2019-06-02 18:06:16

@Lucas Sure, but the best part of the game as it used to be, at least for me, was the ability to stop at settlements other people made, and choose to make new settlements to help other people later. Kinda takes the fun out of it when I'm making a new character every five minutes and only stopping at towns my last characters made, you know? Just my take.
@Kinshira, Aprone hosted it on his own server several years ago, but stopped because it wasn't getting enough people and he needed the server space for Swamp and Castaways.

Boldly going where everyone's already been.

2019-06-02 21:12:50

For who revived the topic
I hope in the midil of the night the alfa monkey comes at you and eat’s you!.
Really, why not make a new topic? Ugh..

2019-06-02 21:24:00

I agree i would love to join a server. only came on this game now. and its adictive. if any 1 is hosting please post here

There's a place for me in this universe.

2019-06-02 22:44:22

I'd host if I could but I just have a laptop, it's not on all the time, and I'm not really sure how to make it all work. But if there's any way around those issues I'd do it.

Boldly going where everyone's already been.

2019-06-03 00:18:56

I wonder if you could get Chris Wright to run a server? I'll contact him and see what he thinks.

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-06-03 01:37:07

#202, calm down. No need to make a new topic and clutter anything up.

2019-06-03 01:39:57

I don't think running a server is going to work unless someone is willing to host it on a Windows Server. When I run the application in Wine, I get the following gibberish. "wine: Unhandled stack overflow at address 0x7bc53392 (thread 0009), starting deb
ugger...                                                                       
0009:err:seh:setup_exception_record stack overflow 1360 bytes in thread 0009 eip
  7bc6218d esp 00240de0 stack 0x240000-0x241000-0x340000"

I will not be paying for a Windows Server because quite honestly they cost too much and aren't worth it. If anyone knows how to make this run in Linux, please let me know.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-06-03 05:06:21

Maybe talk to Aprone?

2019-06-03 10:16:38

I can try to host, but, sadly my IP is dynammic so it mite not be up for to long. hence i'll have to post multaple times when IP changes. Its a pain, but at least we'll all have something.  to play with. Never did this, but I can surely give it a try if  there's interest and patience smile

2019-06-03 10:38:14

I think the issue has something to do with VB 6 files. When I installed Winetricks and try running the command winetricks vb6run, I get the following.

"You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit vers
ions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WIN
EPREFIX before reporting a bug.                                                 
------------------------------------------------------                         
Using winetricks 20180217 - sha256sum: 1b156c616174f41df79d72a90c52eb2b110c63a6e
8ecb865d303a8f9f0908924 with wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1) and WINEARCH=win64 
Executing w_do_call vb6run                                                     
Executing load_vb6run                                                           
Executing wine /home/chris/.cache/winetricks/vb6run/VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe /T:C:
\windows\Temp\_vb6run /c                                                       
004a:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but n
o driver could be loaded.                                                       
004a:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and
  that $DISPLAY is set correctly.                                               
------------------------------------------------------                         
Note: command wine /home/chris/.cache/winetricks/vb6run/VB6.0-KB290887-X86.exe /
T:C:\windows\Temp\_vb6run /c returned status 199. Aborting."

What am I doing wrong? I tried creating a 32-bit Wine Prefix as well, but that doesn't help. Didn't SLJ run a server? If so, how? Was it running on a Linux VPS?

2019-06-03 11:06:03

Hello.
I have a question:
I'm new to this game, and I want to run it without the need to host a server, how can I do that?

2019-06-03 15:07:29

You can't. You have to host a server.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-06-03 15:27:12 (edited by Chris 2019-06-03 17:40:03)

You must run the server program. Once it is running, go to your web browser and type http://127.0.0.1:82 and press enter. This will allow you to play a local copy of the game. No one will be able to connect to you unless you forward port 82 in your router.

Does anyone know why this isn't running in Wine? I'm going to send this information to Aprone, although I'm not sure how much he can help me. I'd really love to host servers for Seven Shores and this game. Hosting it on a computer inside my network is unacceptable. My upload bandwidth is horrible and there's no telling when the computer might be turned off or Internet service may go out.

2019-06-03 17:30:47

Hi.
I ran into the same issue as Chris, and contacted Aprone about it. But he have no clue on how to solve the issue, so I gave up, after having spend long time on trying to fix the problem.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-06-03 18:42:08 (edited by ogomez92 2019-06-03 18:42:42)

Hi
How can we host this game? Is the code available somewhere? If so, I can host a copy on oriolgomez.com

Unles its windows only, in which case it won't be possible.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-06-03 19:20:34

The server is a Visual Basic 6 application. If you can figure out how to run it in Wine, please let me know. It may also run on a Windows Server, but Windows Server is absurdly expensive.

2019-06-03 20:27:02

Also, @Ogomez, it's in post 1 (the entire package). It's just a server application, because when you deploy it you'll simply be able to connect by going to the address of where it's hosted.
Hth!

If you have issues with Scramble, please contact support at the link below. I check here at least once a day, so this is the best avenue for submitting your issues and bug reports.
https://stevend.net/scramble/support

2019-06-04 06:40:46

sadly, I tried to host it, but the b315 rooter has 3 edit boxes. the 3 edit boxes alows you to add the vurtual server. and its ports and the IP. but I cannot figure out the names of the edit fields because it just says, edit box. trying different combenations still does not get it to work. I won't give up on this though and, if I do get this to work, i'll post here. If some one is willing to help me figure it out, i'd be more then happy to post more info and on the exact screen i am getting stuck on. perhaps some one has the exact same rooter and has figure out wich edit boxes goes ware.

2019-06-04 17:08:28 (edited by Chris 2019-06-04 17:09:17)

Are there labels above the edit boxes? In most cases, it should ask for the port number or range, the protocol to be used, and maybe the IP address of the device to forward the traffic to. For protocol, I'd use both TCP and UDP, since it was never specified which one the server uses.

This is why I'd like to host this on my VPS if at all possible. You're guaranteed 99% uptime with much faster speeds than you'd get from most residential home connections. Has anyone managed to run Visual Basic applications in Wine? If so, how?

2019-06-04 18:39:09

Hi Chris, yep its a combo box for you to select protocall, so no issue their as you can choose option 1 2 3 or both. however, its the adding of the IP and the ports and the name of this virtual server that is messing around.  but the issue is, the issue comes when its asking for wan ports and lan IP's its confusing because the description texts lists in sequence what it is asking for, but the edet boxes, has no name labels on them, it says, edet, edet, edet, so if you try to type the name of the virtual server in edit box one, the port in edet box 2. and the IP in edit box 3 of your public IP. and you press add;/apply, it jumps to edit box 2. as if its not happy with something that needs to go in to edit box 2. so then if you change the combenation around a different edit box gets highlighted.  if any one has any idea how to add this virtual server on the HUAWEI B315s WiFi Router. i'd appreciate this. I know to go to settings, security, virtual server. but from there I struggle.
I've got a feeling its something very easy to add. It just needs figuring out.

2019-06-04 19:14:21

Have you tried getting someone with vision to look at that screen? If you can't get a person, try something like Be My Eyes or Aira.

I give up. I've tried to manually register dll files using the Windows command Prompt in Wine, but that doesn't work because it can't find regvr32. Why does VB6 have to be such a pain in the ass?

2019-06-05 11:05:20

hi Chris, just a newbie question. won't running that checkup.exe file help. I know on windows systems, it is used to regester the missing dependancy files needed to run the games.

2019-06-05 14:21:16

I don't think that works. It is a program with a GUI, and I don't have a GUI on my server. i'm doing everything from an SSH connection.

2019-06-06 08:29:23

Nah it won't work. I have tried. VB6 and Wine simply doesn't work together for some weird reason. It's sad, but there is not much to do about it.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen