2019-05-20 21:27:13

Hi guys. As the subject says, I would like to tell you about a re-occurring nightmare that I have been having for years.  I have been afraid of car crashes since I was six years old. Luckily, I was never involved in a car crash. Basically, the nightmare starts like this. I’m going on a trip with some friends or family. I’m either going on a bus, a car or a plane.  The problem is, I know that I am in danger. I know the vehicle is going to crash and I need to figure out a way to survive. I will be walking around the vehicle as it’s moving trying to find a seat that I know will keep me the safest. If I find a seat that is behind another, I wouldn’t get thrown around as much, but I could break my neck if I hit my head on the other seat. If I find a seat that is alone, I could be thrown from that seat into someone else. I then have to try and make sure that I can get into a safe position before the crash. I am waiting  for the inevitable, all the while feeling afraid and not knowing when the actual crash will happen. My family doesn’t seem to know about the crash and they don’t believe me when I tell them. I then start to panic and I wake up just before the crash.  If I am in a plane, I know that I will be safer in the back. If I am in a bus, I know that I'm safe at the back of the bus

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-05-20 21:40:27

Well I'm not sure, maybe talk to a psychologist? Obviously you have had this fear for a long time. You may have this phobia for the rest of your life, but maybe try meditation before you go to sleep to calm your mind.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-05-20 22:08:18

Just out of curiosity, do you think that it might be connected to you never having been in a crash?  Could it be that, subconsciously you keep telling yourself that the longer you're alive and the more days that go by without you being in one, the more likely you are to be in one?
I've been in a crash; at least one that I know of or can even remember.  I was bruised; I sustained no burns, I had nothing broken, and I certainly didn't die, obviously.  Not all crashes are fatal; not all crashes are even note-worthy, for that matter.  It doesn't pay to bellyache about the ones that get mentioned on the news or the ones you see when you're stuck in a traffic jam.  You can absolutely learn from them, and you should, but do not stress.
Sometimes you get rear-ended and that gives you a bit of a jolt; sometimes your car is the one doing the rear-ending either because of the driver in front, your driver's faulty judgment or a combination of both.  If you're honestly wondering if there's things you can do, there certainly is.  Remember to always wear a seatbelt, do not have someone driving you who might be impaired by any substance, avoid having someone drive you who takes their mobile devices too seriously and would rather pay attention to them rather than where they're going, and ensure they're always up to date on speed limits, places where their might be traffic jams owing to road construction, weather and other safety hazards.  Drug influence, speeding and distracted driving are the three leading causes of car crashes in the United States.  The fact is that, when you're in a car, it really is the responsibility of the person driving it to keep you safe.  If they have some sort of license to drive as is necessary here in the states, they should already know that.
I sincerely hope some of this helps you out, and if you have any further questions feel free to continue submitting them.

When life gives you oranges, demand lemons since everyone else is obviously getting them.

2019-05-20 22:35:04

I think you will continue to have this nightmare until you discover the root cause of it. That does involve seeing someone professionally about it though. I don't think the crash itself represents the fear or phobia that you have, but it's a channel for your unconscious mind to express something that could be understood by your 6 year old brain. What I'd do is start trying to draw parallels. Like, what elements of driving, or being driven since you yourself cannot drive might stress you. Is it that a car or bus or any other vehicle is a closed environment, and you don't like that? Is it that you have to give over control, and have to deal with the fact that you are not in control of the situation while someone else is driving? Is it that driving or flying or whatever takes you far from your home, and you don't like that? Does it have anything to do with excessive speeds maybe? Anyway, I think you get the idea, start trying to find what about driving, or what about crashing is bothering you in your actual life. Perhaps it is a fear of serious injury, or a lack of confidence you'll be able to act quickly when needed.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-20 22:57:35

I have a similar problem. In my case, the nightmare is that I die either in a fire or explosion. The thing is, these nightmares have only started over the past year or so, and I've never been in a situation where I was in a burning building, or saw something exploding, so I have no idea what could have triggered it. I wouldn't say I have a fear of fire in my everyday life either, there are certain things I'm very consciously afraid of, but that isn't one of them. The way the dream usually plays out is that I'm doing something ordinary, just going about my business, and I happen to either look out a window, or be near a vehicle and see this wall of flames racing towards me. I'm helpless to do anything about it, I know that my death is imminent, and then I wake up. There have been a couple of times where I've heard actual explosions in the dream and then woke up too.

Interestingly, I've also had a fear of car crashes since I was little, although mine is different because I always feared that someone I love will get into an accident. When I was little, and my parents were at work, my grandparents would watch my sister and I. If one of my parents was late, even 10 minutes late, I would become inconsolable until they finally arrived, although I couldn't articulate why. No matter how much my grandparents tried to reassure me that nothing would happen to them and that they were just running late, nothing would comfort me. While this anxiety has lessened considerably over the years, I still catch myself feeling this impending sense of dread whenever someone is later than they said they'd be, although I don't usually start worrying these days unless it's like an hour or more. If someone I love is taking a long trip, and they don't text or call to let me know they arrived safely, I hate that, and get very angry at them, although I don't think I've ever explained this to anyone now that I'm an adult, because I know it's silly. Like you, I've never been in an accident, nor has anyone close to me been in a serious one, not accidents that caused injuries, anyway. I don't know how or why it all started.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-05-21 06:17:11

Hi. Thanks so much for the replies. Yes Iron Cross, you are correct. I have a fear of serious injury. My mother was struck by a car when I was six years old. I remember that quite vividly. Some idiot was driving while he was talking on his cell phone. Luckily I wasn’t with her. By the way, it only happens on weekends or when I am not at school or busy for some reason.

2019-05-21 14:21:03

It seems to happen allmost every weekend.

2019-05-21 17:10:05

Also, Turtle Power 17, I also get nervous if a loved one is running late for any particular reason. Also,  my dream does not include vehicles that are used for normal transportation. For example, I could be on a rollercoaster. I actually had that particular dream recently. Same concept. I know the rollercoaster is going to crash.

2019-05-21 17:35:49

Something similar happens to me some times.
From when I was 4 or 5, I have a fear about something folowing me and trying to catch me.
I do not know why, this happens in nightmares just after I am doing something ordinary and I just feel something doing things behind me, so I just start to run, never feeling my feet on the ground again untill I wake up, mostly in another position than the one I remember falling asleep, usualy with the head where the feet should go.
And that is not the big problem, some times, mostly when it is dark, I am outside and alone, I just feel the need to run straight into my bed.
That mostly stoped recently, but I remember that happening when I was younger, even when I was inside.
I do not know why though, I have nothing against dark places, most of the time I love my room darker, just when I have to be outside at the country this starts again.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-05-21 17:53:57

Our dreams usually succumb to our emotions and the subconscious.
For example, you may know consciously that you've never been in a car crash, but maybe you were in one when you were very little and you don't remember it. Or, maybe you read something about car crashes, or watched a movie that had significant impact.
Like with me, I frequently have nightmares about being admitted to the hospital because I was going to have ear surgery so they can put a cochlear implant. I don't have a cochlear implant, but I do have severe hearing loss. I remember being slightly afraid of cochlear implants when I first heard about them back in seventh grade, so I don't know if that is the reason.
In this last episode, I was just being anaesthetised when I jumped up and told them to check the informed consent forms again because I didn't remember signing anything. That is when they stopped and I woke up.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-05-21 21:53:17

Okay. I’m going to go to sleep now, let’s see what happens. I’ll update you all in the morning. Good night.

2019-05-22 06:28:53

Okay so it’s morning. Nothing happened, Although I vaguely remember a nightmare starting and then stopping within a few seconds. It wasn’t the one I described.

2019-05-22 11:07:50

Hello,
I'm no psychiatrist, but here's my understanding for all that it is worth.
Dreams are controlled, largely, by the mind.
To that end, if you walk around a car, knowing it wil crash, then your mind will make it crash. It's like saying, "I will knock over this drink." and then moving your hand and knocking it over. same concept.
In that way, I have found argument is a great way to distract myself.
"This car will crash."
Why will it crash?
Because I say so?
Great! well before it crashes, I say it will crash outside a mcdonalds, just after I've bought, and eaten, my cheeseburger, and woken up because I'm hungry.

Sure, it doesn't work all the time, but once you realise your dreams are controled by you, it helps, a lot.

The fear of being chased is quite a common dream, and usually indicates you feel you are running away from something in your real life.

It may also help to analyse your dreams in segments.
You're being chased by a creature who is unseen, but feels, at least, like he has taken your family away from you.

Translation: you are running away from either family obligations, or you feel your family is running away from you.

these are just a few ways to understand dreams, and there are many websites and trained psychiatrists who can do a far better job than I can.

HTH

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-05-22 13:21:18 (edited by sid512 2019-05-22 13:24:36)

Hi,
I'd say if  one jumps on a bit skeptical side, some nightmares might as just be part premonitions warning about an inevitable event or just as a caution. I have often encountered people in nightmares who I had no idea about at the time, but were nevertheless encountered in real life months or years later. Sometimes, the subconscious might go ahead and send out alarm bells about something which is going to occur on a future ocasion. although certain psychologists may disagree, but a large number of people had often talked about such nightmares. Fictional though it is, Bran Stark's continuous nightmares about the three-eyed raven in game of thrones proved to be true afterall, along with hodor, "hodor, hold the door". if we suppose that his character got struck by a nightmare detailing the inevitable bound to occur years later, the impact should be extreme enough to cause him to lose his composure. Also, if we look at leviathan chronicles and we're alive and any other series, the same has been shown quite a few times. Be that as it may further add to the fear and the likes, I wouldn't eliminate the possibility of an actual car crash bound for months or years later in the future, specially if you are aware about the disaster in your nightmare beforehand when no one else is. You might also try to gather as much background information as you can about the speciffics of the car crash when it is bound to occur during the nightmare, as a start. besides, forcing the nightmare shut by external means or medication can be an unpleasant idea. anyways, hope that helps and keep us informed. big_smile

He picked up the wrench and broke the guy’s wrist with it, one, and then the other wrist, two, and turned back and did the same to the guy who had held the hammer, three, four. The two men were somebody’s weapons, consciously deployed, and no soldier left an enemy’s abandoned ordnance on the field in working order.

2019-05-22 13:32:29

I once had a lucid dream where I was in a plane that was doomed to crash. But, somehow, without even thinking about it, I wished myself to disappear, and then I immediately found myself teleported to some commons area where people were milling around. So, I somehow used this technique to divert what could've been really scary.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy

2019-05-22 23:43:46 (edited by techmaster20 2019-05-22 23:44:29)

Well, on a slightly unrelated note, it is statistically proven that blind people will have 4 times as many nightmares as those with sight,, especially between the ages of 5 and 16. Funny enough I knlow I used to have shit tons of nightmares when I was a kid, like several a week, then it became a once a month kind of thing when I got a little older. I'm 20 now and don't remember having had any nightmares in a long time.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2019-05-23 01:07:47

That's really interesting, I've never heard that statistic before. What makes blind children more prone to nightmares?

As for dream interpretation, I have a healthy dose of skepticism about it myself. Freud saw dicks everywhere he turned, the only place he never bothered to look was in the mirror, at least it seems that way to me. In other words, many of his theories have been debunked, so dream interpretation is something I approach with a lot of trepidation. On the other hand, maybe the reason it unsettles me so much is because there are things that made logical sense to me after dreaming about them, but I don't want to derail the topic so I won't go into that.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-05-23 18:33:06

I was thinking and that thing who goes after me did not take my family away, it just wants me.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-05-23 19:01:32

I have a feer of fire, so i often have a nightmerror about fire. To be fair, mine stems from having burned my hand on the stove, on a firestarter when trying to light a camp fire, etc.

2019-05-23 19:16:38

It's said that because they can't see the wirld around them they have many more fears of things they haven't seen. I don't know though. I found the statistic while researching nightmares and the blind... so yeah,  it could be made up.

Power is not the responsibility of freedom, but it is actually the responsibility of being responsible, it's self, because someone who is irresponsible is enslaved by their own weaknesses.

2019-05-23 21:41:01

I'm going to look into it all the same, that's fascinating. Unfortunately, a lot of statistics about blindness tend to be skewed, most likely due to lack of subjects and/or inadequate study methods. That's certainly not limited to blindness, of course, but whenever you try to collect data about any subset of the population, you're going to run into problems actually making those theories stick.

2019-05-24 17:27:09

Okay, so it’s Friday night. As I said earlier, I normally get these during the weekend when my brain isn’t so busy. I will see what happens tonight when I go to sleep. I will report back in the morning.

2019-05-26 09:26:00

Hi guys. So I’ve been sleeping for the past two nights and while I can’t remember my dreams, I know they weren’t good. I’ve been extremely restless while sleeping. I have been very nervous during my dreams and I can remember wondering what will come next. I think I might of had the nightmare described in this topic last night, although I can’t remember it. What should I do? What do you guys think this is?  I also accidentally had a very vivid lucid dream about the rollercoaster accident. I could even feel the pain. LOL.

2019-06-01 23:28:42

It’s been awhile since I’ve posted. It doesn’t really occur as much as it used to, but when it does it is a lot worse. I am about to go to sleep so I’ll see what happens.

2019-06-03 17:05:12

Hi guys
Yes the nightmare of being chased is one of the most common. A lot of people end up in those nightmares waking up before that thing chasing them does catch them (including me). But I wonder, what if this thing did catch you? What will happen? What will the brain generate at that moment? Did that happen with someone and they explain it? Speaking from a psychological prospective, really I wonder.

Kind regards!

Add me on battle.net and let's have fun, region is Europe, my BattleTag is: Hajjar#21470
By reading my post, you agree to my terms and conditions :P