2019-06-21 01:11:00 (edited by dardar 2019-06-21 01:15:26)

Hello,
Yes, it is true.
the long awaited and hopefully long anticipated Luna RSS version 2 is finally here.
It took us just over 6 weeks to make the jump from version 1 to version 2, due to code security concerns. Rest assured, the security has been improved, and the change log is big.
I could explain all of the features, but I really think the changelog explains it all.
For those unaware, Luna RSS is a free, combination RSS feed reader, podcast feed subscriber, feed builder and all around useful program as it attains to RSS feeds.
So what's new.
Here's the changelog:
Changelog:
2.0:
bug fix: alt f4 now saves your stuff
Bug Fix: Improved how the program handles broken feeds
Bug fix: Improved how the program handles a full hard drive
Bug Fix: changed how the program stores feeds internally to make it less messy and more interlinked.
Bug Fix: Removed some code that checked for errors in a feed and tried to redownload, as it was actually causing more problems than it was fixing.
Bug Fix: Rewrote a lot of the code to make it less messy.
Bug fix: added compatibility with a code protection technique.
compilation: Compiled the program so that sounds do not clutter up the program's folder as much.
compilation: Used a new compilation technique that has sped up the program.
Documentation: Sorted the changelog alphabetically.
Documentation: Updated the licence to version 2.
Documentation: updated the readme.
Feature addition: Changed the order of the action menu
Feature addition: You can now choose to copy a media URL to your clipboard
Feature addition: You can now open links in your browser
Feature addition: you can now copy media links to the clipboard
Feature addition: You can now change the location of the rss data folder.
Feature addition: The program now has extra facilities for detecting and fixing broken feeds.
Feature addition: You can now import feeds from an OPML file
Feature addition: Many keystrokes added, see the keystrokes section of the readme for more info.
Feature Addition: You can now press delete on the feed name to jump directly to the confirmation of delete screen.
Feature addition: In several key places, the applications key can now be used in place of the enter key.
Feature Addition: Instead of copying text items to your clipboard, the program now opens them in  a read only box, and it has a copy button.
Feature addition: the program now supports m4a and m4p file types.
Feature addition: the program now shows what type of feed you have, RSS or podcast, and sorts it accordingly.
Feature addition: You can now favorite feeds.
Feature addition: You can now share episodes, feeds, and certain events, using twitter.
Feature addition: Added some sounds to key places in the program.

And here's the download link: https://nathantech.net/nathantechsoftware.php

Feedback as always, is eagerly anticipated!
Edit:
I've just noticed, reading over the changelog, it is missing one or two feature additions.
Feature addition: You can now view feed descriptions.
Feature addition: you can now download the entire archive of a podcast.

HTH

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-06-21 03:25:22 (edited by AlexN94 2019-06-21 03:36:48)

I'm getting this error when trying to open it. The window title is "Fatal Error Detected":

Failed to execute script rss
OK

Running Windows 7, 32 bit.

EDIT:

Tried reinstalling, now getting this error:

Unable to execute file:C:\Program Files\nathan tech\Luna RSS\program.exe
CreateProcess failed; code 5. Access denied.
OK

END EDIT

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2019-06-21 04:30:50

I'm also getting the "Failed to execute script rss" error on Windows 10 64 bit. Running with elevated privileges doesn't make a difference.

2019-06-21 10:16:16

faital error detected failed to execute script rss

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-06-21 11:25:57

Hi there
You would think that sort of error would’ve popped up in testing LOL
In the meantime perhaps try the portable version, and I will look into this and get it resolved as soon as possible
Thank you very Much

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-06-21 13:27:01

i'm afraid, the portable version does the same. faitle error detected failed to execute script rss

best regards
never give up on what ever you are doing.

2019-06-21 19:01:42

I was literally just thinking about this yesterday and wondering how the update was coming along. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error as others have described under Windows 10 64 bit.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-21 19:25:50

I'm getting this error on Windows 7 64-bit as well. Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit application? I doubt that matters, but I'm curious.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-06-21 22:47:14

I've tried both the installation and the portal one, both gave me errors.

2019-06-21 23:30:51 (edited by dardar 2019-06-22 00:49:29)

Hello,
I am looking into this right now. I have been traveling today, which is why this was not an immediate respnse. My sincerest apologies.
Edit:
the problem has been found, and will be fixed within the next half an hour.

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-06-22 01:27:03

Hello!
It's me, mister doublepost.
The program should be fixed now, and can be downloaded at the same place.
Apologies for any inconvenience, rest assured I am thoroughly embarrassed.

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-06-22 01:36:11

No worries, man! We all make mistakes sometimes! By the way, this program is really awesome. Have been looking for a replacement for QCast as it no longer seems to be updated and it's in-built search facility has just died. Thank you!

If you like what I post, please thumbs it up!

2019-06-22 01:58:44

Fatal error detected  dialog  Failed to execute script program

The Beast continued its studies with renewed Focus, building great Reference works and contemplating new Realities. The Beast brought forth its followers and acolytes to create a renewed smaller form of itself and, through Mischievous means, sent it out across the world.
from The Book of Mozilla, 6:27

2019-06-22 03:13:55

The program is working now. As for the error, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stuff like that happens to all of us.

2019-06-22 06:12:48

Opening the program works now, though importaning feeds from a file doesn't make them appear in the feed list, and deleting a feed still has it show up afterwards.

2019-06-22 08:00:03

That's an awesome changelog man, even despite these setbacks (which you've already started fixing) this is a grade upgrade.
It seems like you really took the feedback to heart and buckled down to provide a fully featured product.  When these bugs are worked out, I'll be happy to suggest this to my friends.
I fully expect your program to show up on sites like Blind Bargains, IATech, and accessworld soon enough, as this space has a dearth of quality applications as you know.

2019-06-22 08:27:04

Hi there,
Thank you for your feedback
If there are any files that the program seems not to be working with I would appreciated if you could attach them in an email to me
That way I can modify the code to be more flexible in that regard, as I only had about 3 to work with and they were all formatted differently!
Try importing the feed exiting the program and then re-opening it the delete function should work then, it may be simply that it needs to save them first

Nathan Smith
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-06-22 15:48:48

Hi.

It still doesn't work for me. Here's the message that pops up:
Fatal error detected
Failed to execute script program

So, what is happening? I really like this software, and want to try out version 2. Could you provide me with a link of the working version?

2019-06-22 16:15:30 (edited by Chris 2019-06-22 18:11:32)

The program gives me the unable to execute script program error when I install it on Windows 10 1903 64-bit. However, it's working fine on Windows 7 64-bit. Any ideas?

This program is awesome! Absolutely awesome! I have one simple suggestion. Is it possible to add a keyboard shortcut that opens an RSS feed URL in a web browser? Currently I have to go to the feed, find the link in the information list, and then select open in browser.

It would also be useful if the download window had more information. I'm downloading all episodes of a podcast and the only thing I get is a window with two progress bars and an abort button. It would be nice if this provided a little more information such as the file name currently downloading.

How do I find the downloaded podcast  files? I have a folder in Documents called rss data, but there's only a media.mp3 file in the downloads folder under my podcast name folder. When I go into thep rogram, I am able to play the files just fine. WHere are they stored in the file system?

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-06-23 01:30:28

i'm still getting the
Fatal error detected
windows10 64

follow me on
twitter
now go away, don't talk to me

2019-06-23 04:53:34

@Dardar: My OPML file is exported from QCast, I'll paste an example of the code below, far too many feeds in it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<opml version="1.0">
  <head>
    <title>QCast podcasts</title>
  </head>
  <body>

<outline
        text="We&#39;re Alive - A &#34;Zombie&#34; Story of Survival"
        title="We&#39;re Alive - A &#34;Zombie&#34; Story of Survival"
        type="rss"
        xmlUrl="http://werealive.libsyn.com/rss"
        htmlUrl="https://www.podcastone.com/were-alive-a-zombie-story-of-survival"
      />

<outline
        text="TANIS"
        title="TANIS"
        type="rss"
        xmlUrl="http://tanis.libsyn.com/rss"
        htmlUrl="http://tanispodcast.com"
      />

<outline
        text="LifeAfter/The Message"
        title="LifeAfter/The Message"
        type="rss"
        xmlUrl="http://feeds.feedburner.com/themessagepodcast"
        htmlUrl="http://lif-e.af/ter"
      />

</body>
</opml>

2019-06-23 16:51:18

@dardar

This program still doesn't work for me. I'm using Windows 10, 1903, 64-bit. Version 1 worked for me.

2019-06-23 19:59:43

dongargon wrote:

@dardar

This program still doesn't work for me. I'm using Windows 10, 1903, 64-bit. Version 1 worked for me.

Don't worry, I have same problem.

Ja volim samo kafu sa Rakijom.

2019-06-23 20:31:36

Wow this program sounds really cool. It can download and play?

Re: embarrassed, I wouldn't be if I were you. Happens to all of us--even in commercial releases or professional settings. I can't count how many times I left a file or two out of production builds of TDV. And professionally--especially if you're working for a startup with no well-established QA procedure yet--you're bound to miss things. It's a part of software development.

Just be glad your thing isn't commercial big_smile

2019-06-25 21:22:31

Hey there,
At first great work done here, thanks for this program. But I wanted to import a opml file and when I'm importing it, it says all feeds have been updated. BUt when I close and open it up again there is only one feed, but the file has more than 60 feeds in it. That is a bit curious. Maybe you can fix that in the future.

- Eagle Ear Entertainment
YouTube
Twitch
Mastodon