2019-06-24 07:46:55

I read through the bgt chapters 10 and 11. I understand the inheritance and interfaces. But here is my question. Let's say I have 2 people. So i have 2 objects with different names, amount of money, and popularity status. How would I refer to player 1's money? Or player 2's money? Do I need to add an identity variable and say, if(players[j].id==1)
//code

I initially wrote i, but site gave an error so I changed to j.

What is the i for? Is that where I enter the player? Like for example, players[2].money, will that refer to player 2's money? I have many more questions but this one is the most confusing

2019-06-24 08:24:14

Let's make it simple and fast: You code a class named player, with a property named money. Then you create two instances of that class and asign an amount of money to each of them. Now you can use player2.money; to get player2's money which is a number different than player 1's money. Here's the code
class player {
int money;
//constructor
player(int m) {
this.money=m;
}
}

void main()
{
player1=player(30)
player2=player(3400)
alert("information", "player1 is homeless because he got only "+player1.money+" dollars, While player2 soon buys a cor I9 laptop with 64 gigs of RAM and 25 TB SSD, only because he got "+player2.money+" dollars");
}
I hope it was clear. Also player2 lives in heaven. Don't go after him. You fail at finding him around current earth

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-06-24 08:39:00

lol ok thank you.

2019-06-24 11:49:48

Remember, classes are just objects. So, if you want to identify them by some id, you can use arrays or maybe even better dictionaries.

Roel
golfing in the kitchen

2019-06-24 14:45:32

Using the term better for bgt dictionaries isn't right at all time. BGT dictionaries can be a performance smasher if you go to far with them and set a lot of keys for systems like maps. In other languages however, It is probably right because it's a very neat way of handling/saving/returning the data, and they work nearly perfectly fine in other languages when it comes to map creation with dictionaries

---

2019-06-28 06:55:04 (edited by Zarvox 2019-06-28 07:15:21)

I'm having a very very difficult time with this. I can make 5 players, but bgt doesn't actually know that there are 5 players. For example, a for loop that makes players p1 through p5. Then if I press space it speaks p5's money. Only problem is, bgt wants to complain because it doesn't actually see p5.

String amount="p"+index;
//index is the for loop counter
player amount;
//that creates a player
We have 5 players now, labeled from p1 to p5. But the code for KEY_SPACE, speak(p5.money) does not work even though p5 exists. Help please

Update: I noticed why it is not working. It is creating the players inside of the for loop and so they are not global. How can I turn them global after the for loop?

2019-06-28 09:20:33

Ok. What you're doing isn't right. I would declare an array of type player before the for loop like this:
player@[] players;
now in the for loop, I do this:
players.insert_last(player());
This should create 5 players in the players array. Then you can access player5's money like this:
speak(players[5].money);
Oh by the way you can't name a variable what is in a string by just calling the string.
You can't dothis:
string a="hello";
int a=5;
then expecting this to work:
speak(hello);
and run with no errors.

---

2019-06-28 13:43:08 (edited by Zarvox 2019-06-28 14:19:47)

I have gotten the array to work, and I can create an infinite amount of players and it will cycle back to the first player correctly. Thank you so so much for helping me with this, I think I'm good on using classes now.

2019-06-28 14:49:58

very welcome

---