2019-06-07 03:47:52

This is just a quick note to let you know as of this evening I have left the moderator team. My status should be updated at some point this weekend to reflect that.
thanks for letting me protect and serve.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-06-07 05:28:56

We appreciate the work you did to help moderate the forum amidst all the craziness that ensued. Well done!

2019-06-07 08:43:46

we really appreciated your work! thanks liam

Yours kindly

2019-06-07 09:34:12

This was quick...

2019-06-07 10:08:17

MasterOfDeath wrote:

This was quick...

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that.

2019-06-07 10:13:41

That was faster than I could complete super Liam for the first time.

2019-06-07 10:55:46

thanks Liam. You did a good job in my opinion.

I used to be an aventurer like you. Then I took a knee in the arrow.

2019-06-07 11:36:25

But anyway, without wanting to cause any harm or anything, but then why did you even bother to apply for a position like that if you knew that you won't be able to keep it?

2019-06-07 12:57:20

MasterOfDeath, for pity's sake. Do you delight in rocking boats? This is by far not the first time you've done this. This is a bad-faith argument if ever I saw one.
Who said Liam knew he couldn't keep the job? I don't recognize that point anywhere here, or anywhere else. The fact that this decision came as a shock speaks volumes. Could it be that Liam thought he'd be fine, then tried out being a mod, and then realized he no longer wanted the hassle it entails? Not every explanation is a dark one, and not every motivation is suspect. Good grief.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-06-07 13:21:57

So imagine the following. Here in our country you go to university by applying for a thing which you study for 6 half years and then you go to further education. Nah, so, in grade 10 you think that oh, this one will be good for me, in grade 11 a different one, and finally, in grade 12, you apply for the one you really want to attend. You start it, everything goes fine until your rank is high up in heaven, and, suddenly, you get a 2 and then all your motivation goes off. And then you'll fall out and will try to attend a different one, but there they won't really look forward to hearing from you since they know your backstory. Isn't this a bit similar? I've nothing against Liam, because he did his job really well, but I'm sure, he applied for the rank after a lot of mods stepped down. So he must have known the disadvantages of being in a higher position. This community is really huge, and I'm proud of the mods for doing such a duty to keep us in controll, but sometimes, I just can't understand some things.

2019-06-07 13:28:52

Hi,
I will agree that the decision shocked me as well so much so that I ended up contacting both Jayde, and Arqmeister, in private, before heading to bed last night. This morning the first thing I did when logging on was removing Liam's subscription from the list, but I did find it a bit of a shock all the same.
Liam, can I also say I know your time was quick but thank you very much for doing what you did on the moderator list and helping us.

2019-06-07 14:41:57

You were a great mod liam! Thanks

2019-06-07 14:57:44

see? I told you? when liam became moderator.
liam got more work,
nice job liam, I also dont like so much work,
focus on your crazy streams,

allow me to speak more,
catch me on Twitter
or, Mastodon

2019-06-07 17:53:16

For anyone who missed the joke from Pool in the newsroom:

Pool wrote:

that's great.
hey, liam got some more work.

True as ever now, though it didn't help that there were a lot of clone topics in his time. Not for any reason in particular, but I think I probably counted at least a half a dozen mod warnings in a single week or two regarding these, point being the forum has gotten crazier by the minute. So when all is said and done, Liam did a great job handling it.
@masterOfDeath: Mind coming back to that after you've had experience moderating a forum if you haven't yet? Just because someone can moderate a forum doesn't mean they either can, or enjoy, handling it for a long time. I can venture to guess that there was no contract that said you must moderate for x amount of years, indeed in the staff invitations topic I may remember a person or two saying they may be able to do it temporarily or in their spare time or what have you. Additionally being a moderator is just not for everyone, and seeing as there's no apprenticeship on here, the only real way to find out is to give it a whirl if you're invited and find out if it is or isn't for you.

2019-06-07 19:49:48

Props for not smearing fellow mods on the way out.  I sympathise somewhat for those few who did that, because many of their points seemed valid and it was good to get a look behind the scenes in a way, but all it does is hurts both the site's and your rep when that happens and some of the stuff said seemed kinda irrelevant.
I think you made the smart choice for your own mental wellbeing, and I know you'll continue to be a part of the community in other ways.  It'll be sad to see you go though since you were the one picking up the slack in the last couple weeks LOL
Thanks for your work man!

2019-06-07 20:51:09

Nah. I don't agree with everything that was done here, and I don't agree with every position both here on and list, but I honestly feel like the mods want to do what's best for the longevity of the forum. Smearing serves no purpose.

2019-06-08 03:40:55

@15 ugh... just... ugh. I just... don't even know what to say, so it's a problem to let the truth come to light rather than hush it all up and swept under the rug for all eternity? The others didn't smear, as you call it, they shed some light on some things that honestly, I'm glad they did.

I swear, you just say things to be contrarian, or controversial, because you take the illogical position when the evidence points one way to the extent that everything else is irrelevant. Now there's an argument to made about insider secrets, but we always have and always will need whistleblowers.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-08 13:25:49 (edited by Cornettoking 2019-06-08 18:45:31)

Hi,
Agreed with Ironcross in post 17 here. For something like this, the truth should be told, rather than being swept under the rug, because then it ends up causing massive drama and harm/hostility (see the whole Walter Story).
Edit: Liam, I would love to know as well why you left all of a suddon.

Greetings and happy gaming, Julian

If you say you never lie, you're a liar.
Oh, and #freeGCW

2019-06-08 15:52:15

hi,
@1 why did you decide to leave? that was quick you were part of the moderation team since march. this decision comes as a shock to me.

If you found this post helpful, amusing or funny, please thumb it up!
To get in touch, please email me using the email link below this post. If you prefer, you can also send me a friend request on discord. I'm thetechguy#6969. Please do not send me a PM on here as I don't check those often.

2019-06-08 19:19:21

defender wrote:

Props for not smearing fellow mods on the way out.

Speak of the devil right?  lol!
So I guess the question is, is Liam really good at looking the other way, or was he not bothered by anything he saw while serving?  I've learned that it's pretty much one of those 2 options.  smile

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2019-06-08 22:10:47

Liam's character is beyond reproach. I do think there are many things to have to turn a blind eye to, as it were, to continue to serve, for it seems like trying to change them will end up seeing you shunned by the other mods. I think perhaps that he was bothered, though I can only speculate. Judging how the team reacted towards you (Aprone), and Nocternus, I would have to say that they are rather averse to change. Trying to effect change then, is tantamount to setting yourself apart from them, which they are only too happy to help you do. If you do what you're supposed to do like a good little boy, then you can be all buddy buddy with them. If not, they simply shun you. If all you can do is maintain things in this current state, which is not a good one, then why bother. I don't know Liam's motivation to join the mod team, but judging from his other endeavors, I think it was to try to effect change, to clean up the place. But, he saw that he would never graduate from midshipman, always being the one left to do the worst tasks, and that takes a toll. And, if serving on a ship, and the captain and his mates do not try to save the ship in a gale, why not take a lifeboat and strike out for shore, especially if you can see the coast on the horizon.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-06-09 03:20:11

Agree with 21 here.

2019-06-09 05:34:02

first of all, thanks for moderating, even for a short time. Never an easy job or task.
Second, to everyone speculating, (which is 98% of the post from 15 to 22) I would just hold on and respect the privacy of the individual who  made a  decision and just not stress about it... there is nothing that can be done now, anyway. Or in other words--no greater amount of whistle-blowing, smearing, enlightenment, rug lifting, whatever. will reverse this individual, personal and completely valid decision. Sure it might accomplish some things (as the infamous lory/walter case sort of did, which everyone had on their minds for no more than a month) but absolutely nothing else apart from that.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-06-09 08:13:33

I have a lot going on right now. Moderation causes stress I just can't afford to deal with. As I've said before, I wish the team all the best going forward.

2019-06-09 20:08:02

I'm kind of amused by all the rampant speculation, if I'm being completely honest. I don't agree with everything that's happened on list either, but we have a pretty open culture of communication at this point and I don't believe anyone has felt stifled, stomped or spat upon. If they have, I have yet to hear of it.
Sometimes, when people leave, it really is because they just got tired of the stress of a job and wanted to be done. I don't see why everything has to be a conspiracy, or must represent some sort of corruption. I'm not a big fan of the shit-disturbing, thanks.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1