2019-06-05 22:06:35

Is it possible to play fortnite as a blind in any way? Best regards: marco

Best regards: Marco

2019-06-05 22:22:00

i don't think so. I haven't tried, but I can't think of a way it could be done.

2019-06-06 03:39:14 (edited by Jod 2019-06-06 03:39:25)

NO
it
isn't

2019-06-06 07:22:39

It is not possible

---------------
There will come nothing, for there was nothing.

2019-06-06 10:32:36

It's virtually impossible. I don''t know why that game became so popular but didn't add accessibility.

73 Wj3u

2019-06-06 11:18:25

Fortnites played in third person, there is positional audio for things like swapping weapons, players moving around unstealthily, specific weapons, and directional impacts and weapons fire. Where it all falls appart though is navigation, there's no way to orient yourself away from the storm, there's an audio countdown and a siren when its closing, audio when your in the storm, but no way to orient out of it or away from it. Nor is there a way to adequately navigate though variable terrain, check the minimap, inventory or menus, tell where stairs or cliffs are, or whether your impacting a barrier, etc.

So far the accessibility menu includes things for color blind and deaf users, with differing color modes and a recent (april) audio visualizer.There are other ways to potentially compensate, such as with a sonifier like The vOICe, playing with teammates, etc. but considering the competitive nature of the game you'd be looking at an uphill battle, so to speak. The Save The World version might be a bit forgiving if played with teammates, to a point, if only because you can mostly go at your own pace.

Its difficult to say how responsive they would be to a few blind accessibility options if suggested, might not hurt to talk with them about it.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-06-07 23:28:22

Yeah, we just have to try to inform the devs of blind accessibility, because ambiences like crickets don't pan when you turn away from them, but chests do.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @thecoolgamer4 and subscribe to my Youtube channel

2019-06-12 00:13:31

Not sure if they are gonna listen, though. Would not hurt to email them, however I mean, I don't think that's gonna happen.

2019-06-12 01:41:41

I mean, you can do certain things, but can't play it very well.

2019-06-12 19:54:08

Hi.
I would like to play but I'm not sure how a blind person would go about it. Maybe the devs would be willing to listen if a reasonable person talked to them but you never know. I think we all remember what happened years ago with silversword.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-06-14 13:50:51

Let’s face it, they just don’t give a shit. If you email them, they could either tell you something like “ we’ll take that into consideration,  but really they don’t care, or they just won’t reply.

warning: this post is about to end, press h, or don't, I don't mind.

2019-06-15 01:59:57 (edited by magurp244 2019-06-15 02:02:15)

@11
Game development can be a very complex and difficult affair. Its easy on the outside to fall towards pessimism without knowing the details and challenges that developers may face, but thinking that way isn't productive. There's a difference between not being a priority and not caring, and they've shown they care to a degree by adding deaf and color blind features already, but there are other factors at work here you should take into consideration.

Reports from inside the company [here] indicate that since fortnites boom in popularity, teams are under intense pressure and work gruelling hours making content to keep the game popular and engaging, which may make devoting resources to accessibility difficult. Another example of such a situation would be the tragically mismanaged Telltale games [here], I know many people here might have liked to have better accessibility for their games, and maybe thought they didn't care about accessibility at all either. But the reality was that they simply didn't have the time or means given the intense crunch to publish, not even to go back and fix bugs or implement quality of life features.

The fact is we won't know how they might respond until we ask, or if they can do it given the circumstances. If someone does ask and they blow them off with excuses or a lack of explanation and clearly don't care, then we'll justifiably start reaching for the pitchforks and torches. Until then however we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

If anyone wants to raise the issue with them though, it may be better to contact them publicly such as on forums rather than directly through email. It seems they've shifted over to discord and reddit, there's a bunch of links [here] to each.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer