2019-05-13 21:56:12

Hi all,

After reading the post about DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3, I figured I'd put this out here for those who may be interested.
This is a PC version of Mortal Kombat Trilogy from 1996. It was popular on PS1, N64, and the Sega Saturn. I snagged this on a site a year ago. I configured my joystick to work with it, but I don't know what that means for different controllers should you decide to play using one. You can use the keyboard, but it's not fun that way imo. The music is only available if you have the original disk, or if you mount it. Here's the Dropbox link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y24xvsjpikoie1 … l.zip?dl=0
I used to play this 24/7 as a kid, and sought after it for the PC just last year. It's fully functional, but setting it up can be tricky. Hope this will give you some enjoyment. smile

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-05-14 01:08:30

I loved this game when I was eight, and it stil brings me joy today. Adding this to my folder.

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2019-05-14 16:24:04

Well it is nice, we really should have a topic for retro, accessible games and roms for consoles, it seems pretty cool.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-05-14 18:25:15

I used to have the ps1 version, can't find a working rom of it anywhere now though.  To be honest it's far less polished than UMK3, but the extra characters are nice. 
I'm curious how other blind gamers found beating the AI in the older titles like mk2?

2019-05-14 21:48:07

I only ever played the old MK titles for a short period of time when I had a working SNES back in the early 2000's.
The only way I could beat the AI in MK Trilogy for PS1 was to spam it and use one of the bosses. Lol.

2019-05-14 22:41:53

Ai in old mk games are definitely hard and headache inducing, but not impossible.

2019-05-15 05:39:06

I got error that vidio mode not available

2019-05-16 21:42:30

@7, are you using Jaws? Try turning off Jaws and running it that way.

2019-05-17 00:02:42

I got the same error. Using NVDA.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-05-17 00:14:56

Okay. Figured out the issue:

1. Navigate to MKTRILW.EXE

2. Right-click on it and navigate to Properties

3. Shift-tab and use the arrow keys to navigate to compatibility

4. Tab until you reach "run this program in compatibility mode for:," and check that box

5. Tab again and use the combo box to select Windows XP Service-Pack 2

6. Save changes and try running the game again

2019-05-17 00:58:10

Hi.
This is incredible! MKT and I have history and not a very good one. I discovered it when I was seven or eight and rented it from a video store. At the time I didn't know what the game was about. My brother showed me how to play it, the sounds of the characters screaming especially when they ran was so gruesome I got physically ill. Also the sound of bones hitting the ground. I was scared of all mortal kombat games for years. Even thinking about the games could get me into a depression. To this day I don't know if it was the violence or the blood and gore that scared me but it sure did. I'll never forget turning on the Nintendo 64 and there would be a pause before the game came on. To me that pause was so terrifying! Another thing that used to scare me was a particular sound the male characters made when they were hit or kicked kind of like this, "owww-aaaahhhh!" There was another gross sound too, I never did figure out what it meant but in trilogy it sounded like a giant stomach growling. Maybe organs falling out? I might never know. If I could see what was happening when that sound happened it might clarify things. I only know that it happens right in the middle of a fight, maybe that's significant in some way?
But a few years ago I conquered my fear by watching videos of MK games and finally playing the seventh one Armageddon. Now I love the games and there stories so much!
That was a long rant I didn't intend to get into. But thank you very much for posting this, I wanted to get a copy for years, but I didn't have a ps1, and had no idea where to get the PC version. I'm so excited to play! And again I'm sorry about the long rant lol!

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.
Aerodyne: first of the wizard order

2019-05-17 01:34:16

Lol, glad you were able to conquer your fear and jump into the MK universe! big_smile
I mean, I can't really blame you...MK did inspire (or cause, really) the need for the rating system... wink
I'm surprised I was allowed to play this as a kid. I had a decent amount of usable vision and watching some of the gameplay like brutalities was just...Wow. What a concept.
My next goal is to get an ISO file of the original disk and use that to get music playing. I was using an optical drive to get music functionality, but my desktop has since bit the dust. Either way, the game is still very much playable!
smile

2019-05-17 02:05:59

That's cool. i had a lot of fun with that game. brutalities were fun. lol
I'm also glad you got over the fear.

A Candle Loses Nothing by Lighting Another Candle…
" GamerTag is. ItsTBlaze & Twitter @TBlaze97
"One Love"

2019-05-17 04:37:08

Have to say I slightly prefer the sound of the n64 version for the stereo combat.

2019-05-17 05:02:47

Is the N64 version in stereo? That might be worth looking into.

2019-05-17 05:13:29

Hi.
No do not do that. The sound quality on the n64 version is awful. If you prefer it that's cool, but I think if you want the real deal fighting sounds and things use the PC version. Just listen to an n64 playthrough on youtube and you'll see what I mean.

Guitarman.
What has been created in the laws of nature holds true in the laws of magic as well. Where there is light, there is darkness,  and where there is life, there is also death.

2019-05-17 07:10:36

Well the n64 sound is the same as the SNES sounds so of course they are not going to have that arcade quality, but at least it's in stereo and gets the job done. Firstly though you need to go to options and turn panning on as it is off by default.

2019-05-17 17:47:41

So I got it to run. So far, I've gotten into fights, but no story.Isthere a way to play the story? And where is the music?

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-05-17 20:46:07

Here's a page that goes through the "secretive" game mechanics:
https://legacy.mortalkombatonline.com/c … games/mkt/

And another for moves/finishers:
https://www.mksecrets.net/index.php?sec … entID=4000

I've heard N64's port of it. Obviously not as good as any of the other ports, but still cool it routes to stereo.
Is this not an option in the PC version?

2019-05-17 20:47:07

Hi.
There is no story in this game it's too old. You just fight, and there maybe some story for characters at the end, but I can't be sure about that. And he already said there is no music for now because you have to have the disk. The story comes in at later games, starting with mk4 I think. Mk4 has ending sequences for each character.

Guitarman.

2019-05-17 20:51:59

There's a small chunk of text that the first page I posted calls "the story." MK Trilogy is nothing more than just paying homage to the first three games of the series (which had no story either). They were simply arcade games.

2019-05-17 20:58:51

Um every mk game has a story, but for the games before 4, it was all through text bios and endings. And yes trilogy was a homage to the first 3 games, but even so I think there r endings.

2019-05-17 22:31:23

I never understood what the point of the text-based stories was. The lure of the newer games (since the PS2 era) was that it had playable story modes. Armageddon's would've been cool to play since it was free-roaming.
The arcade games revolutionized the gaming world in such a drastic way that you really didn't need the story. Being able to rip out somebody's heart was so crazy that it was the only thing people paid attention to. Maybe the story was just icing on the cake for people who looked for those kinds of things. That would make sense; MKT was largely a home-console game.

2019-05-18 05:00:40

I always thought that story was a big deal when it came to early mk games. For proof, just look at the mk movies, live action and cartoon series. Yes, most of it wasn't very good, with the first movie and live action series being the exception, but it's obvious that there was a lot of story content to work with that were just from the first 3 games alone. Plus there were comics and a novel if I remember correctly, so for that reason, I strongly believe that story was more than just icing on the cake for mk fans. It's just that gaming technology wasn't advanced enough to give us a full movie like experience that we can get today, so they had to fall back on other things to convey the story, such as textual intros and endings, artwork, music, character and stage design, and other forms of media outside of the games themselves.

2019-05-18 16:31:02

Hmmm, maybe it's just a me thing.
I just don't see the lure in what amounts to a simple chunk of text being a "story." All the story is in the above link is essentially a summary of the two movies. Even
MK2's story and MK3's story follow the same structure -- just some text outside of gameplay that has nothing to do with what you do in-game.
I will say that
character endings are a nice touch, but also no more than a few sentences in length.
I'd be interested to know why
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was a thing when Trilogy was coming out a year later. Oh well, just another game to add to the collection!
This is what drew me into games like
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3. The story was part of actual gameplay, albeit it was just another version of the anime series. Obviously, this came out in 2007 while MK came out in the early 90's, so I wouldn't expect the early MK games to contain stellar storylines. Seeing as how the first movie didn't come out until
August of 95, it's not like these games worked with any basis for a story.
MK1's plot, or lackthereof, was inferred by the comics and only the comics.

Ultimately, there's no character depth. Liu Kang did this, Shao Kahn did that, blah blah blah. As far as I'm concerned, the early MK timeline is really just a rudimentary plot. But, if you enjoy the story of these earlier games, more power to you.
smile