2019-05-21 07:28:09 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-21 07:29:26)

Hi.
ss2 is finally available for download!
https://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/ss2.html
People who want to play, just go ahead. People who are confused at the moment, read the below as much as you want.

Screaming Strike 2!

Version : 2.00
Developed by : Nyanchan
Scoreboard: https://www.nyanchangames.com/scoreboard/score.php

Screaming Strike 2 is the world's funniest audio game ever where you punch various kinds of incoming enemies.
This game was originally a small time-killer released in 2012, but in 2018, it was excibited at Tokyo Game Show (I still can't believe it actually was!), and I decided to completely rewrite it after that.

1: Game features &1
In this game, you punch enemies coming from the three lanes until you die. It has three modes: normal mode where you punch as many enemies as possible with your highest accuracy, arcade mode where you gain higher points by utilizing items, and classic mode for those who like the old-fashioned game system.
The controls are very simple, and it of course supports online scoreboard system. Enjoy compeeting with other players worldwide!

2: Controls &2
Since I've changed my development environment, whole lots of files are scattered in the game folder. In order to run the game, please find and run play.exe.
After running the game, you will be placed on the main menu of the game. You can either use your up/down arrows and enter to choose an option, or press a shortcut key that is spoken at the last of each menu item.
At the top of the menu, version info is displayed. When a new update is found, it will be notified here. If there's an update available, pressing enter here will download the new package or installer to your desired directory. Once you set the download, it is executed in background, so you can play the game without stopping the it.
At the very first play of each mode, a tip is displayed. You can close tips by pressing enter.
Once the game starts, you will hear enemy footsteps coming from your left, center or right. Use your left and right arrows to move to the same position, wait until they get close, then press your spacebar to punch. Please note that in most cases, enemies need to be close to you in order to punch.
Initially, you have 3 HP. If one of the enemies get to the same position as you, you will get slapped and lose 1 hp. If you HP reaches 0, you'll fall over and the game will end.
Once the game ends, you'll be prompted whether you want to post your score to the online scoreboard. Press Y if you want to post, or press N if you don't. Alternatively, you can choose available options using your up and down arrows and the enter key.
When posting your score, you need to type the name which will be used as the player name. Input your preferred name and press enter.

3: Arcade mode &3
In arcade mode, items will fall randomly. If you hear an item falling, move to the same position and launch your punch to obtain it as you would punch enemies. Please note that you can't obtain items that are still far away from you.
You will automatically obtain the punched item, and its effect will immediately start. However, holding down the up arrow and punching the item will destroy it, instead of obtaining it.
There are good items and nasty items. Items that fall faster are more likely to be good, and slower ones are more likely to be nasty. However, each probability won't be 100%.
Continuous item effects normally last for 15 seconds. If you get same items before the previous effect times up, the effects will be duplicated or the previous effect is extended. It's up to the effect type if it's duplicated or extended.
Here is the complete list of item effects.
Good effects:
megaton punch: Enables you to punch distant objects. When obtained continuously, the effect time will be extended.
Boost: Your punches will be faster. When obtained continuously, effects will be duplicated.
Penetration: Your punch penetrates through enemies in range, and you can get points doubled for enemies you punch with this effect. When obtained continuously, the effect time will be extended.
Destruction: Kills all enemies in the field. However, falling items will also be destroyed.
Nasty effects:
Shrink: Your punches will be shorter. When obtained continuously, effects will be duplicated.
Slow down: Your punches will be slower. When obtained continuously, effects will be duplicated.
Blurred: You'll get your position blurred and can't aim at enemies accurately. When obtained continuously, effects will be duplicated.

4: Collection &4
This game is shipped with lots of screams and you can collect them in the game. Enemies you punched 10 times will be unlocked (collected) and you can make unlocked enemies scream anytime from the collection menu which can be accessed from the main menu.
In the collection screen, use your left and right arrows to browse your collections. You can press enter on one of your unlocked collections to make them scream. Pressing your up and down arrows will change the pitch. The pitch shifting range is same as the ingame range. Alternatively, you can press shift+left/right to search for the next / previous unlocked collections.

5: Erasing data &5
The "Erase data" option in the main menu enables you to clear your high score and collection data separately. In order to actually delete the data, you need to hold shift and enter.

6: Options &6
You can change various game settings here. Use your up and down arrows to move through the available settings and left and right arrows to change its value. Currently, there's only one item announcement voice, so pressing left / right arrows there won't change anything. If someone can give me new voice sets, I may be able to make this option actually changable.

7: About the source code &7
This game's source code is available with GPL license here.
https://github.com/yncat/screamingstrike
GPL license allows you to use / modify the source code under following two conditions.
(1) You must keep the original author information in the source code.
(2) You must open source your project with GPL license.
Contributions such as new screams, item announcement voices, translations, code improvements are welcome. Please refer to the repository readme for details.

8: Notes &8
For reporting bugs / suggestions, please use one of the methods guided in the next section.
The developer of this game cannot take any responcibility even if your software / hardware got damaged by using this application.

9: Contacting &9
To contact the developer, please use one of the methods below.
e-mail: [email protected]
Directly post to issue tracking: https://github.com/yncat/screamingstrike/issues

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-05-21 07:35:32

When do you think the Mac version will be released?

2019-05-21 07:36:18

Thanks for the amazing update.
Downloading now.

2019-05-21 07:36:35

Oh, I forgot to add these in readme. Will do in the next version.
For those who contributed to this game by voices and screams, it's finally here! Thank you everyone for helping the game be more funny and addicting!

2019-05-21 08:05:25

Oh lol, my first AG from Nyanchan. Good job man

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-05-21 08:11:07

---------------------------
play.exe - Application Error
The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.
OK   
I wander what does this error means? Please help me. Thank you. smile

Hurt me with the truth, but never comfort me with lies

2019-05-21 08:14:26

Oh, are you using 32bit windows? I think the app is built for 64-bit at the moment...

2019-05-21 08:14:38

Yes! It's finally here! Woohoo! Thanks as always for your hard work.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-05-21 08:17:56

I'm using that. 64bit

Hurt me with the truth, but never comfort me with lies

2019-05-21 08:29:47

Hi.
Nice nice nice. Thank you for this amazing release.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-05-21 08:37:23

Awesome! I'm really enjoying this! Classic is probably my favorite mode.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-05-21 08:40:19

Just for fun...
here's my first arcade game.
As people will see if they listen, accuracy need not apply. lol I also got very... very unlucky at the end.
It's still a fun game though. But one thing I did notice is the volume level seems to have gone up for the enemy footsteps, they're a lot louder now when you get up close. Gonna take a while to get used to. Or maybe it's just my imagination? Since I haven't playeed in a while.

"You know nothing of death... allow me to teach you!" Dreadlich Tamsin
Download the latest version of my Bokura no Daibouken 3 guide here.

2019-05-21 09:06:22 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-21 09:06:53)

@12
I watched you were doing pretty well, performed the most epic megaton boost destruction combo, then, hahahahahahaha, this is the most unlucky situation ever!
As for the volume level, I did not change the volume. However, I did change so that closer enemies made lower pitched footsteps. This is for absorving the difficulty of volume curve, making it easier to identify who is the closest one since the game now measures accuracy and uses it to calculate bonuses. Lower pitched sounds get longer, so you may hear them as they're a little bit louder.

2019-05-21 09:10:51 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-21 09:12:25)

@9
Apparently, the error happens when 32-bit and 64-bit libraries are mixed, but I don't think the conflicting library is inside what I distributed. One possible solution is trying 32-bit building, but I do not have 32-bit environment, so cannot do that at the moment. Maybe someone who uses Python is able to  make a pyinstaller build? Nuitka is hard for setting up, so...

2019-05-21 09:26:23

Make sure that you have the 64-bit version of the vc runtimes installed. BTW. I tend to compile my games in 32-bit so that there's not the issue of any compatibility problems.

Much less active on this forum than in the past.

Check out my live streams: http://lerven.me
follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/liamerven

2019-05-21 09:32:05 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-21 09:32:42)

Maybe I should dust my old computer off and setup the 32-bit environment there. I can't change this computer's setup because everything is configured as 64-bit and I imagine that I can't write my thesis once I start messing around.

2019-05-21 10:38:19

Hey nyanchan,
Nice release out there. I hope the co op mode will be added sometime. Or as i didn't read the latest topic where everyone discussed screaming strike, have you decided not to implement this online/co op mode?

2019-05-21 11:58:32

o my god!. this new version is ausom!. i like it!.

2019-05-21 12:42:59

I wasn't able to define the rules / game systems for co-op. If a solid idea comes out, implementing it is not a problem.

2019-05-21 12:53:39

Hey @nyanchan
Have you tried installing a 32 bit python, then running something like:
c:/python32Bit/scripts/yourcompiler yourfile.py youroptions?

HTH

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-05-21 13:05:07

Oh yay i have the mac version.  Do you think you will post an applevis?

2019-05-21 13:15:31 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-21 13:17:00)

@20
Nuitka (the compiler) uses gcc compiler. I can't change my environment path to point to the 32-bit gcc right now because it breaks my other projects. So, I'll have to separate physically.
@21
I don't know how applevis hosting works. Does it even host the app itself? I don't think so...
Edit: Oh,  posting, not hosting. Whoops. Maybe I can.

2019-05-21 13:41:48

Thanks for an awesome update, I particularly like the screams collection. I admit punching my wife is a bit disturbing, though since I get to punch myself as well I suppose it evens out big_smile.
Mrs. dark will be very pleased to try this one out too I think.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-21 13:45:16

Thanks Dark. Everything is open in this game, so you can remove anyone you don't want to punch and include anyone you do want to punch. lol!

2019-05-21 14:20:04

@nyanchan, co op ideas? well, why not just like a co op where you like it's a usual game, or it could be made like several types of co op, normal co op, arcade co op and so on, and so when one of the players in the co op picks up an item it spreads to other players also, well sorta like that. Just a simple enough co op.