2019-06-19 14:56:54

Hi to all!
I was just wondering about two specific types of games which we dont have here.
First one:
I would like to see an RPG with the fighting mechanisms of baldurs gate or dungeon siege where the fighting is happening mostly automaticly but you can press pause to set up fighting behaviours, changing weapons or spells, quaff potions or choose which enemy to attack first.
I never had permanent fun with all this turnbased combat. Maybe its cause of the atmosphere. The feeling is totaly different.

The second one i am realy bewildered!
We got a lot of sidescrolling or jump and run stuff.
But do we allready have some sort of metroidvania?
I mean, special items which you need to get to other places, special items to defeat special enemys or something like that.
Yeah, i know, we have this japanic trilogie. But i am realy more thinking of stuff like metroid or the modern castlevania.

So, what are you thinking about this?

2019-06-19 15:10:58

I've never been a fan of auto combat myself. Either give me a real time situation to react to, or give me a chance to give instructions between times, but just having it happen with only pause and input from  me just makes me feel divorced from the action. Indeed whilst I don't think we have any audiogames like this, there are plenty of muds with fire and forget combat, not to mention browser games where you just set your equipment, hit "fight" and everything just happens, and I'm not personally a fan of either.

on the other hand wow! would I love a netroidvania game. The netroid series are some of my absolute favourites, since its possible to play them without need for reading and with my level of sight, at least as far as super metroid and zero mission. Fusion was more difficult but I managed with some anotated faqs.
Castlevania is less possible because it requires far more stat crunch and menus, something I was sad to miss out on.

so yes, I'd absolutely love! a metroidvania style game, indeed I've sort of wanted one in audio now for a good 15 years, and with Bk3 and tomb hunter already having some of those elements I don't think the  is too far outside of what is currently possible, although of course giant bosses might be difficult.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-19 15:22:44

Sure thats an absolutely individual thing. I feel absolutely bored by turnbased combat. It more feels like a tell-me-what-you-want-to-do-thing and not like a real combatsituation. And most of the time consists of waiting for all this animationstuff which is in most cases only audio time stretching.
He is doing this, she is doing that, after and after and after.
But yes, there are exceptions. I liked entombed very much maybe cause of the fact you were able to aim bodyparts. But I really can not say it exactly.

2019-06-19 16:19:57

Gauntlet

2019-06-20 11:33:40

Gauntlet would be cool, though considering we don't  any top down closed arena shooters in audio yet (though why goodness knows), Gauntlet is probably a bit more outside our experience, unless we turned it into a full on fps rpg.

@firefly, I'll certainly agree that turn based combat can either be well or badly done, and the sort where you have barely any choices and are just hitting attack over and over again and watching the random numbers aren't that interesting. However, for me, the more your involved in a combat system and the more factors you have to play  with during the battle, the more interesting it is. Entomb's aiming system and character based initiative is a good example.
I also really like the active time battles in Breed memorial as well since you have time and cool down etc to deal with as well as just choosing your attacks.

Still its an individual thing as you've said, I'm afraid I've always felt if all your  essentially doing is choosing equipment and letting your characters have at it automatically, what exactly is the point you being there and witnessing the battle at all?

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-20 14:49:58

Hello folks! Firefly, I agree. There are a few 90's classics we can't access yet. And I would love to see some Metroidvanias.
Best regards, Haramir.

The true blind is the one who refuses to see.

2019-06-20 15:51:04

@Dark: Oh, you have to do a lot more than simply check your equipped items. You have to consider the terrain, you have to check if the choosen weapon is doing enough damage, you have to check different health-statuses or weaknesses. And you still have to decide which enemy you want to attack first. Point is, you still are in control of your character by giving him her or them orders how to behave in combat. Maybe someone here can explain the fightingmechanisms of baldurs gate or neverwinter nights better than I can.

In case of bred you are absolutely right. I like the combat a lot too.
It would be realy interesting if some of our developers would come up with some idea of different combatsystems.

2019-06-20 17:52:27

I would like to see final fight or streets of rage since those games are just beat em ups.

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2019-06-20 20:29:43

I wanna play civilization gayayayayayayayayayayames!

I used to be a knee like you, then I took an adventurer in the arrow.

2019-06-20 21:54:21

@Haramir, As I said, Metroid is a favourite game series of mine and I'd love! to see that done in audio, especially since we can now have complex side scrolling layouts and enemies with different movement patterns etc. The only thing that would complicate matters would be the huge bosses where you have more boss than can fill an adequate space and need to aim for week spots, though they might be possible if the player had enough explanation, EG in Super metroid and zero mission, when you fought crade he was a huge plant/lizard creature that took up three times the playng space, so you had to jump up the ledges jumping or blasting away the spines he fired at you, then when you got up top, wait for him to open his mouth and roar before switching to your own missile weapon and jamming one down his throat.
Zero mission made this even harder, since you had no ledges to jump up but had to wait for him to fire three huge thorns which stuck in the wall, which you then had to jump up in order to reach his head level.

@Conner, yeah, civilization would be awesome!

@Firefly, I don't know, never having played baldur's gate, but even counting terrain and other factors, I always prefer myself combat systems where you actually have to be continuously involved in the combat, rather than where you just set things going and wait to see what happens, but this is probably an individual thing as you said.

With the breed memorial system though, I do wonder what an active time battle like that in the grandia games would be  for an audio rpg.

2019-06-21 11:58:22

I would like to see game like forager. You have some lands, mine resources, build facilities for crafting things, buy new lands with new resources, quests and enemies, leveling up and raise your skills, trading, upgrading your weapons and much more.