2019-06-25 21:21:39

I have another question as well. Are these games compilable and distributable? so can we release sable games to the public? I'm assuming yes because you guys are making a game in sable, but I just would like to clarify.

2019-06-25 21:26:08

and another question. Is sable ever gonna be released? I just ask because you come up with all those youtube stuff that seams like the engine is already done, but we don't get a release. Not to hurry you or something, just interested.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-06-25 21:52:26 (edited by Honk 2019-06-25 21:57:27)

@250, 251 and 252:

I'm not the development team but I read through the whole threat now and thus can repeat the answers Lemm gave to that three questions:

250:
There is no definitive pricing decision made yet. They however stated already that the price will be around that of a normal game, so I estimate between 20 and 60 bucks. Some engines cost a couple thousand dollars so thats definitively a relief for us big_smile

251:
Lemm already stated that they don't have any concrete infos about exporting games from Sable. So we will need to wait patiently for them to reach that part of development.

252:
There is no official release date out. The team probably has a fix goal in mind but they don't want to make it public yet because in development unforseen things can delay a project quite a bit.
We all saw on A Heroes Call that a to early release deadline can hurt the finished product. (No AHC-bashing btw because they got it fixed really soon and AHC is awesome) But they had to release a relatively buggy first version because they commited to that particular date to early.
Edit:
You said something about Sable beeing already complete. It may seem from what we see in that videos, but I bet you there are some major issues they just don't show because they are clever advertisers tongue
Also as we see in this threat there are a lot of suggestions from this community they should include in the finished product and for what Lemm shows they are quite open to that kind of feedback. So Sable will probably go through at least a couple complete overhauls before they are satisfied with it and release it.

Hope I answered in the spirit of Ebon Sky and took some workload of their shoulders instead of causing confusion they have to clarify instead...

2019-06-26 08:58:30

i've bin reading this topic for a while, and some questions came in to my mind
1   can battle of some kind have a music, like       now we're fighting a dragon,  an epic music will play   dring the  that time

2   can special skills have special itemes? like,   the player is walking someware, and he picked up  a special rar item   allows  him to cast a skill or a special movement
3 do we have like other characters  exploring  with you? lets say i met one of them in a place like  a cave and he agreeded joyning me in the battle
that's all i can think of

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-06-27 09:44:33

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the comments, I’ll try and answer a few of the posts below:

@number  249, thanks for the wall of text hahaha, only kidding I really don’t mind at all. Firstly thanks for all the positive  comments, its great to hear that you think the way in which we’ve handled communication  so far has been well received. There’s actually four members of the team , myself Paul (aka Lemm hahah) the programmer, Justin and Thaddeus the game designers and Brian our sound designer.   The whole team here at Ebon Sky Studios is really keen to listen too and take onboard suggestions and ideas for Sable, since its not just a development tool for us but a tool for the whole community. One of the big issues facing game developers and software development in general is something called feature creep, which is where you just keep adding more and more features above and beyond the original  planned design, and release dates get pushed further and further back with each new feature. I think when creating a tool like Sable it’s very easy to fall into this trap,     since there’s always something new  that you want to add as a developer, or something new the community wants added. The whole team here is really keen to listen to ideas and suggestions from the community, but it’s really nice you recognise in your post that despite all the best intentions and wanting to implement as many suggestions as possible from the community that it just isn’t possible to meet everyone’s expectations. We have a road map of where we want Sable to be come its release and we’re trying our best not to stray too far from that road map whilst making sure we can meet as many expectations as possible. I think an important thing to remember with Sable is that it is still in its prototype stage and although not all suggestions and ideas will make it into Sables first release that’s not to say providing Sable is successful that there won’t be additions  in later iterations of Sable as again we are weary of feature creep and with each new feature pushing Sables release further and further away. As for your  suggestions, there are some really good ideas in there, some of the suggestions such as advanced Enemy AI, alteration of core battle mechanics are all really good suggestions but some of them possibly outside the scope of where we want to be for Sables initial release, but again that’s not to say they may not make it into a later version of Sable. As for the flurry attack in Entombed , that could be achieved within sables current ability creation tool.  Sorry for my wall of text reply  by the way  it was a little longer than I intended hahah.
@number  250, 251, 252 and 253, thanks for answering the above three questions Honk, , its really nice when the community comes in and helps with stuff like this as I don’t always get a chance to get onto the forum and answer posts straight away as I am often busy with work, life, family and of course working on sable and crimson eclipse.  One thing I would add, is the purpose of crimson eclipse our first game title is to give the community  an idea of the type of games we want to create here at Ebon sky studios, but also a chance to road test Sable  as although lots of test maps  and worlds have been created using sable, this will be the first full game created using Sable so will allow us to hone, tweak and fine tune Sable and of course to give an example of what can be created using Sable
@number 254. Thanks for the post. to answer your questions. Yes You can select certain music for specific battles, in video ten whilst creating the dragon encounter  there was an option to select if I wanted to choose a different battle music for that encounter , although I didn’t actually select anything different, there was the option there, you can also choose for a different background ambience  for battles too. although it isn’t possible to  have an item/piece of equipment grant the player a specific ability you can give both items and equipment on hit and on equip status affects, so you could have the player find a  rare weapon for example which has a unique status affect , like in the latest video with the weapon which drains its target Hp. As for new members joining your party mid game, we currently have sable set up for our first game title crimson eclipse, which has a set party amount, so there isn’t currently an option in sable for new members to join the party mid game, but this is a feature lots of people have expressed  wanting in sable so is likely to be added before Sables initial release.

As ever thanks for all the positive comments, sorry for the slightly long post

The Ebon Sky Studios Team
email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/ebonskystudios/
Twitter: @ebonskystudios

2019-06-27 11:14:25

Hay Paul, nice surprise video!
Though I really enjoyed it, it has; rather unfortunately; forced some questions into my mind that I need to ask sooner rather than later.
Regarding status effects, is it possible to...
1. assign a specific spell/elemental damage to the clearing conditions; IE, fire attacks melt ice, but weapon attacks do nothing.
2. assign additional damage parameters to clearing of status effects; IE, melting a target that's week to water will cause water damage do to the ice thawing.
3. Allow a character/enemy to hold/equip an item/ability that keeps a status effect from wearing off; IE, an item that makes ice never melt over time, but can still be thawed with fire attacks/spells/items.
4. Allow damage from something like poison to accumulate over time; IE, 3 percent on turn 1 becomes 6 percent on turn 2, etcetera.
5. allow the possibility for optional character vocals to indicate status conditions; IE bringing up a character's info page would alert the player that something's not well with a character.
This could be something as simple as low health, to something as complex as a character is badly poisoned and could pass out at any moment if not treated.
Notice I said badly poisoned in that example.
That's different than poisoned, as badly poisoned characters take drastically increased damage over time; both inside and outside of battle, while poisoned characters simply take a fixed amount of damage each turn in battle until it wears off or the battle ends.
6. Using the previous example as an, example, might it be possible to allow something like poisoned characters to progress to badly poisoned status if the condition isn't treated; IE, a poisoned character who isn't treated within 5 turns has a 20 percent chance of progressing to badly poisoned status rather than being cured.
7. Allow a character who has been knocked out for to long to require something like the services of a priest in a nearby town to revive them instead of simply being able to use a revival item on them.
This could be one of those progressing effect chains I just talked about, and could work using the number of steps the party has taken after the afflicted character passed out as a sort of timer mechanism.
In a game with multiple options for party members, this could even work as a way to force unprepared players to recruit new members if the timer on the second status condition expires and the character is now permanently dead.
Some D&D® campaigns do this.
Regarding fast travel...
So I was racking my brain to figure out a way for you guise to implement some kind of fast travel system that wouldn't be to hard for you guise to code, but would also be simple enough for creators to use, and this is what I came up with.
Using trigger events, the creator could set up houses dotted throughout the game world, and players could buy them.
Within each house is a portal that links to all the other houses the player has bought.
When the portal is accessed, the game would check the list of trigger events associated with the houses and offer a list of places the player could travel to based on that data.
Another option would be to somehow allow the creator to set a location flag in each destination that would allow the list to populate based on which flags have been turned on.
This; however; creates another problem of needing the creator to set another flag in each destination that determines where the player will spawn when traveling to said destination.
This system does offer the benefit of letting creators build in something like an airship traveling system or anything else they'd feel the need to include; like a dragon slave.
All you guise would need to do is add in the ability for creators to assign sound files to the start and end of the travel transition; well that needs to be an option anyway, and you could then create any fast travel system you could imagine.
Regarding purchase options:
Yes, I know you haven't worked out any details yet, but I just wanted to ask if it might be possible to offer your games through itch.io.
It's a vary easy site to use, and doesn't require paypal.
You don't even have to make an account, or save your credit card info to said account, if you don't want to.
Well that's it for now.
Keep up the good work!
PS; I wrote this post just before you posted, so one of my questions might have already been answered.
Later!

2019-06-27 13:06:37 (edited by Ahng 2019-06-27 13:11:38)

three black noises,
So, About the poison needed to be treated by a priest or something,
That would require the maker of the game to add a town, than a priest. What about items that cure about 10 persent of poison? add levels to poisons.e,.g,  from 1 to 35 is low potincy, from 36 to 60 is poison, like the average poison, and from 61 to 100 is badly poisoned.
so, I am very bad at making ideas for numbers. You can makre it so that, when number is added to poison level, more damage is taken. e.g, I said from 1 to 35 would be low potincy. you could make it so that from 1 to 3, or to 5, the damage taken would be 1 health taken for eatch 2 turns. from 6 to 15 takes about 2 to 3 health per 2 turns. well, from 16 to 25, maybe 5 to 8 damage? Just a suggestion.. You could make it so that the developer can control the damage, but the poison will take no more than 20 dammage.

see ya later. Hope you don't fall off a roof.

2019-06-30 13:00:10

Hi,

-@number 256, sorry for the late reply. thanks for the post, really pleased to hear you enjoyed the latest video.  Wow, that was a lot of questions  in one  post haha, I’ll try and answer them all below, but my reply is also quite long:
I think one thing to remember with Sable is that it is still in its prototype stage, so there are still additions and features from both ourselves and the community which we would like to see added to Sable, not everything will make it into Sables initial release since as mentioned in my previous post we are very aware of feature creep and  not wanting to be constantly adding  new features and therefore pushing Sables first release further and further away, but that’s not to say there won’t be more additions and features in later iterations of Sable providing it is successful. Regarding your questions, the easiest one to answer is the fast travel, this is already built into Sable, its in the object creation tool menu (I think in video 2 when I’m scrolling through the list of available object creation options you briefly hear it as an option in there). How they work is, you can  name them whatever you like, you can select which sounds play when you reach the fast travel point, also which radar sound plays as you approach  and also the sound played when using the fast travel, in this way its possible to have the fast travel as almost anything you wanted, so you could have a portal as you mentioned and add portal type sounds, or maybe a shrine  you pray at to use the fast travel point, , or maybe even an airship port/hanger  where you boarded airship to take you to various fast travel locations throughout your game world. You can travel between fast travel points you have activated, so when you first find a fast travel point it  activates and you can then fast travel back to that point from any other fast travel point you have  previously activated. as for your first three questions, some of what you requested could be done using Sable’s currently built in resilience system, for example attacking something resilient to fire with a fire attack would do nothing. There is an ability for removing/clearing active status affects, this can be used to either remove specific active affects or all active affects (you specify this at the point of creation), potentially you could create this so it removed some specific affect types, then assign that to a weapon and hitting a target with that weapon would then remove those active affects if present. Sable doesn’t currently have the type of complex clearing system for status affects you mention, Using the previously mentioned removing active affects ability is the only current system for removing active affects, or for non-permanent affects letting them fade  over time. As for your ice thawing and then doing water damage, sadly it’s not possible in Sable. although I do think its a really neat idea, with the exception of ice turning into water as it thaws I can’t really see other situations where an attack  type would change its damage affect type over time other than ice turning to water, but that really only happens since ice is just frozen water. It is however possible to assign multiple damage types to an attack , so for example both water and ice, since I’d imagine most enemies vulnerable to water (say fire for example) would probably be vulnerable to ice too since ice is kind of wet , or would at least melt on contact  with fire turning to water anyway. As for the item to prevent a status affect fading , although you couldn’t do exactly what you are asking , you could however have equipment which protects /is resilient to certain attacks, you could also assign certain status affects to equipment  which would grant status affects, buffs or depuffs to its wearer. As for the remaining questions, the progression chains you mention aren’t possible in Sable, but I like the concept/idea, it’s something I’ll mention to the rest of the team. I also like the menu idea too, I think it was Xoren who mentioned something similar before earlier in the topic with the suggestion of a more customisable menu system with more sound interactions, which the team really liked, . Regarding itch.io, it’s not something I’ve heard of before, but it’s definitely something I’ll look into if its nice and accessible  as it would be nice to offer various payment options to offer the smoothest possible experience for anyone purchasing Sable once its ready for release/sale.

2019-07-03 09:53:01

Morning Everyone,

I just thought I’d let you all know , I’m off on holiday for two weeks from later today, this means I won’t be on the forum or checking the topic. I just thought I’d mention it in case any new posts come  in  as I didn’t want anyone thinking I was ignoring their posts, but I just won’t see or be able to reply to any new replies past today for the next couple of weeks.

Take care

Paul Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2019-07-03 19:51:43

Wow you are starting to ramp up my enthusiasm again.
I think there aren't enough tools to make your own maps. Adventure at C: and 2D platformer are 2, but there only on a small square.
By the way, can Sable currently generate a standalone test world that you can play? Just curious.

2019-07-23 12:31:10

Hi,

@number 260. Sorry for the late reply, , I only got back from Vegas late last week and it’s taken me a day or two to recover, what with time differences and the fact it was about a 13 hour  or so flight. pleased you enjoyed the last video. I agree completely with your comments, I think for sighted folks  there are a ton of tools for creating your own games, but very few in the blind community, which is one of the reasons for creating Sable. As for creating a test world, Sable doesn’t have an option to create a randomly generated map for testing purposes, but it’s possible to set up your own test worlds. due to the simplicity of creating a new project/map  (as seen in video one) you can set up a new project/world for testing in probably less than a minute. I have a few projects I often use for testing  new features, technically the project created in the video series is just another test world .

Paul  Lemm
Ebon Sky Studios

2019-07-25 18:54:00

I have a request for this product. Can you please add an ability to use you're screen reader speech instead of sapi? i have personally never liked sapi speech, and an option to use our screen reader spech instead would be really nice.

2019-08-08 13:04:13 (edited by Honk 2019-08-08 15:52:13)

Just fyi:

There is a small content update on the Ebon Sky Studios Youtube channel. They've uploaded a new music track probably for their game Crimson Eclipse called "Town 1 loop (kazoo version)".
This one is contemplative and hilarious at the same time. Actually a pretty bold artistic choice which I love a lot! The game's name on the one hand sounds pretty cool, awesome and serious but what we got as music so far goes in the oposite direction and feels more like a light hearted, funny or weird world building instead. This makes me very curious what the end product will be like.

This is probably not quite the right thread to post this info but it is another video on the youtube channel which this thread is all about, so maybe its just fine here...

Edit:
No one ever bothers to read the video description, so did I. So I missed this part:

This came about as a joke. The scrapping of the original town theme and replacing it with only kazoos was a sarcastic suggestion that was made on skype, one that Brian was apparently more than happy to take literally for the sake of entertainment.

Nonetheless, I like it. Please include that into your game somehow, even if its just anywhere in the bonus content!

2019-08-08 14:51:00

I like it to. Oh and by the way, no one is two words, just for future refrence.

2019-08-08 15:54:52

Thanks Ty for the correction, I actually appreciate it because I'm still learning to express myself in this language.
Oh and by the way, in this instance too has two o's, just for future ref(e)rence tongue

2019-08-09 12:35:05

Hi,

the track actually came about as a bit of a joke, in our last Ebon sky studios meeting our sound designer   (Brian) sent us a couple of tracks he’d been working on, one was a town track, it was really good, with a nice little subtle hint of menace  to the track and just the right kind of feel for what we wanted, however Brian asked if there was anything else we wanted added  or removed and Thaddeus one of the game designers sarcastically suggested replacing everything with kazoos throughout the track,  Brian decided for a little amusement he’d do just that and later that day sent us the alternate  version of the track with Kazoos hahaha, so that’s how the ‘Kazoo version’ of the town track came about, since we thought it was quite funny we thought we’d share it.

Paul

2019-08-09 12:45:30

This Thaddeus guy not only shares two sylables and all but three letters with my real name, he also seems to have a type of humor I can fully relate to, at least according to this obviously groundbreaking idea and his dialogue lines in your epic dragonslayer questline.

+1 for beeing awesome, silly and totally inefficient with your actual working time tongue

2019-08-09 16:49:03

Hi,

, I think one of the reasons the team here get along so well is we all have a similar sense of humour. Game/software Development  can be stressful at times, so it’s nice we’re all on the same wave length and can have a joke and a laugh  while we work, be it something silly  like the Kazoo track or some off the wall test map one of us has created, it’s always good to have a little fun. next week I’ll speak to the rest of the team and see if maybe we  can put up a clip of the original  town track so you can hear what it sounded like before the Kazoos, as its another really good track from our sound designer

Paul

2019-08-10 11:00:13

I understand you have not determined a price for Sable yet. Don’t worry, I can help with that.

Starting price is 100 dollars. For every time someone asks for a release date, add 10. For every time someone asks for the price of Sable, add 20. For every time someone asks where they can download Sable, add 30.

No more repetitive questions!!! You’re welcome!

2019-08-16 22:32:07 (edited by lemm 2019-08-16 22:34:11)

Hi,

@number 269, love your pricing stratigy suggestion! Hahaha. Btw where can I download Sable?

Paul

2019-08-16 22:32:37

Hi Everyone,

For anyone interested, last week we uploaded a music track which came about as a bit of a joke when sarcastically one of the team suggested replacing everything in a town track our sound designer had created for crimson eclipse with Kazoos. I mentioned on here last week that I’d upload the original town track (before the Kazoos were added hahaha), for anyone who wanted to hear what the track actually sounds like. Anyway, the link is below for anyone interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRF9b3QR2jk

Paul

2019-08-17 03:33:25

You know you have a professional sound designer when the logo is in the soundtrack periodicly to prevent copywright and steeling. I know that is the exact reason for doing that. Bravo to you for knowing your stuff

2019-08-18 21:14:44

Hi,

@number 272, yeah your exactly right, the logo in the track is a watermark, our sound designer always adds them to any tracks we put out on any of our social media pages or YouTube.

Paul

2019-08-19 06:14:40

that's just a loop? wow! so much atmosphere! it brought tears to my eyes. so, how was that made, and will you be selling the games soundtrack along with the game?

Blindness isn't a disability, but a diffrent way of seeing things

2019-08-19 19:28:33

Hi,

@number 274, thanks for the post, really pleased to hear you liked the town track, I’ll pass on your comments to our sound designer (Brian from Daisy Ale Sound works) and let him know you liked the track. Regarding selling the soundtrack, nothings set in concrete  yet, but if people are interested/like the soundtrack then it’s probably something we’d consider. I’m not the sound designer  so I can’t give specifics on how tracks are created, but as more of an overview, we as a team first decide on what we want a certain track to feel/sound like, any particular  emotion we want the track to invoke and any specific sounds or instruments we want in the track (such as kazoos hahaha), then our sound designer builds it layer by layer adding each sound or instrument individually.  Again, I’m not the sound designer  so I’m probably over simplifying  the process as it’s a lot more complex than that, with timings , tune and  many other factors. I kind of imagine the process being similar to that of a composer orchestrating a group of musicians , timing each individual to play their instrument at the right time to the right tune and notes to produce the end result of the required song.  As mentioned I know that doesn’t exactly explain the process of creating a track, but hopefully gives at least a slight overview. I just want to again say thanks for the positive feedback, its really great to hear people like the music we are creating for Crimson Eclipse.

Paul
The Ebon Sky studios Team