2019-06-15 00:03:48

hi. This game is quite nice. But i wuold really like it if you could kind of script own missions with own people that fight against the heroes. That would be awesome.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-06-15 01:39:43

I wound up being too busy to do much, but I did just upload an adjusted version with a few changes.

The daze, pinning, and net effects don't last as long.

Instead of pressing V to hear about enemies on a tile, if you use M it does include any fighting bonuses the mob receives from allies.  It turns out I had already coded M at night when I was tired, forgot about it, and the next day coded V.  So yeah, eventually I'll trim that back down to 1 command.

I made the first test mission a little harder, but it's still incredibly easy.

The second test mission was made harder with the addition of a few enemies who show up during the fight.

I'm interested to see how these changes affect gameplay, especially the changes to how long enemies are dazed.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2019-06-15 01:42:47

a ok cool.

Lamas with hats, but with sponge bob as carl Stay tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAUQt … subscriber

2019-06-15 22:26:32

Hi,
nice game. It'd be nice if allies could also loot corpses or take guns after one disarms a thug. Also please make  guns deal more damage, that way I won't let Batman heal himself while standing in a bullet path smile  Also I think I found a bug, once in mission 2 a guy through batman north and they both ended up at  B 0. I could navigate there using arrows, but I couldn't tell Ironman to follow them there. Also for some weird reason, I can still cycle in character menus when I'm at viewing mode and I try to go over the map edges.

2019-06-16 13:29:19

Mission 2 is more challenging now, I managed to win it but batman keeps dying relatively early. He does not do well with combat, but he's useful in stunning several enemies with the hook thing. Then I use iron man to grapple an enemy to pull it away from batman, but he still ends up dying in fights with people. Once I did a combo attack on someone which resulted in batman losing 20 health and dying

2019-06-16 15:03:54

It would be cool to have sounds in this game

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-06-17 15:23:20

Well, this is deffinetly a cool game.
This thing needs to be continuede.
Adding a storyline will be cool to.

2019-06-17 17:15:52

I've had trouble finding time to work more on this lately, but I do plan to make some additions and post for more feedback.  Real life needs to give me time to code... who do I put in a request to?  The universe?

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2019-06-19 17:08:29

ya, this is amazing, hope you finish and take all the time you need to do so, also, one thing, with target, i didn't know what that meant, maybe you should change it to attack or something because for ages i thought it was ust follow and didn't use it.
thanks again, take all the time you need.

2019-06-20 10:15:09

nice game! again hoping to be able to script or just make missions, like  create a couple heroes, place enemies, furniture, boom.

2019-06-20 13:08:11

Hi.

wow, interesting concept I have to agree, this one basically screams for customized missions, characters, abilitys and the like.

Putting in some sounds and music this thing could be darn great. I played through both missions multiple times now and I love it.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-06-20 16:50:50

i also have some story ideas going off what you already have in the demo.
if you already know where your going to go, then disreguard this, but you could have your own hero that you make in the firs t mission and do your first small fight, and swop between that hero and a team of popular irl heros, then have them all meet up in to one super team to fight the big bos wich they have been investigating seperately.

2019-06-21 04:45:00 (edited by Aprone 2019-06-21 04:47:22)

I've uploaded another test version of the game.

The menus are more stable and you can now use the "New game" to progress through 3 missions.  I'm currently thinking I'll have the game take you through a story line of missions, letting you add a 2nd and 3rd vigilante as you progress.  Between missions you'll be able to spend upgrade points on your people.  As long as 1 of your people survives a mission, they all do.

I'm also on the fence about making this a "rogue-like" game, where you have no saves and the game ends if you fail a mission.  This was my original plan when I started on this, but now I'm sort of going back and forth trying to decide if this is the right move.  In my experience, there aren't many people in the audio game community who share my style of playing games.  To me, knowing 1 failed mission means I lose all of my progress, just makes it more exciting.  Others would probably hate this popular mechanic (which is present in games considered rogue-like games).  I'm open to people's thoughts on this.

Added:
Shane, I'm going to have to avoid including any copyrighted characters in this game.  I used the names Batman and Ironman jokingly just for the testing mission.  When I get this into more of a working game stage, I'll remove those names.  With that being said, I do plan to let the player control a small team of vigilantes.  I hadn't considered giving them a larger team to pull from (like you pick the 3 you want to take on a given mission, leaving the rest behind)... but I'll give that some thought.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2019-06-21 05:20:50

Oo I love roguelikes! Perhaps make that a hard mode or unlockable campaign so people who don't like that style wont be put off.

2019-06-21 10:20:58

Maybe you could give players a single, non stackable undo per mission?
Or maybe a 3 strikes your out system.
Either way, you could create a mode where you get nothing, more replayability that way anyway.

2019-06-21 10:24:04

Hi.

Aprone, why don't you make this changeable in a settings menu? That way people easily could decide on how hard their game should be, you could reach both groups of players that way.

Also, next to some fixed missions, some sort of scripting or an object builder would be fantastic, players could create really awesome things with that.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-06-21 10:26:07

Hmm, those are good suggestions.
I suppose another option is to let players save and load, but only between missions.

It's been tricky making missions for this game.  Depending on how a player builds their vigilantes, a set of enemies could be impossible to beat for one person, or super simple for another.  It's not an easy game to balance.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2019-06-21 15:40:11

Something like this really makes me think of turn based strategy games like final fantasy tactics or fire emblem. In the latter games, if a character dies, they stay dead.

Some of the most accessible games I played that were mainstream have been of this style, so I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen audiogames like this that go beyond chess and checkers till now.

Now if we had gear and loot, moves to learn and level, and units had a rock paper cizzars type weaknesses, that would be awesome. Probably these things are way beyond the scope of this project, and apologies if they are, but I thought it worth mentioning.

2019-06-21 16:33:39

Found a bug. Don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but I recruited my second vigilante, then tried to upgrade my first one which had 18 points. But when I tried going into the menu it showed me the menu for the second one, where I couldn't do anything because there were no points to spend there, and trying to go into the upgrade menu of the second one just told me I can't because there are no points to spend.

2019-06-21 19:01:47

Good catch Zakc93, I've uploaded again with that bug fixed.

Kenshira, I wasn't aware that this style is rare around here.  I too would have expected this to be a common style of audio game because it is pretty easy to present using just menus and text.  Sounds and music would make it better, of course, but anytime you can do a whole game without worrying about sounds I'd say that's an easier task for the developer.

I agree that this current game probably won't have fancier things like rock-paper-scissors weaknesses or a bunch of loot types to find.  It would be a bit too far off from what got this game going.  I was watching Batman kick the snot out of some bad guys, thought about the scene from the Mummy when Oconnel hurled a chair at a guy's legs who was trying to run away, and thought it might be neat to have a super hero fighting game where you could throw stuff at people.  I may have shattered the illusion that I climb high into the mountains, meditate with the monks, and intricately plan out game mechanics as I consult with the universe.  Dude throws a chair and I'm all like, Yup, that could be a game.  big_smile

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2019-06-22 06:58:06 (edited by defender 2019-06-22 23:55:56)

The game has so many obvious bugs right now that I don't see the point in reporting most of them, as a couple playthroughs will let you see the majority.

But I will mention that your characters can be thrown into the 0 coordinate, as it seems kinda rare.
Oh and, gun wielding characters who shoot someone on their same square get hit as well.
Also, stunned opponents can still do damage to you when brawling.
At times you can also lose health when doing a combo attack for what ever reason, but this may be on purpose?
Pin enemy says it should work for a few turns but only ever seems to work for one.
Tables should probably degrade over time after too many bullets, and their should be a chance that bullets will hit in a smoke square, possibly the higher the amount of people there the more likely to get one of them.

2019-06-22 09:21:38

I've jotted those down, thanks Defender.

The combo attack can still lead to taking damage, but I'm fairly certain there is still a but with how it's calculating things.  I had it spit out some odd results a few times (out of many correct ones), so there's likely some rounding issue I haven't noticed when things line up just right.
Combo doubles your current fighting level, and performs a normal fight/brawl calculation.  If you have a fighting level of 2, and use combo on a guy with a level of 6, you'll still be on the losing end of the fight.  I have a note somewhere in my notes, where I considered removing combo from the list of available options if your fighting skill is too low to be effective when using it.

Pin was affected when I lowered the stun/holding durations in the game.  It was suggested that the stuns were lasting too long and making the game easier than it should be, so I reduced everything by 1 turn.

I'll keep the tables thing in mind.  They do lose health when thrown, and will break apart after it's been done a few times, but I don't have code damaging them from bullet impacts.  I'll also give the smoke screen thing some thought.

- Aprone
Aprone's software

2019-06-22 22:11:40

Bugs fownd,
one, if being defeated in mission 2, will progress to mission 3 and get a new vigilanti. If defeated in mission 3 progress to mission four. etc. Bugfownder also believes that if you are defeated in mission 1 you will go to mission 2, though I am not sure.
I don't know about any other bugs. Will post if find

see ya later. Hope you don't fall off a roof.