2019-04-14 18:19:29

Hi all,
As part of my MPhil degree in Theoretical and Applied linguistics at the University of Cambridge, I am conducting research on how blind and sighted adults understand and interpret language. I am looking for congenitally blind and early blind and sighted adults aged between 18 and 67, who do not have any additional disabilities, and who grew up in an English-speaking country. I am currently finalizing my survey and expect to complete it within a week.  I expect it to take between 40-45 minutes when finished. Participants in the survey will be entered into a draw to win four £25.00 amazon.co.uk gift cards. Anyone who would like to participate in the survey please e-mail me  at my academic address ([email protected]), and I will send out the survey when it is completed.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-04-15 00:31:02

Hi,
I tried posting on many groups I am subscribed to. Do you have any suggestions as to where else  I could post?
Also, the reason I do not distribute the link publicly is  that I don't want participants who do not qualify from taking the study.  Additionally, I am using a latin square design, in which I use some of my items in one survey and some in  a second version. As I will personally send the links, I can assure that a more or less equal number of people take  the survey.

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that."

2019-04-15 01:21:26

Try /r/blind on reddit, just make sure to mention that their is compensation in the title, and that your blind, that should help.

2019-04-15 02:34:25

Thanks Defender, done.

2019-04-17 03:39:41

Hi All,
I haven't been able to achieve a good number of blind participants in the study. Anyone know where else I can post this?

2019-04-17 05:30:05

I am willing to join your study if you need me to.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-04-17 06:12:23

Does your home language need to be english? I'm not sure if by english-speaking country you mean countries where english is mostly the home language, or where it is commonly spoken

2019-04-17 10:46:13

Will be both. I know a Little of linguistic things btw, but my homeland isn't english speaking so...

73 Wj3u

2019-04-17 19:17:53

Hi Jayde,
That would be much appreciated. And to all, the home language isn't important. What is certainly important is that you be born and raised in a country where English is the language and is spoken, e.g the US, the UK, Australia, South Africa etc.

2019-04-27 05:28:36

Hi all,
I just wanted to provide an update. The study is ready completely. I am now waiting for the go ahead to start sending out the links. I will also see if I can apply for additional money through my scholarship so I can offer different types of rewards and more cash prizes. Thank you to all who contacted me to participate. If anyone else would like to participate, I am very much in need of more participants.

2019-04-30 20:30:12

Hi all,
I have finally completed all the corrections to the survey, and sent it out to everyone who contacted me. I still need both sighted and blind participants however. Thank you to all of you who contacted me for this.

2019-04-30 20:41:54

Does India count as an English speaking country?
We are tought English as the first subject / language (that is all of our subjects are in English) besides the well, ehh languages wink so if it does count, I would be glad to hop on.
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-04-30 22:16:32

Hi,
If English is spoken in the country, and an offitial language, then of course.

2019-05-01 13:15:15

I sent an email to the address given in the first post at some point but never got a response so not sure if you got it.

2019-05-01 17:52:19

Hi,
I did respond to all e-mails I got yesterday. Didn't you  et the message? If not, could you contact me again? I am 100% sure I replied to you.

2019-05-01 17:53:32

in fact, I replied to you on 18:19 UK time.

2019-05-08 17:58:25 (edited by Ghost 2019-05-08 18:48:00)

Hi all,
I have great news! I have been able to acquire a further £400.00 in funding! This means that I have increased the  number of vouchers to 20!  Also, I can offer any cash prizes which are £25.00, not just Amazon UK vouchers. So, any participating person has a very high probability of getting a voucher. I could always use more participants, so if you fit the criteria, I would really be happy if you could participate
edited: to get rid of typos.

2019-05-08 22:50:54

I've just sent you an email. This sounds interesting and I hope I can help you out.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-05-09 11:31:32

thanks chris, I replied.

2019-05-09 14:39:18

So guys, for the person who tried to sign me up to about 120 mailing lists 5 or so times, microsoft antispam blocked 500 out of the 524 messages. I have also reported your ISP for abuse/spam. It isn't nice to do that to someone who didn't do anything to you.

2019-05-16 06:08:39

Hi all,
So an update. I plan to close the study soon, in the next few hours, so any of you who got the link I recommend you complete it.
Interestingly, only 28 have requested a voucher, which basicly means that only 8 people won't get a voucher. There probably was never a study where the possibility of getting a voucher was so high lol.

2021-01-03 12:37:30

Hi all,
Don't know if this qualifies as thread necromancy, but I think I  owe  the community an update on what the outcome of this project was. This thesis project was scored highly, as a distinction, and I received my degree in the end of June of 2019 as intended. I was curious if anyone had wanted  a copy of the final draft of the manuscript, given that the community here was awsome and instrumental in accumulating a large number of responses in a very short time.

2021-01-04 06:15:59

I'd really like to see it yeah!  And I don't think it really counts as necromancy if it's your topic and you have a reason.

2021-01-04 06:51:30

Well I don't know how best to do this though. The thesis doesn't get published electronically by the department, but since it  got over the  pass score, it is at the library there. So I would need to distribute the pdf file. But since it has my personal info on it, thinking of using pm to distribute it mainly.

2021-01-04 07:25:35

congratulations friend, although hi mr on this topic entirely, congratulations.