2019-06-17 23:17:43

So with my hype for Samurai Shodown, I thought I would let it all out of my system at once with a stream as soon as I can get something set up and the game comes out. I would prefer a higher end laptop or gaming computer, but right now my current once which is still decent ll have to do. I'm hoping to stream from the ps4 through my pc to either youtube or twitch, most likely youtube since I already have a channel. From the people who already stream, what is a good setup one would recommend for someone just getting started? Mics for commentary are not a problem, but I do need a decent video capture card, I asume. OBS works? Any tips people can give would be appreciated, the more detailed the better. I'm assuming I just have to set video and audio sources both to the external card if everything is running through it, but would still like any advice that could be given. Thanks!

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-06-18 18:08:12

Nobody? lol

2019-06-18 20:07:49

@1/2
Have you done any research into what capture cards exist/what you want to get in terms of video quality?  That's an important place to start as you can look through what different options exist in your budget, for example.

I haven't streamed to YouTube myself but have heard that Twitch is quite strict on certain requirements, there are a tonne of guides for optimising OBS to work with that service though, once you have your capture card up and running of course.

I'd suggest OBS Studio (latest version) over OBS Classic (a now deprecated
piece of software).  Studio does have a few accessibility holes, but the fast majority of elements can be accessed to do what you want to do.

As for adding sources, that should be fairly straightforward and your card should just run the audio by default without any extra tweaking.  Your mic just runs through as an audio device that you enable in settings (under mic/aux) in the audio section).  Keep in mind with USB cards that you'll have to possibly contend with delay, depending on connection types (2.0 VS 3.0) it'll vary as well.  I say this as you'll have to offset your mic possibly to account for said delay, but a simple sync test and adjusting a value (which you might want sighted assistance for until you're used to the interface of the advanced audio properties of your audio device in OBS).

Also, for reference and if you don't mind, what are your computer's specs?  You might want to look at that before trying to stream as older components can cause issues with keeping constant streams etc.  Don't forget, you're outputting a video signal as well as audio.
Finally, you could always stream to YT using the PS4 itself with a mic for commentary, though I have absolutely no experience with this myself.

Hope that information can get you started.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.
***If you wish to refer to me in @replies, use Sightless***

2019-06-18 20:46:00

Thanks. That does help somewhat, though I was hoping for actual suggestions on what people are using before I decide my own budget. I'm probably not going to go to 4k streaming straight for my first one, but at least 1080P if the first couple work out and I want to keepgoing. OBS studio was what I was planning on using already, it was simply a desire to get some quick tips to get started on using the actual software and streaming to youtube or twitch, though I'm guessing youtube might be an easier place to start? And I am running an Asus laptop with 8 GB ram, 1 TB hdd and a 2 core intel i7 at 2.8 ghz. May cause some slow down but shouldn't tax the system too much... those were some great thoughts to consider. Please keep them coming as I'd love to actually be able to do this next week!

2019-06-19 03:59:38

el gato camlink?

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-19 08:18:46

@ironcross, you're going to have to elaborate a bit more. And in case this doesn't work, if someone regularly streams directly from the ps4, I'd be curious to know how that works as well...

2019-06-19 10:58:57

@4
The only reason I gave you the information I did is because, usually, it's easy enough to look at what capture cards are recommended/exist and start from there.

Does your laptop have an actual dedicated GPU (Mine, for instance, has a GTX 1650 in it)?  If so, that'll majorly help with processing/encoding, especially with the majority of USB capture devices that don't have onboard encoders, meaning your computer would have to process the load itself.

However, as far as resolutions go, I'd suggest streaming in 720 60 to allow more viewers to watch your streams.  As for 1080 60 though, (given you're set on going with USB I can't provide as much assistance unfortunately), there's only a small handful of options I know, most limited to Elgato in the form of the HD60 and HD60S.  I'd suggest starting to look there and work outwards.

I'd have recommended the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable, but having never used the 2+ variant of the card and the original seemingly only being capable of 1080 30 instead of 60, I'm not sure if I can recommend it if that's what you're looking for.

Though these aren't the most accessible instructions, this guide might get you started

As for streaming to YT, though it's not the most helpful guide, this might start you off.

Hope that information is of use.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-06-19 16:07:38

Will keep looking, but I recognize I'm not working with the most ideal set of specs here. My computer doesn't have a dedicated GPU, so that may be a problem. The whole process simply seems a little daunting, and other than USB I'm not even sure what other options there are for a quick rig. USB just seemed like the easiest to get set up.

2019-06-19 16:08:37

Here's a capture card. Hopefully your laptop has a USB C port though.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-19 18:27:03 (edited by assault_freak 2019-06-19 18:28:27)

If someone could confirm that I have this in my head right, I'd appreciate it... sounds like once I get a capture card and link OBS to my youtube channel, I should add the capture card and my mic for commentary as sources? My only question is that given game footage and audio are both coming from the card, do I have to choose it as both a video and audio source in OBS?

Also, regarding a USB C port, the specs fr the asus x555LA which is my laptop say that it does, but typical USB C cables don't seem to fit in it... are there just multiple types of USB C ports I don't know about? I thought it was univiersal...

And thanks for the ps4 streaming instructions sightless. Though, of course, the limitted TTS functions mean that that particular section of the ps4 definitely won't cooperate with me. Maybe time to look into getting an xbox1 especially if I am serious about streaming... no reason I can't have both consoles, or just wait for project scarlet.

2019-06-19 20:13:40

The Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus looks like a decent card, and it does stream in higher quality. I'm curious about its ease of use, though. It's also cool that I can record without the PC as well. Risk and reward, I suppose.

2019-06-19 23:22:01

@10/11You could probably get an Xbox One S pretty cheap now if you're not interested in the higher priced (but still worth while) Xbox One X, if you don't want to wait until next year for Scarlet.

As for sources, you just add the capture card and, if it works like every other one of the 3 I've used, the audio will just work without needing additional adding of sources.  Then you just add your mic, not as a source, but as an input in the audio settings (instead of saying "disabled", one of the mic/aux inputs will read as your mic instead).

There are also PCIE capture cards, of which the HD60 Pro I've recently started using is one, but though you could use a USB to PCIE adaptor, I've never done that myself.
Getting an Xbox would be a good idea, but in terms of streaming from it, you're limited in terms of mics as, unlike the PS4, the Xbox One supports a limited amount of devices (namely ones that don't have drivers, if I remember rightly).  The process of actually streaming gameplay from it though is really straightforward once you set your account up via the website, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Never used the LGP2+, I looked into it for a while but didn't end up going for it.  If you could get one of Amazon you could theoretically try it and return if it's not what you wanted.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-06-20 01:15:53 (edited by assault_freak 2019-06-20 01:21:28)

So far, the lgp 2 plus is what I'm going to look at. I like the ability to record directly to the device as well as stream it. And the xbox1s, if I do decide to get it, is going to be a while off since most of my games are on the ps4 anyway. Curious though, is there a reason you didn't go with this particular card? Everything I've seen of it looks very good, from what people are saying. I'm also open to hearing about the card you picked up if that might possibly be another option. I'm not dead set on USB... just interested in what other blind streamers are using as their setups.

2019-06-20 02:44:40

USB C is very confusing, no it is not just one cable, or well, it is but like they have different standards, I don't really understand it all myself.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-20 16:50:21

Well, the live gamer portable 2 plus is in transit.. I should get it by today. Will be interesting to see if it's as easy to set up as everyone says it is. Hope direct monitoring at least for audio is relatively painless. You're supposed to be able to send audio and party chat separately, but I have no plans to do that... long as I get the game's audio and my commentary, that'll be plenty.

2019-06-21 10:10:24

Well, thoughts on the live gamer portable 2 plus... it seems to be a god device. Nice size and weight, but my one gripe so far is that by default when recording in pc free mode direct to the SD card, no audio is monitored. You have to tell it to monitor the audio for it to do so. I also haven't gotten a successful recording yet, though I don't know the reason behind that... I am wondering if I'm unplugging the card from power too soon after I press stop. How long should it theoretically take to save, say, a 5 minute video to the sd card? I just assumed that it was saving while I was recording, similar to audio recorders.

2019-06-21 12:53:07

Are you sure the SD card is correctly formatted and the right speed (Class 10 is what I used for mine when I had the LGP working)?  Have you used the Storage Mode (I think that's what it's called) instead of just unplugging the SD from the unit?  That's what it's designed for after all.  If you'd like to be really certain and everything is formatted correctly ,I'd suggest leaving the SD card in for about a minute or so just to make sure the footage is there before ejecting it.  This is precisely why OBS is easier to work with, even though the convenience of SD recording is not to be underestimated in certain scenarios.

You likely have to set the monitoring up in the AVerMedia software, possibly.  Not certain on that though.  Hope you get everything working to your liking.

Regards,
Sightless Kombat.

2019-06-21 18:23:01

Yes, the SD card is formatted correctly. It shows up when I use storage mode, I haven't removed it since putting it in. Amazon says the sandisc ultra cards are class 10 rated, which is what I'm using. The monitoring isn't a big deal though, I'm more keen to figure out why I am seemingly not able to record. I am guessing then that video doesn't write continuously to the card and only saves once I actually press stop in which case I have to wait an unknown amount of time before unplugging the USB from power? I know OBS is probably easier to work with, but I wanted to test with recording before I went through all the steps of setting up a stream.

2019-06-23 02:05:02 (edited by assault_freak 2019-06-23 02:37:04)

Well, that's it then. Direct recording hasn't gone smoothly at all for whatever reason, so I'm going to switch to pc mode to try and at least get OBS to recognize it and output the stream so I can monitor it to see if it's the card, or my SD card which is preventing me from recording. Now to figure out OBS... which is the hard part. Tips still appreciated!

An updated thought... I'm wondering if one thing unmentioned about this card is that it may need to be plugged into an external display for some bizarre reason before it can record directly. That would be annoying... sigh. This is proving a bit more of a hastle than I'd hoped.

2019-06-24 04:44:22

OBS question, which should hopefully make it easier... my card is reputedly installed and working fine. I added it to the default scene as a video capture device, and all the audio options I can find are unmuted or set to output the capture audio. Yet when I click start recording, nothing happens. But when I switch over to the card itself, I can monitor the console's audio with a headset so it's definitely coming through the HDMI... what is going on here? lol