2019-06-24 09:13:40 (edited by magurp244 2019-06-24 09:15:14)

As reported by [arstechnica]:

The Raspberry Pi foundation has announced the release of the next version of Raspberry Pi Micro-computer, promising desktop level performance comparable to entry level x86 systems. Its built around a Broadcom BCM2711 SoC with four 1.5GHz Cortex A72 cPU cores, 1, 2, or even 4 GB of DDR4 ram, Gigabit Ethernet, 4 USB Ports with two being USB 3.0, USB-C port for power supply, Headphone Jack, and two Micro HDMI ports instead of one larger HDMI port. It also still includes Wifi, with an upgraded 5.0 Bluetooth.

The base 1GB ram Pi 4 version starts at 35$ like the original Pi 3, but now their are higher tiers with more ram. The 2 GB version goes for 45$, and 4 GB version for 55$. The Raspberry Pi foundation says the Pi 4 will be in production until January 2026.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-06-24 09:24:24

sounds fun, I might get my hand's on 1.
Can i pre order them?

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-24 09:41:58

I believe its available right now. When I say it will be in production until 2026, I think they meant they'll be manufacturing and supporting them until 2026. There's a Buy Now option available [here] on the announcement page that shows licensed resellers, so far in the US that includes Canakit, Chicago Electronic Distributors, PiShop.us, and Element 14. There's also a listing on adafruit [here] but its out of stock.

2019-06-24 17:07:42

I'd check that out for sure.

2019-06-24 17:40:31

Thanks for the share. I've always had the intention to buy a PI, but didn't know what I'd do with it or how to set it up. Maybe with a few extra dollars lying around I'll get one.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-06-24 18:01:34

Oh, cool!

2019-06-24 18:16:26

I wonder if WIndows could be hosted on it. I could do my own mini computer with that thingy!

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-06-24 18:40:54

Sexy.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-06-24 21:54:29

Well (not kind a sexy), but if I have the time I will by it. The only problem is that my country isn't so popular I'm afrade there's not unit... theresn't units here.

73 Wj3u

2019-07-10 04:24:59

Uh oh, best hold your orders of the new Raspberry Pi 4 for a bit, in an article just posted on [arstechnica] the developers admit that the Pi 4 models currently have a faulty USB-C design. They hope to roll out a new board revision in the "next few months".

2019-07-10 05:14:26

It just means it won't work with more powerful adapters right?
Still, this and the need for a micro HDMI to HDMI cable are kind of annoying I would think.

2019-07-10 06:20:37

Per the article:

Two "CC" pins on a USB-C port are supposed to each get their own 5.1K ohms resistor, but Raspberry Pi came up with its own circuit design that allows them to share a single resistor. This is not a compliant design and breaks compatibility with some of the more powerful USB-C chargers out there.

Whether your USB-C charger works with the Pi 4 has to do with whether it uses an "e-marked" cable. E-marked cables are fully featured USB-C cables with chips inside that negotiate power management, accessory modes, data rates, and other communication specs. Since the Pi 4 USB-C port is wired incorrectly, these smart cables will detect the Pi 4 as an "Audio Adaptor Accessory" and refuse to charge them. Usually, e-marked cables are more expensive and come with larger, higher-powered items, like a USB-C laptop.

So in other words, you can't use more powerful power supplies with it, which would likely negatively effect performance. It will likely still work, but then why spend the money to purchase knowingly defective hardware when a fix is in the pipeline? Also, I don't think your the only one questioning the mini HDMI ports, but eh.

2019-07-10 14:51:17

I was going to buy a few to experiment with (I have interest in helping get cheap computers + spread knowledge about them to local people in poverty) but I kinda wanna wait a few months while these issues roll out.

you like those kinds of gays because they're gays made for straights

2019-07-10 18:48:55

Missed that last part about the ECables, thanks.
Also that's a cool thing to do with your skills Daigonite.

2019-09-11 22:49:45

Is there a way to install Orca on Raspbian? I really want to get one of these, and the people behind Ubuntu Mate are taking forever to release a version for the new model. Can I flash the Raspbian image to an SD card, access it via SSH, and type sudo apt-get install gnome-orca? Will it come with the speech engine and start talking immediately?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-09-12 00:53:17

Yes, though getting it to work in the desktop environment, at least with some guides, you will require an external USB audio dongle. Two such guides are [here] and [here].

2019-09-12 01:48:37 (edited by Chris 2019-09-12 01:49:57)

Thanks for this information. I think I'm going to be getting the 4 GB model. Now that the Pi has USB 3.0 and Gigabit Ethernet, I might be able to do some cool stuff. Do I have to use a USB sound device? I thought sound would be supported, especially if I plan on using the Raspbian image with the GUI. I'm off to order the Pi. This should be fun!

2019-09-12 04:54:31

I'm not sure if TTS support on the raspi 4 is any better than those on previous versions, the uSB dongle is only for the desktop audio output, not the terminal. I'm uncertain as to the specifics for this, something with finicky Alsa audio drivers perhaps. Also, be warned that don't think the Rasberry Pi 4 USB-C power supply fix has rolled out yet, so any board you buy right now might still be limited in the power cables you can use, unless you go for something like the raspi 3 b+.

2019-09-12 04:59:47

I only plan to use the official power supply, so should I be concerned? No, I really don't want an older generation model.

2019-09-12 05:02:17

Is this a good brand of computer? I currently have a Lenovo, and I had a Asus previously. Where does the Pie stand? Below, above, or mid pack? Thanks.
PS. It guys remind me of car guys. I'm apart of both worlds, so i get it. I'd call it beefy over sexy.

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here

2019-09-12 06:01:31

The Raspberry Pi is a computer that's about the size of a credit card. It uses an ARM processor and primarily runs Linux. As far as I know, it is not possible to run Windows on it. Microsoft offers Windows IoT, but from what I can tell, it only runs specialized stuff, not standard Windows software.

2019-09-12 07:45:30

Basic analog cables should work fine, but because of the flaw e-marked USB-C cables will interpret it as an audio adapter and not supply power. Its a bit obtuse, but I think what it could mean is things like not being able to hook an e-marked USB-C into a laptop or other device to power the pi and simultaneously transfer data, video, etc. among other things.

@20
The Raspberry Pi is a family of micro computer boards for hobbyists, or generally anyone who wants a nice little pocket PC. It comes with jumper pins for powering and controlling sensors, motors, switches, etc. and various other gadgets. Generally speaking these are lower power devices compared to PC's, like netbooks. They generally run linux variations like Debian, Android, or Raspbian, but have full desktops, can stream video, audio, play music or games, you can even convert them into gaming consoles,or even use them as cellphones. The Pi 4 though is rated to be as powerful as a low end PC and can have upto 4 GB ram. Mostly they're fun to tinker with, like slotting cards into a desktop tower case, only without costing thousands of dollars, heh.

2019-09-14 06:51:27 (edited by Chris 2019-09-14 06:52:52)

Well, this is disappointing. Orca doesn't work in Raspbian. I followed the second guide, but all I hear is "screen reader on" when I press Alt F2 and type orca. Pressing keys results in absolutely no speech. Does this simply not work? If so, this is stupid! Do I really have to wait for Ubuntu Mate to use the GUI? Why doesn't Raspbian come with Orca out of the box? Has anyone written to the Raspberry Pi foundation asking for Orca to be included in the distro?

This is really really sad, especially when the device is designed to be an educational tool. I can still access it via SSH, but really? I guess they never thought that blind people might want to use these. *sigh*

2019-09-14 07:47:48

As per the first guide, you may need an external USB audio dongle for Orca output in the desktop environment.

2019-09-14 07:58:30 (edited by Chris 2019-09-14 07:59:39)

I was using a USB dongle with my headphones connected to it. Does this not work in the version of Raspbian based off of DebianBuster?