2019-05-23 20:13:48

I preordered it the day it became available... and if I an get a new pc set up or figure out how to make it work on my current rig, my plan is t do a day 1 stream. Unfortunately, figuring out how to get a stream set up hasn't been the easiest...

Discord: clemchowder633

2019-05-24 18:28:47

And for anyone who wants a briefer on how this game works, watch this video. Granted, the information may very well be different when it comes out, we will have to see. But so far, this is a good starting point, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt8PpLVYIeI

2019-05-24 23:58:00

Combo breaker 2019 samurai Shodown auction tournament
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EnIhokmK9I

2019-05-25 16:52:40 (edited by assault_freak 2019-05-25 18:23:27)

Here's a breakdown of the basic mechanics, if people didn't watch the video:

- 4 attack buttons; light, medium, heavy slashes, and a kick aka A, B, C, D
- a+b is dodge
- b+c is universal overhead attack that has to be blocked high
- c+d is a throw
- a+b+C is rage explosion
- perrying an attack can be done using quarter circle forward +a+B, result is different depending on the strength of the attack. Light and Medium slashes result in hit stun. Heavy slashes have hit stun on perry, as ell as the opponent being disarmed if the perry is successful. Kicks can't be perried.
- just defense is done by pressing back as an incoming attack is about to land, various versions exist in other fighters. Pressing a+b while just defending will result in a blowback attack
- throws are not techable in this game and are more of a push back instead of a full animated sequence like other fighters
- if you are disarmed, press light attack to pickup your weapon when it's nearby, don't have to be exactly on top of it.
- rage meter has two ses; passive powerup which increases your general attack and gives you access to ex-specials when you perform them using heavy slash, and rage explosion
- rage explosion is activated with a+b+C and freezes the timer until explosion runs out, and also gives access to lightning blade which is high damaging attack with fast startup, done by pressing a+b+c again. The les life you have, the longer your rage explosion lasts. Can only be done once per match, not once per round.
- three types of super attack in this game. weapon flip or wft, done by pressing quarter circle forward+B+C, which requires rage mode, not explosion. Successful conection will disarm the opponent.
- lightning blade or issen, as mentioned above, requires rage explosion and has very fast startup. Once you use it, your rage explosion will end, and this can likewise only be used once per match.
- super attack. Can only be done once per match and doesn't require any resources, but has super slow startup. Similar to ultimates in ther games, is the most flashy and cinematic attack.

Other than that, I don't think I missed anything... as emphasized before, this game has very few actual combos and is more about timing and landing strikes at critical moments. A heavy slash in rage mode can take off 30% life. Crazy stuff and best understood from watching the auction tournament above. This one is definitely one I intend to take seriously when it comes out. The only thing I would like them to do is bring back fatalities from Samurai Shodown V... would love to see those  done in a modern style!

2019-05-25 17:05:22

@Assault Freak Thanks for all the videos so far. Yep, I will definitely be picking this up now, as said earlier it'll be after my Birthday. By the way, the approximate size for the xbox version is around 19 gb according to the game's page, and it is just called Samurai Shodown.

2019-05-25 18:24:45

June 25th can't come fast enough! I love that supers are not like other games where they can be done multiple times. Really calls for smart resource management... especially when normal slashes can do as much damage as most supers in other games if used correctly. But then again, this is why I like Samurai Shodown... it does a very good job of emonstrating how lethal it is to fight with swords. Moreso than Soul Calibur, imo.

2019-06-02 05:27:31

Some more footage from combo breaker, this time without commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cSu5DLBzCo

2019-06-02 14:12:20

Hi,
Apparently there's a demo/trial version for japanese users. However I am wondering could I possibly switch my xbox region to Japanese to grab the trial if I so wished, or do you think that might not be worth the risk? I'm feeling a little on the fence about doing that myself but if it's possible, I think that's quite awesome. If not, then I'll be very happy to wait until June 25 either way.

2019-06-02 16:19:32

Switching regions doesn't get you the demo, as far as  know. You need to actually create a Japanese account which among other things, requires you to use a Japanese address. If you're willing to do that thouh then by all means grab the demo. smile I don't know if switching regions also switches stores, but I doubt it. At least, on psn it doesn't work like that. Might be different for xbox1 though... you could always ry it and keep us updated!

2019-06-02 17:42:39

The only issue is I don't know if narrator will work if I switch region. If I switch to the US, the store also switches, it was the only way I could use narrator back in the day luckily I can now use the UK store.

2019-06-02 18:02:38

Hmm. Microsoft does have Japanese voices, but I can't be certain, not having ever owned an xbox. I am seriously considering buying one, just so I have both consoles... and for the accessibility, obviously. But again, try, and let us know.. might be handy to have someone sghted around, just in case. The demo is also available in the hong kong store, which is in English apparently.

2019-06-04 16:28:52

No luck with the demo, Aaron? Impressions I'm getting from other forums seem to be positive, though there seems to be a bit of input lag the developers are already aware of, supposedly. A fix is being worked on.

2019-06-05 00:26:54

I haven't tried getting the demo yet. I've been busy with my Birthday today, and so this means that soon I shall be able to preorder the game as well.

2019-06-06 19:03:28

Just over three weeks away... the hype isn't much on this forum for this game, but it is for me! Unfortunately, many people will probably pass on this one due to the lack of singleplayer content.

2019-06-12 20:28:01

And we have the latest reveal trailer, which happens to be the one revealed at e3. The first DLC character, Rimururu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VuBmDjDnwg
For the record, anyone who orders the game before June 30th wil get the first Season pass for free for all the DLC for season 1, which includes at least two other characters along with the afore-mentioned Rimururu.

2019-06-12 22:08:27 (edited by Gilly B 2019-06-12 22:31:12)

I heard via the Events Hub podcast that the Japanese demo had 8 frames of lag, at best, in online matches. That is way bad. Holding off until I hear otherwise now. Hope that gets improved upon. Lack of substantial single player content I can deal with. But bad netcode, too? In a $60 game, no way.

PSN ID: Ray_Penber
Twitter: @violentgil

2019-06-12 22:43:00

It's confirmed that they are fixing the lag on day 1 with a patch. The developer's twitter stated that after everyone got riled up about it. Timely response on their part. And the demo build was also an early one, mostly likely not the most recent build of the game. People at tournaments didn't seem to notice the lag. And the input delay has nothing to do with netcode, either. the lag was offline because the demo was an offline only demo.

2019-06-12 23:08:55

True. Thanks for the clarification. Have ya played any SNK fighters that played well online?

2019-06-12 23:15:37

I haven't played SNK fighters since King of Fighters XIII on the ps3. lol And that game played well ater a rocky start, it also got patched quickly. XIV, from what I understand, plays very well. But the only SNK series I've ever really liked was SS, and there hasn't been a god game in that series since 2006, with Sen trying to be a Soul Calibur ripoff. lol But according to everyone who played it at combo breaker, it looked great. See the auction tournament above in an older post.

2019-06-13 00:50:04

Alright. Won’t cancel my preorder then. Thanks, man.

2019-06-13 00:54:19

Well, don't take my word on it. lol If your instincts are telling you to cancel it, you should get your money back and wait. But this is probably the fighting game I've been looking forward to most this year, so I'm willing to tough it out. lol

2019-06-15 13:13:28

I have news!
I was able to grab the demo on xbox one, and it's not actually that hard to do at all. Hong Kong store did the trick. Change location and keep the rest at English to keep Narrator. The rest should be fairly easy if you know where to find demos, and you might even be able to search.
Here are some of my findings, although keep in mind, this is going to be rough because I haven't really had the chance to get sighted help or anything, this was more of a test run. I still have some time left but probably not that much out of my 2 hours, perhaps I have between 30 and 50 minutes left.
There are a few dialogues before you get to the main menu. Amusingly, the one with the privacy policy I only learned about when Microsoft Edge opened, so for that one you just tap up twice and then press a to accept.
Once in the main menu with music, for the first time there's a dialogue that lets you go up and down but I just tapped a to dismiss it, and then you end up in a left right menu. The thing to note is that a lot of this menu is voiced when you press a on the initial options, and this includes initial submenus, in the demo you'e got practice, battle and options, and in practice you've got training which is your practice mode, and tutorial which might be called dojo here, I'm not too sure, and in battle you've got vs. If you click an option that's not available you get a dialogue that you can just dismiss. The voice is in Japanese but he's sort of saying it in English as well. Then, today I discovered something even cooler, this left/right menu does not wrap at all, including submenus. Any up/down menu will wrap.
To get to audio options, go all the way to the left to find, well, options.
Then once in that menu, go all the way to the left but this time, tap right once. You should be in the sound options.
I only know the first two options. The first one seems to be the equivalent of a master volume, so that will turn down absolutely everything. The option below that is music. It's a slow process to turn it down, slower than KI but it's also perfectly fine, very good for fine tuning. When you're done, press b, then tap up twice and press a. You might be able to do this by tapping down once and pressing a. Pressing a, without doing this, will take you back to the sound options and plunk you somewhere I don't remember where, maybe on the last option you adjusted, maybe on master volume, I can not remember. From the b menu, Pressing up once, and a, will not save your changes and I think just take you back to the main left/right options menu without saving.
Entering vs mode is a little odd. You find battle, go to vs, and then, if you want to play against cpu, you have to get your other controller (p2), tap right on it, and press a. Then use the controller that you would normally use to play. If you just tap a without doing this, you get into a two-player vs battle. I don't know why they couldn't use one of those dialogues where you tap left for player one and right for player two, and have the center option be for both, but there it is. It's a bit odd.
What do I think?
I can seriously, seriously highly recommend this especially for those new to fighting games believe it or not. There's footsteps, you can hear when people are running in, you can hear when people jump, and what makes this game so great for beginners is the slower pace. You've got quarter circle motions and dragon punch motions but you've not really got combos or anything like that, when Assault said it was slow, he really did mean that. Seriously, this is as methodicle as it gets.
I was quite excited before. I am now over the edge excited. Everyone needs to play this game at the very least once, with the music turned down a bit so you can hear the footsteps. Rolling also has a sound. I genuinely can't believe I'm saying this, but I can safely say that we're on to a winner here, depending, of course, on how easy it is to go into an online match, which you can not test in the beta.
I rate this demo four out of five samurai swords.

2019-06-15 17:20:31

Wow. Thanks for all this extremely amazing info. VOiced menus? Wow. I didn't expected that. I'll consider getting the game...

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-06-15 17:48:28

Cool Aaron! Thanks! Keep in mind you can play the demo as many times as you like, but every time you start it you only get two hours... so it's not a one off. Interesting observations about the menus, hope they stay that way...and this is definitely as slow as it gets compared to the other fighting games that are popular on this forum. Let us know if you get anything interesting with OCR if you try again. Do you have the controls, at least in the demo? They will most likely stay the same I'm thinking. Wish it was this easy to change regions on the ps4...

2019-06-15 18:45:57

@Assault wait, really so if you use your two hour limit the first time then quit, you can start again? This is actually the first I've heard of this, and is good to know if this is true. Regarding OCR, I actually don't have access to OCR as I do not have a win 10 pc, only win 7 and win 8.1, but I'm wondering could I use an iOS or android app?
Also, regarding voiced menus, think of it as the mk character selection screen style, so it is voiced when you press a on an option. Once you reach a few layers deep the voicing stops though, so if you enter sound options for instance, you won't get a voiced menu there.
Regarding controls, I do not have a move list I can't find one online, so I have not been able to do the really cinematic supers and such, and I actually don't know all of the controls, but I do know:
xbox, ps4
x, square: light attack
y, triangle: medium attack
b, circle: heavy attack
a, x: kick.
I have not learned what the bumpers and triggers do or the r1 and r2 etc, but I know they do stuff. To block, hold back, or back and down.