2019-06-12 19:09:08

@Cmerry, bard and bookshare have you verify that you are blind by having a doctor, or a social worker, or someone like that verify that you are blind by filling out a form that qualifies you for the service. They just have to sign off on it, but you have to live in the united states and you need to be blind or low-vision. This is mostly because of very strict copyright laws that we have here.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-06-12 19:54:47

@24, I am not talking about separation in the context your post is in. I am talking about restriction of the scope of communication. For example, will you:
1) Only allow blind people,
2) Only allow sited people, or
3) Allow both?
@23, I believe in the idea that you can mix a blind and sited community/social network very nicely and have all of the blind-friendly features as well (including audio games). In fact, such a social network may foster some interesting new creations from both sides of the spectrum.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-06-12 19:59:42 (edited by Ethin 2019-06-12 20:16:45)

OK, sorry for the double-posting, but... I must say that in your video you say that the general purpose, to start out, will be "dating and communication of the visually impaired." That, my friend, is a very, very bad idea, on multiple levels. All you need do is look at the many dating sites that already exist to understand exactly why. (Hint: one-third of those who go to dating sites as a resort never actually go on a date with anyone on those sites, and 1 in 5 people ask someone else to help them design their profile.)
Let's take EHarmony, for example. EHarmony has 10,000,000 active users. If we use those statistics, then approximately 3.3 million users never go on a date, and 2,000,000 of those users have help designing their profile.
Source: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 … ne-dating/
It doesn't help that most dating sites contain so called "fake profiles," which is just a way for the site to increase its list of supposed "active users" to increase its popularity. In truth those sites that engage in such practices have no users until real people sign up; the fake profiles is a way for the website to look very popular and (hence) gain more users. So if your on one of those websites (including EHarmony), there's a medium-to high-risk that you will get one of these "fake profiles". (It doesn't help that 99 percent of them require you to pay or upload pictures to complete your profile, nor does it help that, since you have to upload pictures, and anyone can on their profiles, you can look however you like with photoshop, gimp or other photo editing applications.) That is why I avoid dating websites; I'll visit some here and there but have never actually committed myself to one, mainly because I have no way of knowing how trustworthy the site is, and therefore have no way of knowing if the person I'm supposedly matched for (I never get to the talking stage due to the payment requirement) is a person, a psychopath, or a fake profile.
Edit (for like the fourth time): it also doesn't help that every dating site I've used or heard of (Match, EHarmony, Zoosk, ...) does absolutely no background checks or verification of any kind. All you do is register an account, upload your picture and do your profile, pay the greedy business, and go on your way. There is no actual security of any kind. If those sites were social networks and not dating sites, I could understand the lack of background checks. Bu a dating website? No thanks, I'd like background checks to ensure that I'm not going to be communicating with a criminal who just got done committing genocide.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-06-12 22:13:55

@27 I do believe in that idea as well, however so far nobody did this and nobody probably ever will. Most popular social networks have way more important things to do than audio games. Take Facebook for example, where people are free to create games, yet they are completely inaccessible.

2019-06-13 01:28:34 (edited by Ethin 2019-06-13 01:28:44)

@29, your right, no one has ever truly done it, but it is possible if people would just try it. Its much easier than most people think, especially with a community like this one at their disposal.

My Github

2019-06-14 19:46:16

@24 I'm perfectly WITHIN my right to say i FEEL it's not necessary. or ask why it's necessary. so I will stress here. in all caps.
IT'S NOT NECESSARY. WHY SHOULD IT BE NECESSARY? If you can't handle a critical question or my criticism. then don't post topics you can't handle criticism on.

2019-06-14 21:37:12

Ethin, I had an idea to create a dating site.
For many developers, dating sites and applications are business. I'd like to create a free application.

nidza07, As I said, you cannot search in Facebook for people by parameters.

michaelhoffman1976, I know a lot of blind guys and girls who support me in this. They would like to find a boyfriend or a girlfriend among the blind. This social network can help them.
About criticism. I treat criticism the way Bill Gates treated.

2019-06-15 05:23:35 (edited by amerikranian 2019-06-15 05:24:45)

I am just curious as to why some blind people want a blind significant other?

2019-06-15 05:28:10

All this discussion is moot until we see him actually start writing something, even if it's a php backend. My guess is that he will give up quickly like Ethin said in one of the earlier posts here because, if you look at all the other topiocs he has started, you will see that he just has random ideas that go nowhere. I can't recall ever seeing him present us a single line of code, much less a functional application. But anyone can dream. But I agree that a dating web site would not be successful. People just need to go out and seize opportunities to meet people. Online won't do that stuff for them, especially since a lot of people have inflated views of themselves, which they then put in their profiles, which the online algorithms use to match the people up. Those algorithms are far from ideal. SO it's propogating the error of the people overestimating their good qualities and downplaying their bad at least twice over and probably more.

I like to sleep, Sleep is good,
This is how I do it: Lie on a nice warm cozy bed, and dream dreams about how to rule the world!
Follow @TheGreatAthlon5 on twitter for humorous facts and game updates!
If you like my posts, thumb me up!

2019-06-15 10:50:01

keyIsFull, All my applications are in Russian.
I'm ready to share the code if you understand this.

2019-06-15 14:48:57

sounds like you are really interested in making a dating site instead of a general social network. I agree that the latter is unnecessary, since you can just create a page on FB for your blind/VI community.

A dating site like that could have a use I suppose, although I would have no interest in it myself. Largely for the reasons Ethin pointed out. Also I am really surprised that there are a significant amount of blind/VI people  who dont want to date sighted people as you state. I personally have a strong preference for dating sighted people, because my GF can help me out in ways that a blind GF would be unable to. In that way me and my GF complement each other's abilities. I really like the idea of dating people who are very different from ourselves, because it challenges as us to grow as people.

Also dating sites feel really sleazy. If people want to meet people blind people in their local community for dating, why not go to their local blind societies (that's how I met 95% of the blind people I know). Also if people are curious about blind people in Brazil why not find some local blind/VI organizations in Brazil and just email them.

The blind community is globally really tiny and only a tiny slice of that tiny slice would jump on your site. I love audiogames.net, but just think how such a small amount of people use it. I don't think you could expect more users than that and realistically should expect much much less.

2019-06-15 23:05:18

@35, excuses, excuses. Language is irrelevant here. You haven't shared any code samples whatsoever here, which makes us disbelieve you. It doesn't help that you cannot settle on a single language that you want to do, nor does it help that when you try something its always filled with misinformation.

My Github

2019-06-20 05:16:48

@36, I agree. Not all blind people should be with blind people. That's like saying Black women should be with black men and white men should marry white women. I find it annoying that blind persons such as yourself segrigate blind people into a certain group. Like we shouldn't integrate into society. Anyway, people who sign up for those dating sights are mainly rapists trying to find their next victims without working.
"For example, show me social networks where I can search for people by parameter. Gender, age, marital status, city, etc." ALL DATING SITES DOES THAT DAMN IT! STOP ACTING LIKE THAT'S SOME GROUND BREAKING NEVER BEFORE USED TECHNOLOGY LIKE TELEPORTATION PADS THAT SEND PEOPLE TO MARS! You annoy me and I wish he gets banned for his sickning selfish self centered lying self. and i am sorry if i am harsh. NO WAIT, I'M NOT!

You ain't done nothin' if you ain't been cancelled
_____
I'm working on a playthrough series of the space 4X game Aurora4x. Find it here