2019-06-16 03:35:54

So last week my dad met this woman who apparently does hypnotist work. She told my dad something, and I'm wondering if it is actually true. She said that blind people would be good hypnotists because their mind is clear, because they can't see anything.

I doubt that's true. Because we still have hear, touch, smell, and taste. So even though we can't use sight we can still focus on something just as hard as people can with sight. Now, here's my question. Why do people think our mind would be more clear? Wouldn't our mind be even less clear since hypnosis is just eyes closed? We already don't focus on sight, we focus on the other 4, so wouldn't we be extremely focused on the other 4 so much that our mind is even less clear than sighted people because they don't focus on anything but sight?

I thought this was an interesting question, so I wanted to ask what y'all think.

2019-06-16 03:57:34

For me I'm in my head maybe a little to much. I find it tough to have a clear mind. I don't know if there be a difference between blind people and sighted we both have a lot to focus on.

Kingdom of Loathing name JB77

2019-06-16 07:28:13 (edited by kianoosh 2019-06-16 07:33:53)

I don't think if eyesight is a prerequisite for hypnosis. For instance, I heard around that some hypnotists tell their client to look at a clock while doing their work on them.
Sometimes people refer to purity by being clear...

---
Co-founder of Sonorous Arts.
Check out Sonorous Arts on github: https://github.com/sonorous-arts/
my Discord: kianoosh.shakeri2#2988

2019-06-16 07:49:57

I am pretty undecided on the subject because I like to use hypnosis scripts that involve all the senses, even if you've never had input through any of them.
For instance, even though I am blind and severely hard-of-hearing, I use my colour and sound synaesthesia to make hypnosis scripts and soundscapes.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-06-16 09:13:25

@4 interesting. That really adds a different level of play to this concept. Sure, we can't see, but my mind automatically color codes everything for me. Synesthesia is still color, just inside the mind instead of outside. And I think this question is different for every person, due to the different types of synesthesia, schizophrenia, and other weird conditions. Heck probably even some physical conditions could probably effect how clear the mind is.

2019-06-16 17:25:54

Just so as not to get the whole discussion wrong, does the following concept define hypnosis in the sense that you understand it?
Definition: Hypnosis is a human condition involving focused attention, reduced peripheral awareness, and an enhanced capacity to respond to suggestion.

2019-06-16 22:33:26

I know of a couple of blind hypnotherapists, so I'd say this isn't true. Just another stereotype, though a pretty harmless one, like the supposed fact that all blind people are musical geniuses.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-17 01:13:19

This strikes me as oddly similar to the idea that blind people are good-hearted, kind, pure, god-like people because we can't see and are hence not tempted by the demons of the world (if only they knew how cruel blind people are to each other.) I still remember an incident about fifteen years ago in high school where I was telling someone about something that was upsetting me and their reaction was "You get mad? But you're blind..."

2019-06-17 01:45:33 (edited by magurp244 2019-06-17 01:53:36)

Hypnosis has a long history outside Psychology, where its more of a niche specialization. Flipping through some hypnosis association memberships i've come across all sorts of people who practice it, Hawaiian Witch Doctors, Past Life Regressionists, New Age Health types who peddle stop smoking aids and quality of life, stage magicians etc. So, grain of salt and all that.

As for hightened succeptability, I mean if a sighted person were to close their eye's then they would be reducing the amount of sensory input, which could potentially make them more succeptable. But for a blind person who processes sensory information differently I doubt that would result in any greater suceptability, maybe if they were recently blind perhaps, but generally unlikely. Suceptability or inducing a hypnotic state can involve any number of senses, some hypnotists for example use things like physical objects for blind people when inducing a trance state, specifically because it gives them something to focus on. Other's work with mental visualization techniques, but in some cases that doesn't work either, if anyone recalls my topic on Aphantasia, or the inability for some people to visualize things in their mind. Inducing states like these should always be taken on a case by case basis.

Things like this are irritating not just because their misleading, but that they represent a form of cognitive bias or logical fallacy, and i've heard all kinds of strange things people associate or conflate together. It might seem benign, but put into stressful or authoritative decision making situations it can result in serious harm.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-06-17 02:21:19 (edited by amerikranian 2019-06-17 02:22:09)

I am sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am very skeptical of hypnosis in the first place. I don't even know if the fact that it works has been proven beyond the word of the patient. How do we know that hypnosis works on people because it actually does something to their brain and not because somebody got into a person's head and  convinced them that it will work? Furthermore, if hypnosis truly works and exists, what makes it possible? Social engineering plays on one's emmotions, fears, and vulnerabilities, and it doubtlessly works. We have hard cold evidence that it does, hell I have been on the receiving side of it once, but from what I've seen, people that have undergone hypnosis could not provide indisputable facts which state that the process actually works.

2019-06-17 03:10:43

@8, that's a new one, I've never heard that blind people are supposedly godlike beings until you said that. In fact, if the masses are to be believed, blind people are famous for having a chip on their shoulder and refusing help to the detriment of their safety and/or self-esteem, whichever comes first, thus why we apparently have to be ambassadors, and prove that we're normal. I guess that comes full circle in a way, but I've never experienced that thought process quite on the level that you describe. At one point when I was in high school, my mom told me, point blank, that she didn't want me to grow up to be fat, lazy, and useless like the majority of blind people. Of course, that comes from someone who has experience being around us, but still, not only was it totally degrading, it also shows how skewed in the total opposite direction some sighted people's mindsets can be.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-06-17 03:21:19

@6 I don’t know how hypnosis works, I was too lazy to do any research before posting.

2019-06-17 03:30:09

I don't know that I believe in hypnosis, and the only way that I could is to have undergone the process, which requires giving up more of myself than I am willing to the process. People could be paid to act, for instance.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-17 05:47:43

10. Is there a difference whether it works because someone is convinced it works or because it's actually making changes to the brain? Then you can ask yourself, what is making changes, the suggestion, or the person's belief that it works?

I don't think being blind makes us any more capable than anyone else in this field. . You hypnotize yourself every day though, there's nothing really mystical or difficult about it. Affirmations are a form of self-hypnosis, so is meditation.

thanks,
Michael