2019-06-06 20:16:29

just as the title says, I'm looking for a free assessable virus protection program. decades ago I use to use avg and Norton, but I know times have changed and there might be better programs out there, so please if you all know any provide some links and suggestions thankyou

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2019-06-06 20:59:55

If all you need is basic protection, Windows Defender is good enough from what I've heard. Combine that with Malwarebytes and you're pretty well protected.

I use ESET NOD32 Antivirus, which can be found at eset.com.

2019-06-07 05:30:05

I use malwarebytes only. Windows dfender is completely turned off on my PC as it serves no purpose other than to hog CPU cycles and computer resources I could use on more productive activities.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-06-07 05:45:00

I think my computer has a virus or spy ware so im trying to get it removed, do these programs do this? and do you all have links?

can i get a peace double harmony burger? no chaos

2019-06-07 08:06:35

They all can remove stuff from your computer.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-06-07 08:28:39

Personally I'm with Drak on this one. I use windows defender and malware bites, plus C cleaner to keep my computer running smoothly.

AVG I'd recommend staying far, far away from. Every version since 2012 has got inaccessibler, to the point that these days even if it does! detect something, you  can't even read the warnings or interact with the screen, or heck, even  uninstall the damnable thing without sighted assistance. The program really is a menace!

Depending upon your version of windows, you might well have Windows defender preinstalled, it comes with Windows 10 by Default, you can download it for Windows 8 I think but as I've not used windows 8 I'm not sure.

If you have windows defender, you can scan straight from the application menu, or find it in settings.
If you've got something windows defender isn't dealing with, try malware bites:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Most of the miner stuff you run into trackers etc Malware  bites will eat quite successfully.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-06-07 17:04:59 (edited by Ethin 2019-06-07 17:05:42)

The issue is that you should never, ever run to AVs simultaneously on one system. If you do, there is a high risk that both of them will clash and this or this will happen. Malwarebytes is a fully-capable AV (even Sophos warns against installing it on my system because its fully capable now), so use it as-is and disable Windows Defender with NTLite or Do Not Spy. (According to MB, the site where you acquire Do Not Spy is malicious, and that's most likely to do with the fact that it has a messed up certificate chain.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-06-07 19:05:29 (edited by defender 2019-06-10 15:05:06)

Yeah I do what dark does, Malware Bytes scan every week or when I notice something, Windows defender for realtime protection though I'm sure it's not great, CCleaner every two weeks or so depending on what and how much I've been doing, and additionally Addblock Plus probably helps some as well.  If I'm going on a kinda sketchy site, I use a private window/incognito mode, and if I have to store important info like SSN or card details somewhere, I do it in a password manager with all my other passwords for more important stuff, which are all at least 11 chars long and randomized uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols.
I used to use noscript to cut down on that vector and make pages faster, but it was too much of a headache to go through and whitelist the stuff I needed for sites to function, plus now that I'm using Chrome 99% of the time it's faster anyway.
I also have my most important files and program settings/saves on a 16GB flashdrive as well as on the cloud, and I update that now and then when something significant changes.

2019-06-10 02:06:54

I'd still recommend norton, or how ever the hell you spell it.

2019-06-10 03:36:27

@9, I have no idea why; Nortin is well-known for how intrusive and ridiculous it is, not to mention how inaccessible it is.

My Github

2019-06-10 15:05:30

Agreed, Norton can die in a fire.

2019-06-10 18:15:34

Yeah, with norton, your CPU usage will go up to 300%.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-06-10 18:17:02

Another thing you guys should be aware of is that if you use Avira,  it recompiles the entire VDF for each update. I was amazed how much writes to my SSD decreased when I removed avira becaue of it's inaccessible interface. It was writing easily 10-15 gb per day.

2019-06-11 13:46:05

hi,
iwas wondering this my self. unfortunately malwarebytes is not accessible for me. I use NVDA on windows 1803. do you guys use like special version? if yes i would be interested.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-06-14 04:50:51

hi,
my recommendation is windows defender.

To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-06-14 08:00:51

Malwarebytes is perfectly accessible. Te installer needs some OCRing, but after that? Perfectly fine.

My Github

2019-06-14 10:58:59

@16 hmmm. let me try again. Last time when i downloaded it i couldn't get passed the installer. and when i try to delete it it always starts up when my computer boots.

2019-06-14 15:18:52

I am using Kaspersky Total security for testing purposes and it seems OK. What do you guys think?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com