2019-05-14 12:43:32 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-14 12:48:21)

Hi.
So, I've been kinda forced to use VS. If this isn't something worth trying, I'll google a lot and switch to the developer command prompt.
After running "Build solution", how do I read errors / warnings? It shows the number of errors with some kind of filter screen, but I don't see anything valuable there. How do I do this? I'm using vs2017 with NVDA. Please help!
Currently I always read debug/mySolution.log to see errors, but I can't do that over and over and over again because I'd probably sabotage and sleep due to too much frustration.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-05-14 14:29:23

Generally  when I build the solutions and I get the errors I just have to scroll to them with the arrows, but I won't always be able to read them. When that's the case I use the log. But primarily you should be able to read them.
Also, I have no idea on wether having the addon helps or not.

Paul

2019-05-14 14:47:36

When I try arrowing in the first text area, NVDA always says blank. But there must be something I don't know because I do know that a number of blind programmers using VS for their jobs.

2019-05-14 15:15:31

Na. The addon is shit, and actually breaks a bunch of stuff instead of improving them

If you like what I do, Feel free to check me out on GitHub, or follow me on Twitter

2019-05-14 16:53:17

I have to second that, don't use the addon.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-14 18:46:06

Well, i'm using the add-on and it works for me, at least I didn't notice any trouble with it yet, and I already developed UWP and Xamarin apps with it.
The error dialogue is... well, lets say, not nice. I use to press Ctrl+Alt+O to switch to the output window to check on the errors manually. I however just switched over to SCons for C/C++ app building. You can use Makefile-like scripts in Python with it which will control how your builds are being made. SCons can easily use Visual Studio to do your stuff, as well as almost any other compiler for almost any language you know, also on other operating systems. As long as you aren't forced to use Visual Studio because you're doing some fancy stuff like Xamarin or whatever, but instead are just developing C# or C/C++ apps with it, using SCons as a command-line alternative without opening VS ever again might be an option for you.

Best Regards.

Hijacker

2019-05-14 21:36:38

oh this actually sounds nice.

Paul

2019-05-15 10:26:31

Hi! NVDA is bad for VS, however if you want to read errors, use the object nav and scroll to the data grid.

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-05-15 13:53:21 (edited by hhleon-mueller 2019-05-15 13:55:12)

What adon do you mean?
Iā€™m using codetalk, which is an extension for visual studio.  Or do you mean the ad on for  NVDA  which is for visualstudio 2015?

Feel free to contact me:
My facebook page
My skype

2019-05-15 15:13:22

the addon for nvda, which is messed up, and breaks left and right.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-19 04:17:13

Yeah, fuck that addon

2019-05-19 04:17:50

If your on windows 10, use NVDA plus r, that OCR's your screen. If not, use cloud OCR. not as officiant, but still pritty good.

2019-05-20 13:35:39

Yeah, I found that it was readable using object nav, but it's more troublesome than reading the log file. Maybe I should be a CUI master. Thanks.

2019-05-21 12:16:42

Another good stuff is to enable the output window while debugging. It's settable in the gemeral preferences/

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.

2019-05-24 15:04:42

Honestly, it's been a while since I used VS. I steer away from IDEs since they often are more cumbersome than helpful, but when I did use VS2015-17 the error list always just popped up automatically when I built/ran a project. It took a few seconds for it to come up and become interactable, but when it did, all I remember doing was using the arrow keys. Maybe I had to tab first, but I don't think so. If I needed the error list without running the program, I just alt keyed to the view menu and selected it because I kept forgetting the hotkey.

I've never had much trouble with NVDA and Visual Studio, and I never used any add-ons for it. If I had trouble, it was minor and in functions I rarely used. It seems like updating the program was a bit of a headache and I wasn't very fond of the changes made in 2017, but I could always get around just fine.

The program was plenty accessible for me. I just prefer using plain text editors with no frills. Although having a jump to line *AND* character position would be nice.

You can follow me on twitter @s_luttrell and an almost never used Facebook account at skluttrell.

2019-05-24 16:47:02

I haven't tried the output window setting, but that might make things easier.
I'm not going to use the editor in VS, so it's OK if I could only view errors easily. That being said, I guess googling commands for the developer command prompt will eventually be faster.

2019-05-24 18:25:12

What programming language you use? Maybe you do not need to use VS at all?