2019-06-19 23:49:18

Half the time I can't fit my question in to the alotted character space. Can the limet of topic titles be made longer?

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-06-20 01:19:53

I've never once had this fail on me, I don't think it's a  necessity, and I'd recommend against it, or people would try to write a paragraph in it. Just ask the question in a succinct manner and elaborate in the post body.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-20 12:06:27

agree with post 2. just put your question in the body not the title.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-06-20 12:06:40

agree with post 2. just put your question in the body not the title.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-06-20 19:23:58

Supporting what most other users are saying, honestly. I don't think I've ever had a title run overlong on me, and you guys know how verbose I can get.

If it's that big an issue, make your subject something like one of the following:
Question about Complex arrays in Python
Stoneback Hill on Sryth: anyone Else Notice this?
Best way to get trash items in BK3?
Question about speech difficulty

And on, and on, and on.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-06-21 19:22:50

I agree with everyone else, but it's also worth pointing out that sometimes people swing in the total opposite direction and make their topic title too vague, as in just writing help with this or something, and that annoys me way more. Unless I really have nothing better to do, I'm not going to click on a topic with a subject like that. This isn't forum specific, much less specific to this forum, it's been a problem on mailing lists for years and years too, but it's related to this.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-21 23:42:13

Jayde wrote:

Supporting what most other users are saying, honestly. I don't think I've ever had a title run overlong on me, and you guys know how verbose I can get.

If it's that big an issue, make your subject something like one of the following:
Question about Complex arrays in Python
Stoneback Hill on Sryth: anyone Else Notice this?
Best way to get trash items in BK3?
Question about speech difficulty

And on, and on, and on.

What does verbose mean?

2019-06-22 18:37:09

Verbose [ver-bohs], adjective:
1characterized by the use of many or too many words; wordy:
All of Jayde's posts are verbose.
Source:
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/verbose
Yes, for all of it, even the example! tongue
OK, not really. Dictionaries generally aren't that entertaining. But they're still very useful, and y'all should use them more often.

Yes, I definitely left the forum. Mhm. Why would you have any doubt?
Code 7 tips: https://forum.audiogames.net/topic/4010 … or-code-7/
Don't forget to be awesome!

2019-06-22 19:38:56 (edited by musicalman 2019-06-22 20:07:29)

I agree with what many people say, however I have run into the limit before. For the record, I tested said limit and you only have 70 characters for your topic title.

I do understand that 70 characters is enough to post a summary or title to most ideas. But I can also see why it isn't. When posting about a technical topic, or a topic that involves several things at once, where a more verbose subject seems appropriate, I tend to like to post longer titles with the belief that a detailed title will let you know right away if you're interested in the thread or not.

Here's an example: When I made my "how to make your old games sound the way they were intended to sound" article, I had to fight with it a little to come up with a title that would fit. The title I gave above is 68 characters. It fits, though, and is ultimately what I settled on. But I'll describe my thought process to get there:

At first I wanted to use something like "how to get back hardware accelerated sound on modern versions of Windows," then I realized that not only was this too long, but people wouldn't know what I'm talking about. Then I tried something like, "how to make your old games sound the way they were intended to sound on modern versions of Windows." That's even longer, but it's clearer. Then I tried something like "how to make your old games sound as intended on modern versions of Windows." Nope, still too long. In the end, I ended up removing the "on modern versions of Windows" part, and then I stated clearly in the introduction that it is intended for modern versions of Windows. Despite my worries at the time, this probably has no baring at all on the impressions of the article. But I just like having detailed titles. That way, people know exactly what they're getting into before they even click on a topic.

On other forums I'm on, at least the one where I have written a long title or two, there doesn't seem to be a limit, or at least, the limit is longer than it is on this forum. However a character limit presents an interesting challenge, as now I have to pack a detailed description into 70 characters. It's good practice on condensing your thoughts, if nothing else. In any case, some people don't check to make sure their title fits in the limit. For me, that's more annoying than the limit itself.

I should probably state that I'm not advocating super long titles. I understand that brevity is something valuable that we all must learn to attain to some degree. Even so, I'm verbose myself. I hate removing words for the sake of condensing something. I don't hate it because I'm opposed to it, I hate it because I'm afraid of how my message will come across once I remove words. But this is just a personal quirk I have. I envy people who don't have the compulsion to write down every detail which crosses their mind. Lol
Edit: removed android example and replaced with a more practical one that I actually had to think through when posting a thread.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-06-22 23:01:17

It should be  increased to 95  characters I M O

2019-06-23 16:46:53 (edited by Dark 2019-06-24 12:16:18)

Ironically, as not exactly Mr. Concise myself,  think the only  I've ever run nto the title limit was when
was working as a mod and had to include phrases like "moderation warning! please read" along with the actual title.

it seems that more often than not, people are more likely to write titles that are too short than too long.
After all how many topics do we have with subjects like:
"A question?", or "A computer problem?" or "A funny thing I noticed?", or "Bk3" or the like.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)