few months.  I'm glad that we've seemingly made some progress here, but we should have done it much sooner.