2019-06-09 15:19:45

Hello!
I have a big problem in NPP with Jaws 2019 home Annual. When I select the text, I geet no speech feedback on what is selected.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-06-09 20:49:27

Yup, JAWS needs some serious work in the editor. I've switched back to NVDA only because of JAWS' poor Notepad++ support and am planning to bring this up at the next FS Open Line, that how come JAWS sees no love in Notepad++? Surely there are JAWS coders also that use Notepad++.

I'll take a look at selection announcement if I can find some time to investigate the program. Pulling off indentation announcement was bad enough because of JAWS' unreliability in the editor.

2019-06-09 22:00:53

Ah I see. That's why I still keep NVDA. sad

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2019-06-09 23:37:05

I'm no jaws expert, or even a jwas user, for that matter but i believe jaws has an npp script. Do you have that installed?

2019-06-10 18:39:05

Hey @Munawar,
I have contacted the FS Line of boredom about the NPP problem, and... their response satisfied me. Here it is:

I asked my self the same question a couple of months ago. This is why in the JAWS update which should release later this week, we’ve added proper Notepad++ support. In addition to basic editing features:

•    If line numbers are being shown, JAWS speaks them and shows them in Braille.
•    JAWS speaks and Brailles autocomplete suggestions
•    Contracted Braille input works properly.

If after trying this you notice problems or find things that still aren’t working as expected, please let us know.

Thanks

--Glen

Glen Gordon
Vispero™ | Software Fellow
17757 US Highway 19 N, Suite 560, Clearwater, FL 33764
T 727-803-8000 F 727-803-8001
[email protected]
www.vispero.com

Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 5:52 AM
To: FSCast <[email protected]>
Subject: FS Cast

Hello!
How comes, that Jaws – the most professional screenreader currently available for Windows does not support the Notepad Plus Plus editor? I am 100% sure there are still people who use that editor fro coding, or even just text reading. That’s really much of a pity, because JAWS is really great, but this quirk leaves me, as a programmer to use the alternative which should not be mentioned.
I hope you will read my message and fix it!
Regards,
N.

2019-06-10 18:57:17

Hey, this is great news! If indentation also works without the custom scripts, I can use JAWS full-time. Like you, this was my only holdup.

Thanks for the update.

2019-06-10 20:02:19

I have actually been relying on JAWS for NPP, because it reads the line numbers unlike NVDA, although it doesn't echo selected text, but this update sounds awesome.

T-m

2019-06-10 20:32:01

NVDA reads line numbers if you enable the appropriate option in document formatting settings.

2019-06-10 20:40:22

Appropriate setting=Preferences->Editing->Display line number.

2019-06-11 08:21:08

I also got info, that Putty will work out of teh box! Avesomeness!

2019-06-12 16:26:54

I just installed the latest JAWS update and, as advertised, JAWS is working really with Notepad++ now. It even accurately announces indentation (which is great, because I love the way JAWS announces indents in a different voice.)

You're correct about PuTTY. I do see on their page that JAWS works with PuTTY now. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm glad that JAWS finally caught up to NVDA in this regard.

But... my PuTTY scripts sad

2019-06-12 16:52:20 (edited by cw 2019-06-12 16:53:45)

Finally they fixed some things that needed to be done for a good while now. I have been in a SSH and notepad++ mood lately. Why didn’t they fix this over five years ago...
Quick edit
Will apply the update today sence they are currently getting $90 of my own money for this year worth of JAWS.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-06-12 19:03:24

Yeah I see Munawar. Lol, stuff happens, these scripts served me for a while, so yeah. thanks man.

2019-06-12 19:09:05

It's funny: scripts involve creativity, so they're kind of like little artistic expressions. It really is a shame when something you invested your creative energy in becomes unnecessary and you have to scrap it.

2019-06-12 20:32:20

You are right @flackers, but on the other hand, we've got the needed tool natively, Freedom's script is very much the same stuff as Munawar wrote.

2019-06-12 22:28:24

I wonder if freedom just copied them. Yes, it  is ashame.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.
DropBox Referral

2019-06-12 22:55:53

No, they are slightly different, not very much, but there are some subtle differences.

2019-06-12 23:21:22

Sorry, what's the shame there exactly? Less scripts to install is only good for users, and especially for Jaws newbies. I will go ahead and tell you right away that I did not even know such scripts existed, since I did not know of a central resource to get them.

2019-06-13 03:03:27

I made the point it was a shame when something you create and are happy with is no longer needed. I just think we develop a slight emotional attachment to stuff we make if it does its job well.

2019-06-13 08:36:12

How do most people learn JAWS scripting anyway? Just go through the manual?

2019-06-13 10:30:23

Yeah, and read the reference.

2019-06-13 15:51:30

@flackers Exactly. Those scripts took days of me observing how JAWS is seeing the PuTTY window and all that. It was pretty involved and, I must say, a great moment for me when they started working reliably.

Even PuTTY themselves linked to my scripts on their third-party downloads page smile

So JAWS did have PuTTY support for a long time, it's that it just wasn't FS-provided support. In fact when I first installed this version of JAWS my PuTTY was double-speaking, and I remembered at that point I had my scripts installed. LOL.

@nuno69 You're welcome man and I'm glad they were helping people!

2019-06-13 18:33:53

I am loving the new speech support! I use Notepad++ to write Markdown, but I am not sure what they did, my braille display no longer works reliably. My braille cursor no-longer follows speech, and the routing keys drop you in random places.

i emailed tech support; I hope FS will fix braille support soon.

2019-06-14 06:14:31

Hello,
How do I make it speak the indentation? it's not speaking any indentation in notepad++ even if I go in jaws settings center and select the say indentation characters etc.
Regards,
Amit

There once was a moviestar icon.
Who prefered to sleep with the light on.
They learnt how to code, devices sure glowed,
and lit the night using python.

2019-06-14 16:01:49

Hi,
Press JAWSKEY+V then select "Indent Indicate."

Also, here is an additional script that will enhance the FS-provided support for Notepad++. It will speak the character your cursor is on when you press Home. Notepad++, and many other editors, do this thing where pressing Home will either land you on the beginning of the line or on the first character after the indentation. So now JAWS can tell you if you're on an indent character or actually at the start of your code.

; This script MUST be named JAWSHome for the default documentation to take effect.
Script JAWSHome ()
    PerformScript JAWSHome(); Perform default Home action.
    SayCharacter(); Simply speak the current character.
EndScript