2019-06-21 16:40:30

Hi all, I'm a sound design student and currently creating an audio game for my final major project which I'm intending to be fully accessible for visually impaired players. Its an audio-only, choice-based experience, in which the player and their less than willing assistant must traverse multiple locations, interacting with various people and places whilst trying to get home. I'm not a programmer so progress has been slow but I'm getting there and learning lots.
I was wondering if my current keyboard mappings sound ideal.

W is walk
A is rotate player left
D is rotate player right
E is item interaction
Shift is sprint
Space is jump
1 to 9 keys are inventory slots

The game narrative develops through Yes/No choices. I was thinking the F key to highlight the Yes choice and lock it in with Enter. Then for No, highlight with the J key and lock in with Enter.
I have also put in a navigation system that will lock on to the nearest collectible item and lead the player there when activated. I was thinking to activate this with the S key and lock on with Enter and deactivate again with S.

Does this sound ideal? If there was the option to use a game controller would you prefer this?
I am also hoping to share a demo of the first chapter for people to play and give feedback within the next month, so keep a look out for a post about that if its something you would be interested in.

Thanks all

2019-06-21 17:12:33

I would say don’t worry about the ideal controls. Whatever works for you will probably work for us as well. I am pretty sure that I speak for everyone here, we are pretty adaptable when it comes to weird key mapping.

2019-06-23 00:03:41

I would wap J with R, as it seems more logic, don't know, sounds good.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-06-23 08:34:45 (edited by defender 2019-06-23 08:37:53)

Almost everything you've mentioned has been used before quite often so we're used to it.

I would suggest y or n for yes or no, though, as it's what we've been using for a very long time and it's easy to remember.
S for the navigational aid?  I mean, you can't walk backwards in this game, so I think people might end up forgetting that allot and hitting the item nav aid by accident.  They'd get used to it pretty quick, but you could use "I", Tab, or Graav for that instead as that's more common.
We usually use enter for item interaction, as a replacement for a mouse click, and as we also use it in menus and with your yes no prompt, it makes sense.  But "E" wouldn't be a big leap either.

I'm excited to try your game and fill out any survey you might have for it, it sounds cool!

2019-06-23 22:34:17

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses.
I'll explore these suggestions this week and hope to share the demo within a month

2019-06-24 04:26:59

Hello and welcome to the forums. The keyboard layout is fine for me. As the others said, we can get used to almost anything you come up with.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.