2019-06-23 05:29:07

I just got a new laptop, and my parents are going to kill me last week if I don't get an anti-virus by the end of this week.

I need something that is afordable, maybe can make exclusions if I nee to, like bgt games, and doesn't flag everything, o and also that doesn't screw with my computer and slow it down... Avast!

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-06-23 06:19:16 (edited by Leonidas 2019-06-23 06:20:25)

try to use the [smadav]

2019-06-23 06:25:55

If your running windows 10, your fine with Windows Defender. I've mentioned before that there are a few compelling reasons not to go with third party anti-virus software as mentioned [here], not the least of which is that they can increase your attack surface, often behave like malware themselves, and that hackers as recently as this year have penetrated anti-virus companies to use as vectors as covered [here].

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-06-23 08:05:13 (edited by defender 2019-06-24 00:12:22)

I would just not install the browser add-on if the AV you go with offers one then, I never did anyway because I found them too picky.
I just use an add blocker (mine is Adblock+ with a couple added lists) and try to avoid obviously sketchy sites.  I also clear my internet temp files weekly...  Though I doubt that has much of an effect as most attacks would be launched long before that.

I also use a password manager (I like Last Pass) and store all my critical stuff in there, email accounts, banking info, paypal, any site I've paid for stuff on, even my SSN and license keys for software.  It helps you generate really powerful passwords (I use 12 characters) with a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.  Also, after copying and pasting a password, I clear the clipboard, and I don't store any passwords or personal info in plane text anywhere on my computer.  I did before I had a password manager, but even then I used a program called AES Crypt to password protect the files, gave them super weird extensions like Z~2 or L|9 with filenames that were just long strings of numbers and letters, and avoided grouping card numbers and SSN's in the standard style, putting spaces in weird spots to make it harder to run a search rutene.

More powerful addons like Ghostery or privacy cleaner are useful as well, if at times annoying (when some part of a site won't work until you figure out what to whitelist) as they can both reduce your attack surface and speed up your browsing.

Aside from that, I just do a full scan with the free version of Malware Bytes weekly, and I've adjusted all my settings so that it looks in archives and on external drives (I scan my external HDD periodically) and made it ask before deleting or quarantining stuff.

I also make backups of my most important files, school work, settings saves for programs I use allot, sound projects I'm working on, audio game saves, my windows settings VIA Windows Easy Transfer, anything I can't get back pretty easily, to the cloud and to a 16GB flash drive (that I always keep at home) as well.  I back things up every week or just add files as needed when it's important.  Sync.com is what I use, but DB, PCloud, Google Drive, or 1Drive are all good choices as well.

If you really want something realtime than Malwarebytes Pro would be a fine choice, and I've also heard good things about NOD 32, from Eset, but I don't see the point in paying so much per year when Win Defender and those other add-ons, combined with some common sense can do the job just fine.  Avoiding attack vectors and keeping backups up to date is more than half the battle, and most virus's you might get won't be any more than minor annoyances anyway, but if things are backed up, you can always reinstall Windows and pick up where you left off without a ton of trouble.

2019-06-23 08:39:50

Actually thats a good point, add blockers are all but mandatory at this point. uBlock Origin is another good one, along with noScript, though as defender mentioned you may need to similarly whitelist some things with noScript for some sites to function properly. Keepass is another password manager you could look into as well.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-06-23 13:17:42

i am using kaspersky internet security,  it's not bad
their support team quick,  and responsive

2019-06-23 14:09:27

Agree with magurp244 here. Windows defender plus malware bites is fine for me as far as viruses go.
i also have an add blocker and use C cleaner to keep things running smoothly.

As for BGT stuff, its easy enough to create exceptions with windows defender, and unlike some antiviruses,Windows defender actually respects exceptions once you've made them, really I don't exactly get why people are having so much trouble with this.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-23 14:49:31

windows defender works pretty well for me

thanks and regards.
Krantikari
visit my Youtube channel for technical related stuff

2019-06-24 00:18:58

So the general consensus is win defender plus malware bytes, or just in defender?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-06-24 02:51:39

Win Defender is good enough. Malwarebyte is optional if you want it.

2019-06-24 12:27:08

Windows defender will protect against most major viruses etc, Malware bites is useful for trackers and random addware and generally smaller scale stuff, not things that are likely to close down your hole system, but stuff which will probably make everything run more slowly.

I started with Malware bites back when I was still on Xp using AVG, and got a really annoying popup at startup which AVG wouldn't touch, but Malware bites quite successfully munched, just remember if your using the free version of Malware bites to run it occasionally.

I also use C cleaner, which will fix registry problems etc, and these days will also deal with tracking cookies and the like.
Above all though, the best antidoate to security is simply being careful. If something looks dodgy it probably is, and you can actually save yourself a lot of hassle by simply not opening any emails that look suspect, or closing your browser if you wind up on a page full of adds and craziness.

In general, as I said in a previous topic, computer viruses are like house fires.

Some people go ballistic, ripping up all their carpets, never using a microwave and having fire  extinguishers bolted to every wall (you should've seen the lobby at my old flat). 
But as long as your sensible, and don't go plugging 16 plugs into one socket or sticking tin foil in the toaster or whatever, you'll be okay %99 of the time, and while its helpful to have working fire alarms for that one percent of the time, you don't have to go overboard.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-25 02:16:17

I definitely wouldn't store my SSN in a password manager, not even a local one like KeePass, which, incidentally, is what I use. I'm confused as to why you'd need to store your SSN anyway, I've had mine memorized since I was about 12 or 13. Same with credit card info and the like, although to be fair, I can see how if you have multiple cards, that might not be feasible. For someone like me who has just one debit card, though, it's simple to memorize the number, especially since the only thing that changes when they expire is the expiration date and security code, and it's pretty easy to adjust to those minor changes.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-25 02:51:46

I recommend using pc matic. I think its 20 dollars, but you can use it to a great extent and it barely marks bgt things as threats.

-
"There is beauty in simplicity."

2019-06-25 08:04:32 (edited by defender 2019-06-25 08:05:02)

Yeah I have a hard time remembering strings of numbers, I can remember parts but not enough.
But no I don't believe Lastpass will never ever be breeched or anything, I just have moderate confidence in the long password, that protects the main account, as it's personal to me but uses no dates, rare ish, and purposefully spelled oddly which I've heard is a good technique if you need to use words.  And I don't see a major, security oriented company storing passwords in plaintext if nothing else.
Maybe your write though, maybe I should write down my SSN at least in braille, the cards can be canceled.  Then again, nice to have it in the cloud encase of fire or flood or just plain losing the note...

2019-06-25 16:58:08

If SSN is social security number, we don't have those in the Uk, so no problems.
I have my credit card and bank info memorised, however I also have some penfriend stickers stuck on my desk which are only accessible with the penfriend that hold the information just in case.

for passwords there are a few general ones I use for trying out new web games or the like, but then there are some specific high security ones I use for things like Amazon, paypal, Ios, and indeed this website which are longer and more complex with different characters and numbers and so on, but still possible for me to remember, oh, and none are obvious things like my wife's name or the like big_smile.

I don't think I'd personally bother with a password manager, since generally speaking if the password is such that I cannot personally remember it then its gone beyond security and into inconvenience.