2019-06-23 11:22:26

Hello!
So, there is that option to disable the video intercept and move to the newer API. Should I disable it What are the pros and cons? For now, I've left it as it is.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-06-23 15:52:21

It allows JAWS to get information about an application using data from the video card. Nowadays you can disable the option (or just uninstall the accessibility driver from programs and features which will have the same result.) FS is moving to a more standards-based approach to getting information from applications instead of building the data itself.

They're not yet disabling the access driver themselves because they still consider the new, proper way to get information as experimental in JAWS.

I've had no issues when disabling the access driver and it's the first thing I do once JAWS installs. Most of Windows 10 can't be used with the access driver anyway, so it's starting to serve less and less of a purpose.

2019-06-25 15:21:16

What kind of information would an application put on a video card, and is this different from a graphics card?
I have an HP computer with an AMD processor with Radian on it.
I heard that older versions of Windows used the MSAA driver, but a new driver has since then replaced that, but I don't know how that works.
Also, I heard that Mac uses an unusual interface that makes Voiceover stop working if you don't have a monitor hooked up to your Mac. I found this out when the lid of the Mac came off completely to the point the ribbon cable just snapped. When I tried to start it up, I didn't hear anything.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-06-25 15:29:38

How to disable it? In what menu is it, i'm using latest jaws version

2019-06-25 15:56:36

You disable it from within Settings Center, miscellaneous branch

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-06-25 18:36:47

a word of caution to anyone who uninstalls this program. If you use an older program that does not have the newer accessibility stuff, you might lose access to that program.

For example, at work i use JAWS with Quick
books, and when I unchecked the box, JAWS support for that program went away.