2019-06-23 10:43:17

Hello all,

Here I describe my problem with getting JAB to work. If anyone had trouble enabling it and then were able to fix their problem, please read on.

I am required to use IntelliJ for my job. For it to work JAB must be enabled. Fortunately, I was successful at enabling JAB on my work computer by running the following command in my JRE root directory:
bin\jabswitch.exe -enable

So, on my work computer I checked IntelliJ and it works no problem. I get screen reader feedback for all GUI elements.

However, coming home for the weekend I wanted to install IntelliJ and practice using it. I was pretty sure I enabled JAB about 8-12 months ago and used it successfully to use some Java app. So, first I tried  just running IntelliJ, but no luck. NVDA wasn’t able to get any info about the GUI and all I got was “unknown focus”.

So, I went to ease of access center, then use computer without display. On the very bottom there is a checkbox for “enable java access bridge”. It was already checked.

I tried manually enabling JAB using the same command in command prompt, like I did at work. As opposed to work I have multiple 32 bit JREs/JDKs on my machine. I went into each JRE and JDK bin directory (including the internal JREs inside the JDKs) and ran the “jabswitch -enable” command. In each case I got the feedback on command prompt that JAB was enabled. Restarted the computer and IntelliJ still doesn’t work.

To make sure it really was a JAB thing and not just a IntelliJ thing I got the recommended app by Oracle for testing whether JAB works (SwingSet2) and same problem. Nothing, but “unknown focus”.

Has anyone faced similar problems? If so, how were you able to resolve them?

Many Thanks,

2019-06-23 15:40:25

I managed to fix the problem.

I needed to get the  “WindowsAccessBridge-32.dll” and place it in the “C:\Windows\SysWOW64”. After restarteing NVDA  everything works.

2019-06-23 18:33:41

Hi.
That will only be a temporary fix because since Java 9, they have only released 64 bit versions of Java (and the Java access bridge) and since nvda is only compiled in 32 bit, it's just a question of time, before it stops functioning.

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-06-24 00:26:24

It already has stopped functioning. Even visual studio no longer ships JDK 8.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-06-24 01:15:10

Well to be fair. Java will still function as it always has done, but the accessibility will be sloppy at best

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter