2019-06-12 12:48:17

Hello all.
Before I start asking I will say. I am not asking a question about how to get started with python, I am asking what I need to learn to make a game.
I already know the basics of python, so for example I am ok with getting a program to read a file, then to write to a different file, then to go and download a file, so on and so forth.
My problem at hand is getting my knowledge into a game; I am not sure what modules   I should be learning.
Should I learn pyaudiogame, or learn about pygame,
What I am trying to find is different options for getting started with making games.
Also if any one has any good options, how  would  I  learn about that module or library?
Thanks, and best regards

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-12 13:07:34

Well I've never really herd of pyaudiogame, if that's even a thing. I'd recommend pygame, at least that's what minefield re write and a couple of my other test python projects are made with.

2019-06-12 13:22:25

so,
let me get this
you use mixer for your sound?
and you use pygame keyboard module?
But what do you use to make the window, Also to my knowlige the mixer does not work with 3 D audio.
thanks,

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-12 14:02:28

The window is usually created by pygame itself too and the mixer module works just fine for simply playing some sounds. But yes, you're right, the mixer doesn't support 3D audio. If you really want to have 3D audio, you should prefer OpenAL (or more advanced BASS wrappers, since there is a HRTF-based 3D audio add-on already in the works for that).
Best Regards.
Hijacker

2019-06-12 14:14:56

thanks.
By the way how would i go about learning pygame's sintacks?
thanks.

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-12 14:24:38

also, @2
pyaudiogame is a thing, It lets you create games with only 1  module.
however it's not the best, but that's just going of what i have seen with it.

If any one has any more info about pyaudiogame that would be grate also!

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-12 14:43:16

I guess I should have been more clear. It's not made completely with pygame, pygame just handles the simple stuff like window, keyboard handling, etc. For sound I use a combination of sound_lib and amerikranian's awesome sound_pool, other things like menu were used with private modules I have access to.

2019-06-12 14:47:15

ok, would you be able to shair any open source code or some thing.
so I could have an idea how it all works?
thanks.

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-12 19:18:47

HI.
Well you don't really learn syntax with pygame, it uses regular python syntax, you just need to read the pygame manual to get familiar with how pygame works.
The mixer in pygame is very basic, it plays sounds but never 3d. Like others have said if you want 3d sound there are other options than pygame. You could try using piglet too, it has some unique features for handling gaming things.
I wouldn't recommend using pyaudiogame, it has good features, but it is very outdated. It's your choice, but like I said, I would stick with pygame, piglet, or whatever else you find useful.
Hth.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-06-12 22:15:45

thanks, I will learn a bit of pygame
thanks for the help, I all ready now how to use the mixer and the key input. going to try to learn about open al

Have a lovely day.

2019-06-13 03:20:40

You may find my [OpenAL Examples] useful, as they cover 3D positional Audio, Recording, HRTF, Effects, and Filters. If you want screen reader output you could also go with Tolk, though the download last checked had some issues. There's a test pack [here] with the necessary files however. Other libraries besides Tolk would be Pyttsx or Accessible_Output2.

Window handling in Pygame is also fairly straight forward, here's a simple example with a main loop:

import pygame
from pygame import mixer
import sys

def Example():
#initialize pygame
    pygame.init()
#initialize sound mixer
    mixer.init()
#create display
    window = pygame.display.set_mode([640,480])
#load sound
    sound = mixer.Sound('tone5.wav')

#main update loop
    while True:
        for event in pygame.event.get():
            if event.type == pygame.KEYDOWN:
            #if space is pressed, play sound
                if event.key == pygame.K_SPACE:
                    sound.play()
            #if escape is pressed, quit
                if event.key == pygame.K_ESCAPE:
                    pygame.quit()