2019-05-30 13:42:20

UltraLeetJ wrote:
daisyalesoundworks wrote:

ReaComp has the ability to mix both signals simultaneously.

And so would any other compressor that reaper uses, too.
This was not very clear in the audio, but you and others might wish to note it for future reference.
In a nutshell thanks to the dry and wet sliders that reaper adds to every single effect we have access in parallel to both signals, all the time. SO it does not matter if it is reaComp, or waves c6, or whatever else. Hence why I had said such things are most likely achieved easier using reaper. This might explain why sometimes the compression effect or other things you apply might not be that noticeable at first--you would need to turn the dry signal completely off, or set it to minus infinity, so that you would have just the output of the compressor and nothing else. This is why its also better to work with sends and buses when more tracks and so on are involved, because you can then choose exactly how much of an effect you want applied without affecting the others--you might even pan the output of the fx differently, or boost something but only do it on the output of the effect (a bit of highs for instance) to give more impact to a glass breaking, and so on.

I'll say it again.

You're splitting hairs. I said we have a parallel compression going on through both faders.

You said no.

I elaborated and said, yes, in fact we do.

Then, you elaborated on the capability of both wet and dry signal.

Let's move on, shall we?

2019-05-30 16:54:40 (edited by UltraLeetJ 2019-05-30 16:56:37)

daisyalesoundworks wrote:

Let's move on, shall we?

offending post and posts removed. Sorry for the crude interaction and un-needed additional info

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-05-30 17:55:53 (edited by burak 2019-07-07 14:16:23)

Hello,
Here is my axe assignment:
https://we.tl/t-qdYN4ITi3v
I played with compression in your uncompressed sound but I couldn't notice anything.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-06-16 15:15:56 (edited by the blasting gd 2019-06-16 15:18:25)

Here's my latest assignment: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncu2nwjvtfns0 … 3.zip?dl=0
As you encouraged us to redo assignment 2 to get better practice, I did so and included the redone version of it in this pack as well. Maybe you could look at it again?
When it comes to processing your voice, I tried to filter out humming and hissing sounds which were present in the background, which is a delicate thing to do because process too much and you end up cutting important frequencies; too light a touch and you might as well not put one on.

Errare humanum est!

2019-06-18 03:36:57

Hey gang, I have set up a list for blind artists, both for music and sound design to share their stuff and get feedback. The list is called BAFeedback, to subscribe, send an email to:
[email protected]
It is very low traffic, and we have quite a few folks from the Reaper Without Peepers list on there, so it is a cool laid back gathering.
It is a great list to be on to have other blind sound sculptors critique your work and offer constructive criticism.
All are welcome, no matter the skill level. hope to hear your stuff on there.
Che

2019-06-26 11:54:53

Just an unrelated praise of Brians great work on this in particular and his unmatched awesomeness in general coming through.

Stumbled across this lessons over on the Ebon Sky Studios youtube channel and just wanted to show general appreciation for what he is doing here. What a brave new world we live in where there is this kind of content out there for free.
Brian, your commitment is inspiring!

End of praise, thanks for listening.

2019-07-07 06:57:58

Hey guys, I'm really sorry for the silence. Read on for reasons why I am delaying things, or end it here knowing they'll start back up again soon.

I have been applying for funding for two accessible games I'm making: Lost and Hound, and also the submarine game entitled Legacies.
I also applied for a contemporary popular music grant which I didn't get.

But anyway these grants, the workload is massive. All my free time has been going to the grants. I keep telling myself that I'll be able to fit in time for the next lesson but I'm just fried. Lost and Hound's application was 43 pages and Legacies was much longer.

The good news is, they're applied for and I don't have to think about them anymore.

Sound lessons, including my feedback on the last projects posted, will begin again soon. In the meantime, I've given you basic tools to work on your own sound library that you can use whenever you need it, give away, sell or whatever. I'd recommend creating a small library of themed sounds: elemental spells (pick one and do a variety of spell types), combat sounds, or anything else that is common in games, but more complicated than footsteps or simple foley like doors closing.

I think everyone has seen the incredible polish and liveliness that good EQing can give to sounds.

Okay sorry again for the lapse, more lessons coming soon!

2019-07-07 06:58:22

@231 thanks Honk!! That's so nice to hear. More lessons coming soon!

2019-07-07 07:50:58

Well, as a professional sound engineer, this does in deed sound interesting as far as how you are doing things

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2020-09-13 22:35:29 (edited by omer 2020-09-13 22:36:48)

hello,
i'm not sure whether you still checking the forum time to time or not but i wanted to ask again after a long time
are you ever going to continue this series?
i have to say even 3 of the lessons you've provided taught me enough to get the basics of the software and allowed me to learn more from here and there
hope you continue from where you left off when you have the time
thanks!

2020-09-16 02:43:51

hi all
this seems to be a stupid dummdumm question
ok, so the EQ, or any other effect doesn't even work
i've tryed rayEQ (the one that you used/default equalizer), raytune, autotune, and anything i found interresting
yeah, nothing seems to work no matter what i do
hell, i've even tryed to risc by razing the db, but the volume/quality won't budge no matter what i do
yeah, the same thing happens with band and frequency
can you help me with this?
thanks
regards

I am a hunter named Grunt. I didn't realize that until now.

2020-09-16 03:01:19

that's awfully vague.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-16 12:40:15 (edited by omer 2020-09-16 12:41:23)

yeah you should give more info

2020-09-16 22:10:05

ok
reaper v 6.13 evaluation version
ctrl+t, create track dialogue
i named it bla and pressed enter
i selected it with  the airo
armed it with f7, wasara said armed
i ecorded with my mike with has a lot of noise
then i played it and evrything is recorded fine
i pressed f then tabbed to the add dialogue, went to the treeview, pressed e, NVda said e q, i pressed enter on that
tabbed until i came to the frequency edit, selected unknown number, i didn't remember that number
deleted it then typed 200, pressed space, it played with the normal valu as when i recorded
changed it to 20, pressed space, same result
changed it to 2000, pressed space, same result
changed it to 6650, pressed space, same result
and i was like, ah! whats up with me not knowing how to make it work
then i went to the combo box and changed it to band
went to the bandwitth and tryed to mess with the numbers, 0, same result, 2, same result, 5, same, 8, same, 100, same, 1000, same, i really don't know
then i went to the gain and said, hey, will it damage my speakers if i change it to +7? i did, but the volume didn't move
thats all the info i have, and sorry for not providing info in the first poste, i am a noob at these stuff, thanks

2020-09-16 22:50:16

You have to understand what's going on here. Bands are frequencies that you are boosting or attenuating with the gain. So you set the center frequency, and it will act on that based on your settings with gain and also with bandwidth, which is literally how wide the band is. or to be expressed loosely like OK, our center is 3500Hz, so we'll work on plus or minus 300Hz.

I just think this comes down to incorrect use. Your frequency could have been too high or low by the time you turned up the gain that there is literally nothing to boost. You also have four tabs. The outer two i.e. 1 and 4 are low and high shelves respectively. The inner 2, i.e. 2 and 3 are set to band. You could experiment with the outer two and set them, then reduce the gain to see if they are cut.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-16 23:11:27

oww, thanks a lot ironcrosser, thank you!

2020-09-16 23:52:31 (edited by E-t-i-eloquence 2020-09-16 23:54:10)

ugg, the frequencies between the 4 bands confligt with each other in someway. is there a logic or some starting points, like to delete a noise from a hissy recording, to incriment the consenents or something that can boost the quality of my sound?! like somekinda ruffly xx herts mite be the noise, and x herts is the speech, something like that

2020-09-17 00:04:53

It really sounds like you need an audio fundamentals crash course.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-17 01:20:08

yes, where can i get one

2020-09-17 02:13:27

Not sure, the one I would recommend is gone.

End racism
End division
Become united

2020-09-17 21:16:48

hmm, dificult to try evry number with evry combination in such a borring way, plus there 4 copies of the same, borring, combination trying requirers