2019-05-20 05:20:50

hi there I have a question for you learning these major or related major / minor
Thailand it has lag opportunity for blind people who interested about computer when learning university
myself i'm unsure what major that I applied which one is I get until result announce on 29 may th 2019
I choose major science and technology minor computer science and minor information technology
one thing that university can refuse us is "hey I don't know how to teach you"
"this major don't have any facility for you when learning so I have rights to refuse you from learning
that a case I've been encounter and painful of round 3 in this month already
about web design major of ict
so I will fight again in round 4 and want some advise from you guys
I found 1 plobblem when learning these minor there is subject call human design in information technology
and graphic design for computer science
so if you have learn some kind of subject I mension in university
I need some recommend to solving the case if university I go to interview is weird um... you know what I mean
so thanks for your help guys and feel free to ask any question if you have them in your mind

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.
everyone can collect in everyday.
:d

2019-05-20 14:45:55 (edited by Munawar 2019-05-20 14:50:41)

You'll get much better services in a first-world country than you will in Thailand. They don't have the same laws with respect to disabilities and equal-opportunity education that we do here.

I would suggest to find out if you can study abroad (preferably in US since the services here far outpace those of the UK.)

If they will fund you to study abroad, you can get a lot of material in Braille like I did.

If they will not fund you to study abroad, then Computer Science will definitely be a struggle for you. Much of it is visual because it is a math-heavy subject. So you should have some way to process the information.

You might consider attending a university like Mahidol which turned up in a quick Google search. They offer Braille services and have a fully equipped disability department.

2019-05-21 04:41:42

@munawar
thanks for recommend me mahidol is a place in my mind too
but speaking of requirement each round round 1 portfolio they accept science math and art math same as round 5 it is final round of apply university
other round they only accept science math unfortunately I learn art math so if round 4 piss me of round 5 is my consider as mahidol
because they like some abroad country give full access and facility for visually impaired
speaking of govverment some of you might know already about election in Thailand and political them self
I don't provide information it will become risk on myself googling it you will see tons of news
so need country funding for us it hopeless and in the hole...
munawar if you don't mind so could you tell me what kind of service and equipment you got when learning from u.s. so maybe I can find other way to deal with
and all of you who read this topic can come and give your opinion as well

the bestest reward for people who are working so hard they should receive their experience of their own life.

2019-05-21 06:03:40

There's a variety of resources scattered about that may be of use, a few options include:

-3D Pens like the [3Doodler Start], which is 50$ US and certified accessible by the RNIB. It has accessible audio instructions [here], with braille instructons upon request. These can be very useful in a classroom setting to demonstrate things like discrete graphs and other concepts.

-3D printers, some universities have written software for 3D printing shapes and visual materials so users can feel them, which like 3D Pens can help when learning some mathematics of visual design concepts, [Trace2SCAD] being one such tool. For direct accessible 3D printer control, you can look into using Pronsole which is a command line interface, with Slic3r for converting models into printer code, both of which are screen reader accessible, though a bit janky.

-Sonifiers like The vOICe or EyeMusic, which convert images into sound. While not perfect due to low resolution and greyscale pallete, sonifiers can be used to visualize displayed imagery on a computer.

-Accessible Visual Drawing software, such as SVGDraw01, TactileView, BrushTone, BlindPaint, and DrawBack, many of which also have braille support. There's also [GSK#] which can be used for handling Graphs in mathematics, though use of pipe cleaners or wikki sticks can work too.

-3D Modelling tools are hard to come by, but some solutions do exist. You can use OpenSCAD which is a script based 3D modelling program that can export STL files, which can also coincidentally be used with 3D printers. You can also use a support program called AudiMesh3D which is designed to load 3D STL models and visualize them as DepthMaps using a built in sonifier, and was designed to be used with OpenSCAD.

-Screen readers like Jaws and NVDA, which it should go without saying can handle Math notation.

There's also some guides for Raspberry Pi's and Arduinos, Soldering Guides for the Blind, and so forth. Most of these are free at little or no cost.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-05-21 06:55:10

@magurp244
give a huge thanks from me awesome I will check all off these resource for sure
unfortunately I don't know this university have 3d printer support like high school that I graduated or not
or they have better than that at high school I find some time it abit odd and have failing their work
I have absolutely sure is they have DSS center that support us
one thing I wonder why these kind of peace software and equipment tool is so expent
since a lot of us may not have same rate of salary I know it take a time to produce and need good chape of material
still everyone can't have a chance to use them unfortunately
also thanks I know some of these you provide are free so I must start of these free stuff first

2019-05-21 07:26:24

Jaws, the 3Doodler Start, and TactileView are the only ones that cost money, well and 3D printers, everything else is free. For convience here's links to all the other resources:

[Pronsole], its a part of the Pronterface and Slic3r comes with it.
[The vOICe]
[EyeMusic]
[SVGDraw01]
[TactileView]
[BlindPaint]
[DrawBack]
[BrushTone]
[OpenSCAD]
[AudiMesh3D]
[Raspberry VI]
[Blind Arduino Blog]
[Smith Kettlewell Blind Soldering Guides], check the bottom of the page for the list of relevant soldering articles.

2019-05-21 15:57:38 (edited by Munawar 2019-05-21 15:59:08)

Sure. I used audio books at first from a service in the West called Learning Ally. This failed ultimately because of the visual nature of many of the Computer Science concepts. So I turned to Braille.

I still have two Braille books remaining: a book on Discrete Structures (upper-level CS math course,) and a Braille book on programming AI which I needed as part of a CS elective course I was taking. The AI book is hardcopy Braille and the Discrete Structures book is E-Braille. Both were produced by the university I attended.

Can you send me a PM with your Email address? Post here once you've done so, so I can check my PM's.

We can arrange to ship the AI book to you and I'll get the E-Braille version of the Discrete Structures book to you once I dig it up.

I'll ship the AI book once you've been accepted into the CS program.

I gave a book I had on Neural Networks also to someone else, but if I can get that one back I can also ship that one to you. All these will cover fundamental CS concepts.

2019-05-21 19:48:24

@ munawar
pm sended thanks a lot I will check pm box once I wake up.

2019-05-22 03:46:19

oh I forgot to say since i'm feel sleepy yesterday
I will post on this 29 may th 2019 what minor I get from announce system
and after interview day I pass it or not thanks again for your massive help

2019-05-22 17:28:09

Ok. Good luck!

2019-05-24 03:56:50

before result announce I would prefer reading some cs book could some of you recommend one or post the link?
view stats from official website that apply each universities that co on this system
this culiculum not the top 10 that people applied
I can sure that will get in cs major so prepare myself is a good choice indeed

2019-05-24 05:24:13

I'm not sure what curriculum your referring too, as different universities may offer different materials. There is a reddit thread [here] that offers a number of resources for "self taught computer scientists", though you could also optionally pick up a book on your language of choice and go from there. I've found Java and C# are typically found in university settings, though it varies. Python is used increasingly in scientific computing for things like genetic sequencing, robotics, machine learning, etc. I've also heard a few good things about Rust, and then theres the usual C or C++. Learning one language though tends to make it easier to learn others because all languages share certain similarities. Typically I recommend Python because its easy to learn, is powerful, has lots of documentation, and a strong community, though opinions may vary.

2019-05-24 14:19:51

Yes, my vote is with Python also for the Computer Science side. There are powerful libraries built for it by Google that simplify genetic algorithms and neural networks. This will be helpful for AI. A library to look into is Tensorflow. I was using this one recently and love it.

As far as low-level Computer Science stuff, C++ is the way to go because you'll deal with fundamentals of memory management and really learn what run-time efficiency is and all that. You'll notice in many C++ function documentations the typical Computer Science notations like run-time complexity being O(something.) So you will be able to familiarize yourself with this notation.

So Python for AI, C++ for CS fundamentals.

2019-05-27 19:12:17

update: today official website announce result no more wait until 29 may th
I got cs program on 1 june st I go to interview on 7 june th I can tell pass or not
it a good start for me anyway

2019-06-01 06:21:11

updated I already pass interview in cs program
now wait until major start teaching yay!