2019-05-27 03:51:45

Hi
I think it will be really cool if there a thumbs down to posts. Then the user carma would be useful. What do you think

2019-05-27 03:58:05

There was thumbs down, but then the mods decided that thumbing people is for fun so they removed it.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-05-27 04:01:10

Then the user carma is useless now IMHO

2019-05-27 08:20:42

I would give a thumbs down to this suggestion if I could.

In all seriousness, if a system like that were to be implemented, I'd rather see the karma go altogether. Having a thumbs down system would make it a popularity contest, which is exactly what this site doesn't need. Giving thumbs up to posts is a deliberate action, at least it is for me. I mean, yeah, you're more likely to give your friends a thumbs up if you operate like that, but negative karma would breed a shitload of negative energy. No thanks.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-05-27 12:05:46 (edited by flackers 2019-05-27 20:00:53)

I like the idea of thumbs down in theory, but it just gets misused. Going off youtube back when it had a thumbs down option, it encouraged trolling. There was a minority of people who were more interested in getting thumbs down than up. And you don't have to say anything bannable to manage it. Just deliberately saying ignorant and stupid things is enough. And the other negative aspect is pettiness. You will get people thumbing down anythihng said by anyone they don't like. There was a thumbs down on the amazon forums. In the science fiction forum, there was a  user who was into outlandish theories, pseudo science, conspiracies etc. Everything she posted got thumbed down by the same dozen or so people. Even when she posted a perfectly helpful response to a question about a particular book/author or whatever, it would get thumbed down.

2019-05-27 15:19:07

I believe this was the reason that Richard and Sendermen removed it, this was way back before I was even on the staff team, they said it was causing some negativity.

2019-05-27 18:18:07

well one person can thums down a guy a lot of time so not fare.

Yours kindly

2019-05-27 19:15:53

To be fair... I think this is the only site I've been on where you can thumbs up but not down. Everywhere else I've ever been, if it has an upvote will have a downvote too.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-05-27 19:47:28

Here's the thing: I agree with the consensus. A thumbs-down is not needed. And with the atmosphere in this forum lately, I know precisely what'd happen. I can see it now.

No. I think having the ability to like or thumbs-up a particular post is good, but if you don't have anything nice to say in that regard, then don't say it at all. You can, after all, easily make a post explaining what you don't like, if you think that's necessary.

But let's be honest. User karma is pretty useless.

But it would be pretty useless even if there was a thumbs-down option.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-05-28 00:25:50 (edited by Dark 2019-05-28 00:27:51)

Just to clarify a little here.
The Karma system was introduced in 2010 by Richard and Sander when the board was upgraded.
What happened however, is that negative Karma was more common than positive Karma. Within a few days,  most people were at minus levels of karma, one person even at minus 200 or so, whilst the person with the actual highest karma was on about five!

I don't know why, but the karma system seemed to bring out the worst in people, so  after a comparatively short time the  hole thing was disabled entirely.

When I became Admin in 2012, I really liked the idea of the Karma system for a positive thing, just as a way for people to say "hay! I liked that post", or "wow that was some helpful advice!"

The Core exiles forum has a very similar system, only there its called "give a gift", and its as I said, a nice way for people to show and receive appreciation.

So, when I saw it was possible in the admin settings  to allow the Karma system but specifically turn off the "thumbs down" button, that was what I did.

I personally would not be in favour of bringing the thumbs down back, since  if it brought out the worst in people in 2010, goodness knows what would happen now given that the atmosphere on the forum, and indeed the internet generally is over all far more negative, I wonder if anyone would have any positive karma left at all. Plus of course, it would make it far harder for thumbs ups to actually mean anything either, since if some troll is going through thumbing down every post of someone she/he doesn't like, how will that person actually gather they've received a thumbs up, or how will that thumbs up mean anything when set against several hundred thumbs downs.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-28 05:12:30 (edited by jsymes 2019-05-28 05:50:36)

I've been bringing myself up to speed on the happenings in the last ages of my near inactivity in the forums, except the occasional question or quick thanks I might dash in then dash back out to make. While I personally wouldn't mind thumb's down coming back, I entirely agree with #5 and #10 that it would be abused by many, and thus most certainly should not be done. It would be a different story if civility reigned once again, since it would eliminate that most of annoying one-word post in any thread, "AGREE!!!" and nothing else. tongue Sadly, I've been seeing this all over, Facebook, Twitter, etc., so AG's hardly anything surprising to me.

AKA president731

2019-05-28 08:27:36

10 is completely right

Yours kindly