2019-05-20 10:41:59 (edited by frastlin 2019-05-20 10:42:31)

Hello,
How does one play Audio Quake on a Windows 10 64 bit machine?
I downloaded the dropbox folder that is on the Audio Games DB page, but there are 43 files in this folder with no readme.
I unzipped the AudioQuake-0.3.0_win32-binary and there is no "audioQuake.exe". The best is a .pl file that is named start.
I also downloaded the installer from the Audio Games Archive along with the Quake Installer.
Now I have run both the above installers and still don't see anything that says "audio quake.exe" I tried running quake directly and get the error that my platform is not supported.
(Note that running the above installers meant I needed to uncheck the soundpack and quake checkboxes because the URLs are dead in the installer).

I'm a little at a loss on how to run this game. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2019-05-20 23:01:54

there i any audioquake on github but I am not sure where it is.
I remember that andre lous had audioquake with overkill and jidi mod, but it propably doesnt exists

2019-05-20 23:27:59

I would also like to play it

2019-05-20 23:29:37

http://3.onj.me/programs/PortableAudioQuake20110514.exe

http://3.onj.me/programs/PortableAudioQuakeReadme.txt

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-05-21 12:30:49 (edited by frastlin 2019-05-21 12:31:48)

Thank you! I got it running! OK, so when I press s to start Quake, I am put in the middle of a battle with no kind of instruction or speech. Do you know if there are tutorial levels? I see there are some demos, but I don't know if those are the same as tutorials. The manual is not as good in Audio Quake as say the Sound RTS manual, so I'm not clear what I'm supposed to do.

2019-05-21 13:59:48

what is that game

2019-05-21 15:46:17

@5, there are demo maps, press grave accent and type onjdemo1 or something like that. I don't know what they do.

I've been going by Bryn, which is now reflected in my profile. Please do your best to respect this :) Mess ups are totally OK though, I don't mind and totally understand!
Follow on twitter! @ItsBrynify
Thanks, enjoy, thumbs up, share, like, hate, exist, do what ya do,
my website: brynify.me

2019-05-21 23:23:31

@6
Quake is a First Person Shooter by id software created in 1996. It's the successor to Classical Doom, and was the first fully 3D FPS.

@5
Digging abit into that Portable Audio Quake it seems to behave rather... odd, compared to traditional quake. When hitting S it seems to auto dump you into a multiplayer deathmatch server, which in itself is pretty interesting, but not so great if you want singleplayer. Console map shift commands also don't quite seem to do it, but I think you can brute force the offline singleplayer by pulling up the singleplayer menu in the console.

You can find a list of the console commands [here], though zquake might behave a bit differently for some of them. If you want to play the singleplayer campaign, open the console, the hotkey is typically the Tilde key, then type "menu_singleplayer", and hit enter. This drops you into the difficulty selection area, from here you can choose the difficulty by picking left easy path, middle, or right hard path, then one of the 4 campaigns by walking into a teleporter.

Alternatively you can use the map warp commands in the console, such as "map e1m1", "E" meaning episode, and "M" meaning mission, there being 4 episodes. Changing the map without hitting into singleplayer still seemed to lock into a multiplayer server though. Ah, one more thing, saving and loading through the console seemed to cause problems when loading a saved game. You can open the singleplayer menu again with "menu_singleplayer", this menu has 3 options, New Game, Load, and Save, so you can select save and just hit enter to save in that slot, same with load.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-05-22 04:41:03

Does this game still work on multyplayer servers i van't play it with my friends

2019-05-22 10:03:31

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you exit the game? I could not seem to close the Quake window. I closed the accessible Quake window, but neither escape or alt+f4 close the Quake window.

2019-05-22 10:17:31

@9
I'm not sure about the multiplayer. The readme masonian posted has some server details, but if your looking to start a custom server, check the user-manual directory in the audioquake folder, chapters 14, 15, and 16.

@10
Type "quit" in the console. Typing "start" in the console also seems to provide some basic help and quick commands, such as typing "sp" in the console to start a single player game, or various bot driven games.

2019-05-22 16:47:43

Single player can be brute-forced by going into the console and typing map <mapname>. e.g.: map 4-level. That might also bring up some client related error messages. Yes, audio quake will perform oddly to the original quake; this is because I don't think it was (necessarily intended) for offline play. You can also remove the auto-connection feature by going into the id1 directory and opening autoexec.cfg. Look for a line that looks something like
connect <server>
Remove it, or put // in front of it.
After you re-launch audio quake, you'll be dropped strait into a console. Here you can either connect to another server via the connect command, force offline play or mess with the client in other ways.
As for hosting online servers, this can be done through wine (unlike most servers, this actually works without any special setups). Open ports 27500 and 27501 in your firewall, type wine zqds.exe (run that with screen so you can hit control+a, control+d to detatch and keep i runing in the background) and play away. (Linux only setup, just saying.) For windows its even easier: open ports 27500 and 27501 in your firewall or forward them, run zqds.exe, and play.
Note: before you create a server, open id1/server.cfg and modify it. Then run the server as needed.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-22 20:37:58

Hi.
Regarding to single player if you are using andre's pack you can have troubles playing this, because you can not check your compas direction and your cordinates and you can be lost.
I have tried playing this a few years ago, so I had no luck in the first map.
I see that these maps are a bit tricky for us.
I want to beat single player but for me it is in possible.
Maybe it will be possible if I will use some codes for example to walk throught the walls, but I hate playing games by using codes if I dont have to do this.
You should remember an important think, andre's configuration of audioquake contains a shareware version with mindgrid audio, so it means, that you can play a first episode.
I am not ssure how many maps this eposode has.
Shareware version contains also another restrictions in dead match mode and propably coop modes are locked.
I heared that if you want to play with clean quake you need to download audioquake and mindgrid audio and install origan files from quake's cd.
Also if you havea portable version of origianal quake you need to copy a files from origan quake to it1 catalog of audioquake.
I dont know that you can download some where mind audio files.
I know that sebby is here in this forum, he is one of the developer so maybe he has these files, but if you want to use andre's configuration single mode is broken because accessibility keys wont work in single mode.

2019-05-22 22:42:10

When you say "console" are you meaning something when the ZQuake window is focused, or the command prompt console that talks where you press "s" to start the game? I tried pressing "~" and "`" in both windows. For the Audio Quake window, it says that is not one of the commands. For the ZQuake window, I don't hear any speech feedback at all.
Note that when I press "s" and hit enter in the Audio Quake console window, the ZQuake window opens, then the Audio Quake console says that I need to press one of the options, O, s, m, x.... like it said before I pressed "s".

2019-05-22 23:58:27

It should be when the zquake window is focused. When pressing "s" in the audioquake window it should load and focuses the zquake window, and when pressing tilde in the zquake window it should say "entering console" or "exiting console".

2019-05-23 03:27:24 (edited by Ethin 2019-05-23 03:28:03)

OK, now I'm encountering a similar issue: I can niether run my copy of audio quake or the portable audio quake properly. I launch the start audioquake.bat file, hit s, and it immediately throws me back into the main menu, despite the fact that a ZQuake instance launches properly. What exactly fixes this, and what causes it? (Running it in compat mode doesn't work.)

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-23 12:33:29

This is exactly what is happening to me. Here is what is on my console and what the speech reads:

AudioQuake Launcher Main Menu.
Shareware version with mindgrid audio.
Please choose an option by typing its letter and pressing ENTER.
O, Review and adjust accessibility options.
K, List and edit your current keybindings.
S, Start Quake.
M, Play an AudioQuake MOD.
R, Graphics Rendering Options.
X, Exit the launcher.
What is your choice?
s
Welcome to Quake.
AudioQuake Launcher Main Menu.
Shareware version with mindgrid audio.
Please choose an option by typing its letter and pressing ENTER.
O, Review and adjust accessibility options.
K, List and edit your current keybindings.
S, Start Quake.
M, Play an AudioQuake MOD.
R, Graphics Rendering Options.
X, Exit the launcher.
What is your choice?

So even after pressing s, it just repeats. There is no speech on the Quake Window. I tried:
1. Running in administrator
2. Removing spaces in the directory
3. Quitting NVDA
4. Downloading the latest version of perl 64 bit and running the scripts with that perl version.

Note that key commands are being passed to ZQuake as I can type ~quit and exit out of the application, but there is no speech feedback.
I'm not seeing any error logs either.

2019-05-24 04:54:38

Just had a chance to test it on a Win10 machine, seems like the zquake window is opening and has focus, commands enter properly in the console, but that the audioquake window isn't logging any of the console or key inputs for tts output. Not sure whats up with that, though you can still start a singleplayer game. I've also found that adjusting the accessibility options and enabling things like the Nav Helper options works with single player for beacons and proximity tones.

2019-05-24 22:42:50

OK, guys, the issue with AQ has been resolved. In your AQ distribution, configure perl.exe and zquake-vidnull.exe to run in compatibility mode with windows 7 support or earlier. (Even windows 8 doesn't work, which is a surprise since Windows 8 worked previously...)

My Github

2019-05-25 11:17:59

This doesn't seem to work for me. I did both XP and Windows 7 for both, and went through the compatibility assistant Windows put up and tested about 10 different settings that were suggested and it still didn't work.
ag_say.exe
Is the file that Windows flags as being a problem file, but even changing that to run in compatibility mode under windows 7 doesn't work.
What should be said when I press S and hit enter? If I know, then I will be able to figure out if it worked.

2019-05-26 00:26:03

It should say "Welcome to Quake",  followed by "Connecting to AndreLouis.COM", etc. Whats weird is that I just ran it on another Win10 machine and it worked perfectly fine right out of the box, no compatibility settings or anything. So, maybe it has to do with a particular version of windows 10, or some required dependancies?

2019-05-26 00:44:32

I dunno, but you need to set perl.exe, minimum, to run on windows 7 or older.

My Github

2019-05-26 03:30:38

Did a teardown on 3 system specs so far, one was a Win10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763), another a Win10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763), both had various C++ Redistributables installed, both failed to run audioquake properly. Adding compatibility also didn't seem to work.

The other system was Win10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134), and worked perfectly without any compatibility settings. According to the various version names, that would be 1803 Redstone 4 update, with the other two being 1809 Redstone 5.

2019-06-01 01:10:38

Greetings to all. I am also having an issue of my own getting speech to work whilst in the game itself. The speech however does work while in the main screen where you have the option to either start, render graphics, change key bindings, etc but in the ZQuake window, I have no speech feedback, and I cannot use the cumpass, or any of the other key bindings. If someone could give me somewhat of a walkthrough of how the game is played that would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

2019-06-12 00:16:58

Isn't their a Star Wars mod for this game? If so, where an I get that? Thanks.