2019-06-19 07:26:10

Ok guys, so you probably figured out I'm a game show nut. I want to know some of your favorite game shows from the kids department. Mine are Where in the World is Carmen San Diego and legends of the hidden temple, in that order. Also feel free to share links to clips and episodes if you want to. I'm not asking about adult game shows because most of them aren't all that fun anymore.

Add me on Skype, search for The Evil Chocolate Cookie

2019-06-19 14:55:22 (edited by Dark 2019-06-19 14:57:07)

Got to be Knightmare
See the official site here
Yee god it was amazing.

To briefly explain to all none brits out there, Knightmare (and that is knightmare with a k), was a kids game show from the late eighties and early nineties themed around a D&D type dungeon, with a dungeon master called Tregard.

The dungeon was computer generated onto blue screens, so the dungeoneer, (the one in the dungeon), couldn't actually see it. The dungeoneer, him or herself however wore what was called the helmet of justice which made  almost blind, unable to see the objects below them, or the blue screens the dungeon was generated on.

So, if the dungeoneer couldn't see how did they get around the dungeon? Easy, they had a team of advisers, who could see where they were through a magic mirror, and could see the dungeon around them. It was the job of the advisers to describe the room, any hazards like monsters or traps, and guide the dungeoneer through it, picking up clues along the way and dealing with evil wizards, goblins and other nasties.

Here is a full episode

Talk to anyone who grew up in the eighties/nineties in Britain with an interest in that sort of thing, and they'll tell you just how bloody scary and down right awesome Knightmare was, especially with how they intigrated the technology at the time, indeed its interesting that even though these days cg technology has massively improved, nobody has done anything quite like it.

The acting, the atmosphere, the tech, it all came together, especially in season 3 when they got Lord fear, the most fantastically evil and sarcastic villain ever!

Actually, I've always thought that Knightmare would make a pretty amazing audio game in the vane of pappasanga, what with you having to hear and avoid hazards and the like, though nobody's ever done that yet sadly.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-19 17:36:23

Has to be Legends of the Hidden Temple

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2019-06-20 06:03:56

We need a Carmen San Diego themed audio game. There are plenty of regular ones out there, and Amazon wants $60 for the board game. Thanks, but no thanks.

2019-06-21 19:15:51 (edited by Jeffb 2019-06-22 09:51:56)

I liked all the Nick ones What Would You Do, Wild and Crazy Kids, Guts, Nick Arcade, Double Dare, Finders Keepers, Ledgends of the Hidden Temple, Figure it Out, and so on! I don't think the new Double Dare is as good and I couldn't bring myself to watch The Ledgends of the Hidden Temple movie but I'm glad they are at least trying to bring back some of the good stuff.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-06-22 03:25:01

I never saw the original double-dare. I remember watching legends of the hidden temple a lot before school when I was little. Carmen San Diego just came under my radar about a week ago, and this is one time she isn't getting away. There are so many pc and board games, but we couldn't play any of them. I wish we could get permission to make some audio adaptations, but that company is out of business. Kind of sucks if you ask me. Btw, have you guys checked out the Netflix series?

2019-06-22 04:37:12

I also love Carmen Sandiego (both the gameshow and the cartoon), and yes Nick gameshows are bloody amazing. They need to bring back Nick Arcade or Legends; they already brought back Figure It Out (which is canceled now methinks) and Double Dare, come on show the others some love.

#FreeTheCheese
"The most deadly poison of our times is indifference. And this happens, although the praise of God should know no limits. Let us strive, therefore, to praise Him to the greatest extent of our powers." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

2019-06-22 05:33:47

I actually had an idea if we could find a way to get permission to build the game. Instead of chasing carmen, why couldn't you play as carmen and try to get away. That would be harder