2019-06-08 21:42:43

So, I was using Microsoft word for a while, that and libre office, but however, they are both very resource intensive, is there any alternative to Microsoft word and libre office, all I need to do is read the docs format that word  reads and a spellchecker, nothing else, Is there anything similar to what I am looking for, thanks for all the help

2019-06-08 21:45:41

I use this little gem Admittedly, I've never tried opening a DOCX in it but it claims it can at least in the file open dialog.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-09 00:08:30

I used to use LibreOffice -- and would happily switch to it. smile

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-06-09 06:33:07

I also use LibreOffice. Well, kinda.

73 Wj3u

2019-06-09 07:25:53

Post 1 stated they wish not to use Libra Office anymore ue to it being resource intensive. I'm fine with the program, aside from having to chosose create new document when launching instead of having an option to automatically create a new word document. I don't know what you could use instead, but like others I do use Libra office, sorry.

2019-06-09 12:27:54

Hello,
How do you use libre office when NVDA refuses to say all?

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-06-10 10:29:05

I usually go for Open Office. No idea if it's just another branch of Libre Office, but at least it seems faster.
I say usually... Usually I just open up Notepad, but if I had to write a DOC file that's at least my solution... Although I find myself mostly using it for spreadsheets.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2019-06-10 11:00:29

I use Office 2016, but I was surprised at how good Jarte was. Amazing piece of software, and after all, screen reader friendly. If some things could be improved there, such as the reading of tables with screen readers, it would be just cool to use. It even read the text boxes as they should be read and recognised by the screen readers. I was really really surprised by Jarte. Good job!

2019-06-10 14:47:27

I usually open docx with wordpad. It's very fast and I think it comes natively with windows, but it can't perform any spell check and it doesn't keep the format of tables. So, it's a good alternative only If you can continue using word only for the spell check.

2019-06-10 14:59:28

@Alex
Open office is actually the older, discontinued version of Libbra Office, which was branched off from the original.

2019-06-10 21:22:09

@Defender: I thought they might be related. Funny how it feels faster though, but I like that it's at least still around even if it's older.

To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower.
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.
William Blake - Auguries of Innocence, line 1 to 4

2019-06-11 16:16:30

well, interesting. Word was never too resource intensive for me. I tried to stick to open office or libre office for a while, but never caught on.. it just feels a bit lacking, but I have no idea what it is that just doesn't get quite there. As far as I know though, libre office will never be able to match some of the visual aspects of a word document, or some of the functionality, no matter how hard it tries... and that is probably what made me go back to office 2016. Not that it would matter to the op though because i know they are looking for spellcheck and the ability to just read the files. I nowadays use word docs mostly for letters anyway. I used it a lot at the university though. Comments and so on for revision of investigation works was pretty rad.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…