2019-07-02 06:07:00

Hey! Glad to hear you're ok Aprone!
smile

I have to agree, I don't think its a bug either. But to insure you don't accidentally walk your char out the safe zone, do what I do when I step away from the game for a few.
I dropp down into the mini gun, or any machine gun, something you can brace, this will prevent you from taking a few steps too far if you do bump your mouse or touch pad.
Also, you could  use the m40 as well just hit the letter T once you do, since it puts you into a prone, or laying down position.

I guess I'm not seeing which threads Aprone is posting to as that is a good indicator if he's still active, and is well. lol

Also, I was curious, I had an idea for us HC folks if it was possible to code this in a future update, if, there's gonna be a future update...
Maybe we can have an option in the safe zone menu that can transport us to our fort? If there are multiple forts we can go to, perhaps set a default fort, or if its not a problem to code, give a menu of fort locations to go to. Our fort is on map 5, and its kinda a bitch to travel there from map1. lol Just looking for a slightly easier way to get there is all.

Thanks for considering my idea anyway.
big_smile

2019-07-02 07:55:12

Hi.
I have seen the auto walking bug on my computer as well. It can happen if the screen resolution is set wrong, or if some other software is trying to minimize Swamp. Then Swamp starts to act weird and  the mouse and keyboard starts to act weird as well. It might be an update to Windows 10 which conflicts with Visual Basic, I don't know.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-07-02 15:46:51

The only auto walk situation I've run into is when I'm walking/running forward, and when I let up on my mouse, I keep going forward for some reason. lol
Freaks me out when it happens, as it seems to happen in places where you wouldn't want it to happen. like in parts inspection, running out of the western window there. lol ouch!!!

2019-07-02 17:28:15

this stamina thing really sucks, i can only swing my ax like 4 times at normal speed before the speed drops and I have to stop which is way too few times in my opinion. I am playing a level 23 character. But 4 swings basically renders the point of the melee weapons pretty damn useless because you are pretty much forced to take a hit. Please make it so that the melee weapon swings cost less stamina, so that maybe you could swing it like 7 or 8 times without it slowing down. I don't mind the other stamina changes but this is just horrible. Another thing about forcing us to use guns is that they're loud, and now that you've also put the shields on the stamina system you can't rely on them to block attacks, so you have to risk your armor being broken and your clothes bloodied, so you have just made the game a whole lot harder for the newbies. You can also make the stamina have a greater effect on higher levels who have probably invested more points into speed and who could get away better. But this is really just bad news for newbies.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-07-02 17:49:45

You could have a skill like this.  "Stamina has 0 of 45 points each point put into this skill creases melee swings by 2.  Get rid of the melee critical and add stamina."  Just an idea.

2019-07-02 19:00:36

Or, just put back melee the way it used to be, and don't charge us skill points to have it the way it used to be. lol
Just my two little old cents..
smile

2019-07-02 19:39:49

how about put everything back on was before original
remove the shield
shields now very useless

2019-07-02 20:29:38

While I do agree I wonder what Aprone's thought are?  May I suggested a very small update or even a testing server to test melee and see it's effects.  This Melee debate is almost amusing LOL like watching presidential debates in the UNITED States.

2019-07-02 23:13:19 (edited by keyIsFull 2019-07-02 23:13:35)

yeah I legit don't know how people are even playing swamp anymore now that we can't use melee weapons reliably to take on a bunch of zombies. Sub2 is pretty much flat out impossible once you get to the east side of the bridge where the swarms usually are because you will just be destroyed if you try and shoot them, and your meleee weapons now lag. So yeah, I was goign to play swamp this month but I guess not now because there's no point. It's not fun anymore. Games are supposed to be fun.

This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!

2019-07-02 23:32:05

I do still very much like the game, the only stresser I have is Melee since ammo is very short in HC, and crates not counting sometime.  Have you given anymore thought to using quest credits for some sort of store, like buying a reset or fort owners could set up a store of ammo for sail?

2019-07-03 00:32:46 (edited by Aprone 2019-07-03 00:33:47)

Well the melee weapons were being so overused, that a good number of players used them without ever firing a single bullet day after day.  The AI for the zombies do depend heavily on sound to track players, so having a group who can go around never making noise sort of defeats some of the point of the game.  It should always be an option to be stealthy, or an option to kill everything that comes near you, but I never intended for people to be able to do both at the same time.  The shield was overpowered all on it's own, and I knew I had to finally step in and change something when I started looking at all the players who would just casually walk through whole swarms of zombies and just ignore them.  Players were telling me that they were so used to just ignoring zombies altogether, that they kept zombie sounds muted.  They were no longer playing a zombie survival game, they were playing "walking around to pick up flies simulator 2000".  Haha!

I believed that once players got used to the melee and shield changes, they'd find new favorite ways to play that didn't involve getting around playing the game.  It's not uncommon for me to make changes or design choices that would work on me, but turn out to be very unpopular, so this is probably one of those times.  I'm going to put up some sort of a message or vote on the server, and I'll begin brainstorming some sort of compromised design that will make players happy again.  I don't like the idea of letting players ignore zombie attacks, and then rack up endless kills without ever needing to use any ammo, but if that's what people consider fun then I am open to making some changes.

Nikos, I still need to come up with something to use them on.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2019-07-03 01:51:19

oh I agree that you shouldn't be able to run around with just a shield and do everything, but not being able to really use your melee weapons effectively is just a drastic nerf. That's why I am pushing for  a modest increase in the number of swings you can make before you run out of stamina; I think the system is probably good apart from that. I think that each time your shield blocks you should lose some stamina too and it should recover fairly quickly. THis would let you easily block 1 or 2 zombies attacking you with a shield but if you were mobbed by like a half dozen, then your stamina wouldn't be able to recover fast enough and your block would soon fail against all of the concentrated attacks, so you'd want to get out of there.

I just want to be able to threaten zombies with my melee weapons. Right now I have to walk up to them, and then start attacking when I hear my character get hurt, which just sucks. Sighted players don't have this issue because they can see exactly when their character is in range and then attack first. I know because I know of someone who was able to run a mission without a shield by just luring the zombies to chase after him, and staying just barely out of their range to complete his mission. That was of course efore deathbringer zombies were added, but it's just to illustrate that they had an advantage because they could actually see the range of the zombies. That's a drastic case, but now, he also has that advantage when loot  hunting on the main maps. I do believe your melee weapons do have a slight range advantage, maybe of 1 tile, allowing you to attack first, and now because of this stamina change, that advantage might as well not be there.

2019-07-03 03:41:04

I'm glad you're all well, too. Okay, Aprone.

How nice to read your message on this topic.
As for emails, I thank you and say that you do not have to worry.
As for the vote placed on the server today. Do not worry. You are not spoiling the game, or making it easier. If that were true, players would not die on the maps and in the warehouses. during missions.
So this change, if implemented, will not make the game easier, but more fun.
My email is [email protected]

2019-07-03 04:27:42

Well it is good to here from you aprone, you have been missed! while we are throwing ideas and changes I would like to bring up forts. The idea of owning forts and defending them is great until you actually have to do it especially the way things are now. For one when you lowered the food to attack to allow lower players to be able to attack i don't think it was for seen that people would exploit this by making side chars specifically for that purpose. As forts are now it is pointless to fortify them since all one has to do to bring it down is have a bunch of side chars all go in there and take off the armor and just sit there until somebody comes back online. You don't even have to fight any more to bring down a fort. We can thank buzz and rocky's clan for exploiting this for us smile. raiders could take care of these chars but currently they don't work the way they should. So currently the attacking clan will win every time as it is now no matter what the defending clan does. If you look at the forts right now we have a bunch of them empty cause a peace deal didn't work since all it takes is for somebody to be friends to some body else that a clan don't like to get attacked and of course its impossible to defend a fort. well hopefully this could be looked at for the future.

2019-07-03 14:24:10

hi aprone.
i think the voting system on swamp is messed up.
i have checked the votes a few times doing the day and it keeps switching between 100% yes and 0% no and 100% no and 0% yes.
i don't know how the system works but it seems wierd to me.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2019-07-03 14:39:47 (edited by keyIsFull 2019-07-03 14:41:34)

The other thing about this is that now that we have to use guns, a lot more zombies are attracted. And if we continue to use melee but slower, we get hit more, which means that we get bloody clothes which attracts more zombies. THe zombies were made harder during the time when melee weapons could be used without penalty. So now swarms are a lot harder to deal with, especially at lower levels when you don't have enough points to increase your blocking, sneaking, speed, etc. So if you are going to keep this change then I think that at least at lower level, zombie swarms shouldn't be so inescapable. It pretty much blocks off the access to maps like sub2 unless you are fortunate enough to find a vulcan minigun or something that can clear out a huge swarm of zombies. Missions are also drastically harder , and missions are the main source of people's levels. So now a new player needs help from oen of the super overleveled people to complete missions that will actually let them catch up. I also doubt that with this change, people would be at nearly as high of a level as they are, because they would have not felt safe running a mission with 180 death bringer zombies solo. So The damage has already been done no matter how you spin it.

2019-07-03 15:02:26

Honest question here. I may have asked this before.

Does this game have an actual story yet? Or is it just a sandbox shooter with nearly infinite progression and a ton to explore? Also, is it possible to play with just a keyboard yet?

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-07-03 15:21:16

@jayde
yes. it's possible to play with only your keyboard. you'll have to play around with the keyconfic but it's indeed possible.
i won't say the game has an actual storry, but you can read some small storry thingys in the different safe zones.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2019-07-03 15:48:53

As someone that used to use the shield a lot during missions, i can say that even with the way the shield used to be, i would still get the hell beat out of me in DB mish, so would always have points in a weapon like shotguns or thrower for the backup, and with using running gear the zombies will still chase after me as i'm still making noise when i'm moving around, the issue is that on HC it is hard to keep a good stock of ammo to use weapons instead of melee, a DB mish will burn thru a shit ton of ammo, and for us that play HC more then normal it makes it very hard to mish to get levels and food for our forts(not that i have any right now haha)),and with there being a lot less loot on HC it is very hard to restock our ammo supplies

2019-07-03 16:19:42

Hi all.
@jaide:
You can use this one. I myself just made it, because I'm quite silly with my huge trackpad and I prefer the keyboard overall.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As1WzVAO2w9OhgjW9sD393O-1Ist
Keep in mind that you got to remove the dash and the copia thing in order for the file to work well with the game.
Take care.
Mike.

Take care.
Mike.

I don't play games as much as I wish, but you can know that it's me if there's a John Weed over there. Ha ha!

2019-07-03 18:59:53

there is a bug where your char starts walking in circles for no reason lol. maybe thats why some chars are walking out the sz

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2019-07-03 20:12:28 (edited by SirBadger 2019-07-03 20:23:43)

I'm probably being dence, it wouldn't be the first time, but I can't find the link for the vote.

also Aprone, as people regularly ask for mirror links to download swamp I wonder if it would be an idea to post the download links I have put on here for my ftp on your website as a secondary as depending on where people are in the world etc they are often able to get a good download result if it fails from your main links.

just a thunk.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-07-03 20:19:45

you do it from the server. Type /yes or /no to vote.

2019-07-03 20:24:34

ah thanks. lol didn't think of logging in to check that. so yes I was being dence.

Who's that trip trapping over My bridge? Come find out.

2019-07-03 23:14:15

@Jayde: Yeah, still mostly an open world shooter with "optional" missions. smile It can be played with just keyboard, if you remap forward and fire, but you will be slaughtered if you try to PVP this way. I think. Probably. I got slaughtered when I tried PVP and don't actually know. But i'd be surprised if this isn't the case.
Every now and then, I think about trying an SCS campaign that ignores the combat system and uses the enter / shift q events to implement something different, but, like everything I think about doing, it never actually happens. Kinda wondering why no one else has done so, afaik. It's the closest thing we have to a world engine we can accessibly make content for with minimal programming knowledge, somehow.
Ok, not no one. Aprone made the Pyramid campaign before menus were added. I made like 1/3 of one with jumping, but it keeps glitching and I probably wouldn't release it anyway. And Fyquest had artificial weapons from before the weapons in question were added to the game. ... holycrap Fyquest is older than the flamethrower and machete yikes. But those feel like cheating.

看過來!
"If you want utopia but reality gives you Lovecraft, you don't give up, you carve your utopia out of the corpses of dead gods."
MaxAngor wrote:
    George... Don't do that.