2019-05-15 10:42:21

so,i want to know what kind of screenreader   you are using in yo or USA,because mostly jaws as i heard.
and one third users using NVDA.
questions
i was tried jaws, but it is so hard to learn and don't support chinese, i can make it read chinese, but it lag  inputter reader, this means i can start  learning jaws and finally  use jaws with the english skill my own, but  can not input any chinese characters. the last jaws version someone make it support  a bit chinese is jaws14,and taiwan have a version of jaws 12 somewhere
another question is it's price, i  know it is  pritty high, 1000USD for home use,, and heard about upgrade need to continue pay for it, but don't know the upgrade price. so how did  you  guys got jaws and have the ability to upgrade it?
NVDA make  the support  because it's opening,so everyone can try to use it, i do using it for my  main jobs.
in china, all personal screenreader are using dongle attach to USB,i as i know ZDSR(zhengdu screenreader) for about 150USD,sunshine screenreader for about 120USD, and yongde had been discontinued, about 200USD, but they are all free upgrade,
this list means 1000USD can be all the scores that half an year as a normal person working for, anyways in china. but the  problem can be, they are not powerful as jaws as i know, although you can upgrade it.
anyone can tell me  about window eyes, super nova, system access, or other screenreader  i never have chance to use like pc talker.
i read a news somewhere said window eyes has been discontinued  or? i  have little infomation about super nova and system access, their features and reviews.
hmm.

2019-05-15 11:07:26 (edited by afrim 2019-05-15 14:03:01)

I use NVDA for most of the tasks, if not all. I've just come to like it more than JAWS, mainly because the version of JAWS I was using was crashing a lot and the built-in scripts failed to switch between the applications they are responsible for.
So, let's say I was using Word 2010 and Mozilla Thunderbird. JAWS wouldn't be able to gain focus on Thunderbird after I switched to it from Word. Same would happen with other applications; so, I made the decision and switched to NVDA full time. The only occasion when I use JAWS is when I have to work on a complex word document where emphasis is placed on formatting and other elements which JAWS seems to recognise better than NVDA. Other than that, I don't need JAWS for anything else.
It is only now that I can fully recognise the amazing work and effort NV Access and the supporting community have put into producing a viable screen reader that is usable in most of the domains people have to work on.

2019-05-15 13:54:49

I used Supernova up until 2017. Its generally cheaper than Jaws, both in terms of price and upgrades and has magnification built in too for those who need it.
The problem is that where in the xp days Supernova was an incredibly versatile screen reader that could handle most anything you threw at it, didn't need scripts or to reformat to work and would let you manipulate the mouse and move through any text based windows no problemm, support for newer operating systems and programs fell off.

Dolphin (the makers of supernova), claimed the program would work with windows 10, so I bought a pc with supernova preinstalled on it in January of 2017, only to find that different bits of the screen were just unreadable, everything from Chrome to windows mail.
When I contacted dolphin about this, expecting an answer of how to fix the problem, or at least that they were aware of the issue and working on it, their attitude was "well its microsoft's fault for microsoft edge and we don't support that"

So, don't use in built windows mail, download windows live mail. Don't use chrome or edge use internet explorer, and never mind the system settings or notification area. Indeed, when I informed them that NVda would! read these things and was used by many people, they said "Well I don't know anyone who uses NVdA full time", which is about the most obvious example of burying heads in the sand I've ever heard.

This is a direct 180 degree shift of the sort of attitude dolphin previously had, rather than giving you a screen reader that would read most anything! they create a screen reader only designed to work with specific programs or bits of the operating system, and then refuse to do anything else.

What was doubly the last straw, is when I looked at the changelog for version 16, a huge amount of emphasis had gone into building things like a music player and audiobook downloader into supernova directly, rather than on things like chrome and edge support  or working properly with all parts of the operating system.

I feel genuinely sad about this, I used supernova for close to 20 years, and would often defend its virtues or explain its workings to others, I  remember all those times when people were swapping around Jfw or window eyes scripts and I'd just fire up supernova and it'd work out of the box. These days though, Dolphin are simply not interested in marketing to anyone who actually wants to use a computer properly.
I hear they have included Chrome support in version 17 this year, but that is definitely too little too late, indeed they offered me a reduced price on a v17 upgrade and I did not take it.

So, I switched  to NvdA and have never looked back. I might have considered Jaws had it been a reasonable price that normal people could actually pay, but I'm not interested in even trying a demo of something I don't have a cat in hell's chance of affording.
On the other hand I'm very happy with NVdA, everything from office support to the way it works with most programs and lets me mess around freely with windows, indeed this is why I still give monthly donations to NVdA because I'm so impressed with what's been done, and continues to be.

My only issue with NVdA is that I do wish it took a bit less by way of system resources and would run without slowdown on laptops, but this certainly isn't a major deal much of the time.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-15 15:15:47

I myself use Voice-over on the mac, but when i use windows, i tend to fire up NVDA.  However, I am starting not to like NVDA as much because it seems to crash quite a bit, and the speach of elequence gets funky here and their. like raising in pitch.  I have considered jaws for my windows side of the mac, but i am still not so sure about that.  I mainly use the windows side to play games.  Good luck in finding what you are looking for.

Their is no such thing as a master.  One is never done learning, and those who claim to be a master at something are far from becoming one!!

2019-05-15 16:04:59

@2, what version of jaws you are using? if you can use jaws 2019, will it be better?
and, nvda is the  only international screenreader that have full chinese support with allmost everything, super nova, @3, so they won't support windows and want to  make a program that like blind version of computer?
about jaws version,i like i said, it so hard to learn and  lag the chinese support so no.

2019-05-15 16:54:10

I use NVDA *all* the time.
It isn't bad at all, I quite like it.
It does crash a bit like when I tell Python to spit 500000 bites of compressed data to the console, and I can't blame NVDA much.

2019-05-15 17:03:07

I've never had the issues with NvdA crashes people mention myself, maybe its because I'm using the vocaliser addon I don't know.

@snow, I honestly don't know, I suspect its either because dolphin's staff are just plane  less skilled than they used to be, and so essentially prefer to just tell people to cope with things rather than continuing with their design of a versatile screen reader, or they're turning into the standard corporate mindset of "you will like this because it is our product and we say so!"

I used to have a pretty good relationship with Dolphin back in the day, regular tech support, new licence fixes when my computer broke etc, and they were never this unfriendly or this prone to just sweep things under the rug.

Had they said "well we know the support isn't worth it, we're working to fix it" I might have considered giving them more of a chance, but not with that "take what we give you and like it!" type of attitude.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-15 18:02:45

@Snow, I am using JAWS 2018, March release. There is not much of a difference between JAWS 2018 and 2019 based on what I've seen from the 40 minute mode I tried once. The problem I described in post 2 was gone, of course.
Depending on the language you have to work with, you might consider JAWS or NVDA. It's totally up to you. I think there is a vocalizer expressive voice for Mandarin Chinese if it helps.

2019-05-15 18:41:55

Jaws? I hate it. I.  hate. It

I am not sure why do you want to contact me . If you want to do add me on Skype

live:cccefg2

2019-05-16 02:09:42

Well if you want my personal opinion, I say go with NVDA!
NVDA has always been there for me, giving me a little add on every now and again to help fix things up and make things accessible. and pluss it's towts free! If Jaws is one thousand USD and I live in Belize where USD is mulltiplide, Well lets just say i'd be paying two? thousand? USD? You have any idea what I could do with that money if I had it? Not pay for a screen reader, THAT'S WHAT!

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2019-05-16 02:23:33

I never have liked jaws, and the upgrades are 300 dollars.
I used super nova for a long while, until in the end of 2016, i switched to NVDA. now, i use nvda 99 percent of the time.

2019-05-16 05:39:24

NVDA. I donate a small stipend monthly.It does work very well with the majority of programs I use, and recent developments have made many more other things possible. I was in the jaws camp for many years but abandoned it because I could not keep up with costs and so on.
I could never understand voiceover or window eyes.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-05-16 07:45:21

voiceover could be all apple stuff, window eyes i said nothing, no chinese eather.
i was dreaming if NVDA could  get  a funtion like jaws for mouse, because it is the best mouse i have seen.

2019-05-16 08:24:11

I use... ZDSR? Hello, chinese friend.
However I also like Jaws very much. You can pay 100 dollars a year and have a license. As far as I'm aware, Jaws can somehow support Pinyin, you can try and use RIME with it.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-05-16 08:25:03

Sorry for a double post, but if you would like to try rime
www.rime.im

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2019-05-16 14:07:08

rime can not use in an way  with screenreader, someone may get script for MS pinyin, but not so far.
the problem just china have little jaws users.
i got a uses as jaws dongle, but it may not upgrade to  to next version  for now, and i have to give it back when i leave the school,the most funtion i care about is mouse funtion that screenreader can access what we can not read in normal way using the arrows.

2019-05-16 14:27:24

i am using NVDA.
its a good screenreader but gives some trouble in ms office products and in file explorer.
hope it will be fixed in upcoming updates

thanks and regards.
Krantikari
visit my Youtube channel for technical related stuff

2019-05-16 15:02:29 (edited by fatih 2019-05-16 15:04:07)

Hello,
I use NVDA in my school computer which runs windows 7 and narrator on my pc which runs windows 10, at home that is. The only problem with windows 10 narrator that I'm having is it doesn't supppport moving the mouse around and clicking with it etc and it doesn't work with many audiogames. For this I rely on the SAPI support.
Thx

2019-05-16 15:05:27

@Snow, ZDSR does supportmouse really, really great! Hwoever you must know how to use the pixel navigation, surveillance monitors and accurate positioning. You have a manual in Chinese in the program's folder.

2019-05-16 16:55:26

i'm using, and will always use n, v, d, a! 1000 dollars for buying sr? never. I will bye yamaha or phone for this money dude.

Yours kindly