2019-06-10 20:11:10

So I'm currently using a Samsung Galaxy S8, thinking about an upgrade. I was originally going to get an upgrade to the S10 since there is a promo currently happening with my carrier, but as it turns out, there's also one going for the Pixel 3A. Which phone does everyone recommend? If you've used both, which do you like more and why? I'd mainly want to stay Samsung for Voice Assistant, but I'm debating between the two.
Thoughts, anyone?

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-06-10 20:53:02

I'd stay with Samsung, especially since you're already used to it. Also, the Pixel 3A is a mid-range device, whereas the S10 is of course a flagship and therefore has much better specs. The Pixel does run stock Android, so if you want more frequent and faster updates then that may be a reason to switch. It's not enough though in my opinion, and Voice Assistant is much better than Talkback, at least in my experience.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-06-10 21:06:01

i think samsung galaxy s10 is best choisse. It have voice asistant, and probably more spex too

Yours kindly

2019-06-10 21:08:25

The specs are higher indeed, yeah. The upside though is with the pixel, I save 500 dollars. lol And it's also a smaller device, portability is nice. Hey look that rhymed.

2019-06-10 21:29:33

As I have a Galaxy S10E in Pink, well, ...

Keep in mind with Google specific phones, it's good to get the latest updates sure, though what happens if ya install it too early and a bug shows up?

2019-06-11 03:39:57

@queenslight
A little OT, but how's the fingerprint censor on that thing? If I was to get one of the S10 models, that'd be the big thing for me since 128 GB is really all I'd ever need, but I haven't really found any comparisons of the two censors.
So far it looks like everyone here seems to be saying stick with the Galaxy. Any pixel users have upsides for switching? Aside from costing less and more frequent updates.

2019-06-11 03:48:20

I always hated samsung phones. the last 2 I had just sat there collecting dust. the pixel is an awesome phone. I never put that thing down. samsung's UI is just weird, plus the pixel is faster than the s1 to me at least.

2019-06-11 08:13:49

In what way was the Samsung UI weird compared to the Google one? Also, which model did you have?

2019-06-11 13:06:43

i recommend a samsung device since you already used to it. yeah sure you could argue that google pixel 3a is the device with faster android updates, but voice assistant is way way better than talkback.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-06-11 13:37:56

@BlindNinja: You mentionned the lower price and smaller size of the Pixel 3A. Perhaps you may consider the S10E since it is smaler and cheaper than the regular S10 but still have many common points with it. At least it does sound like a good compromise to me. Unless the promo you are talking about makes the S10 cheaper than the S10E.

2019-06-11 15:53:18

I have a g s10, and i love it! i'd go for that.

2019-06-11 16:03:04

@pulseman45 They're actually about the same with the promo, lol
Thanks everyone for the input so far, seems like a solid majority are saying stick with the Galaxy. I actually misread the Pixel promo, as it turns out. The promo only applies to 60 dollar plans, the one I'm currently on is only 50 bucks.
Has anybody had a chance to use both types of fingerprint censors on the S10 line? If so, how do they stack up against each other?

2019-06-11 16:34:20

I haven't had the chance to try out the S10 line, but from what I've heard, the in-display fingerprint sensor on the S10 and the S10+ can be a bit wonky. One workaround for that is to register one finger multiple times so that it has a higher chance of recognising it properly. The sensor on the S10E is the same technology as the older models, so it should work reasonably well.

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
"Cause in a game of life or death, you either live, or you die."
"Wake the fuck up, samurai. We have a city to burn."

2019-06-11 18:01:30

Yeah, that's about what I heard as well from the one review I actually found on it. Most likely going for the S10E then, since they have basically the same specs aside from the extra lens on the S10, and the bigger battery might as well not exist at all considering the bigger screen size and apparently higher resolution.

2019-06-11 19:31:25

The sensor works better on the e, but it is harder to reach.

2019-06-11 20:12:58

what's the difference between talk back and voice assistant? i have a pixel II and i love it.

2019-06-11 20:18:40

The biggest difference? Voice Assistant supports gestures using up to four fingers, which means no angled gestures. They are essentially the same screen reader since VA gets its source code from talkback, Samsung just slapped a fresh coat of paint on it.

Discord: clemchowder633