2019-05-10 19:48:12

So I am going to get a new laptop. I have a couple specs in mind but I’m wondering what good laptops people have or have heard of. I mainly want it for gaming, I am thinking definitely an SSD but that’s as far as I’ve gotten.

2019-05-10 19:55:08

if you want it for mainstream games don't get a laptop, get a desktop.

2019-05-10 20:50:35

If you're getting a laptop, I'd recommend an SSD. It will make your laptop lighter and your overall system performance will be better. As for other specs, I recommend at least a dual core CPU and 4 to 8 GB of RAM. Anything above 8 GB is probably overkill unless you're doing really memory intensive tasks like video editing or whatever.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-05-10 21:37:44

I would say if you can, either look for a really good deal on a last gen model, but the newest gens should be looked for first for processors.
Like they both said, SSDs are good, but I think in certain laptops, it may be cheaper to buy it with a hard drive installed, and get a faster SSD than the one comes with for less.
If you can, I would suggest waiting a little bit until the Ice Lake processor generation releases, as I think that even with just integrated graphics (it may help if you just get a 15 incher with 9th gen parts) single core performance will rise dramatically.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-05-10 23:35:37

SSD for sure, definitely make sure it has one, or you can get one for it and get it installed. It makes things so much faster.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-11 06:08:55 (edited by queenslight 2019-05-11 11:16:34)

Hmm,

So I was gonna get this Ideapad 330 with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and it even comes with a DVD+RW drive, though it'd wouldn['t be for a few years down the road, like in 2021.
NB. The version I was thinking of getting has an intel 8 gen cor I5 by the way. (See page for all of the specs.)

Since I heard yall talk about the 9th generation of intel, I should probably
wait till those come out then. I don't think I would need 16GB of RAM myself, as 8GB should do fine for my needs. (Especially Since I'll be getting an X-Box after getting the PC.) As for a DVD drive, that's just an "optional" thing to have.

I mean, I could spring for a mac and put Windows in a VM also, though who knows at this point in time.

What do yall gamers here think!

PS. Alternatively, I may also go for a Chromebook with Windows 10 support, when that comes out.

2019-05-12 20:50:42

GO for a computer with at least a 6th gen i5, 8 GB ram, and an at least 256 gb ssd.

2019-05-13 00:48:15

To be honest, I wouldn't go for this.
Lenovo do offer customisation of units, so if you go for those, a thinkpad t485 or t480 or 585-580 is fine.
For me, the hp system I have the db0149au is good.
Amd rysen 5 2500 quad 4 physical 8 logical cores, 16gb 2600mhz ram, a 256gb toshiba ssd and a 1tb seagate drive and it cost me 1100 andis usually round 1370 bucks.
Vega graphics and all that.
There are a few issues, but you may never or seldom hit them.
Under high load say if you transfer 60 +gb over drives either for backups and or something it will flake.
I have issues when doing transfers when I first got it and when I was updating collections of synced material.
However I don't do this all the time so it just does it.
It may not be able to run 2 usb drives hdds at the same time without performance going down and windows flaking out but again, you can get round it.
It will also freez at times when processing large data sets.
These freezes are 1 second ones and don't really matter as such it fixes itself.
Its a good unit and I can use standard amd drivers.
The only thing is that I had to download the entire driver package from free-codecs but its really good.
I had to also change the overlay keys in the drivers to something which isn't alt r but thats it.
The speakers are good and sound is fine.
Enhancements suck and there are still a few filters on afterward, however I wouldn't recommend stopping drivers or anything to kill those else sound will be weird.
Also running on default driver for ms just blows the speakers, the power of the card is well its powerfull.
The only thing you won't have is a graphics card, and for this I would go for the pavilian 2000cx series.
One thing right now you will encounter is usb c ports all over the place.
This one has 3.1 but not usb c just a ports.
A lot of devices are going c but not enough c devices exist for me to bother with c right now, and becides you will need a hub to get ports back.
I have a hub for a devices but still.
What I am waiting for is the newer usb ssds which are small and cost a lot right now but once those go down a bit that may be enough for usb c.
The unit is quiet and I would highly recommend it.

2019-05-13 06:22:14

@crashmaster

Thanks for your feedback!

Since I'm  not goign to be getting a new laptop till at least 2020, I still have time to figure out what i'll do.

Ah, a Thinkpad t480 definitely is a good option to go with. People love them thinkpads!

If Windows 10 indeed is coming to Chromebooks in the future, I may get myself a Pixelbook instead, but again, only tie will tell.

PS. The highest I'll spend on a laptop before tax, is 1000 USD, especially since I am one who does not need so high end graphics for the games I play. For example, Tiflo Space or , Mine Craft (whenever that becomes fully accessible some day, and not just in "beta" form)

2019-05-13 13:13:37

What is tiflo space?  I’ve heard a few people mentioning it. And yeah, I have heard good things about those as well. I believe I am going shopping today so I will see what there is available and even if I have to order something I will do that. And I will update everybody if I think of it and don’t get too caught up in the moment of just setting it up and all that.

2019-05-13 13:51:45

if you are getting it for mainstream games, get one with a gtx 1060 6 GB, above 6th gen core i 7, anything above 8 GB RAM is good, and SSD isn't a must have, there's no big difference.

2019-05-13 14:10:35

Really? People are ranting and raving about the solid-state drives. They say they are so much better. I don’t need a lot of graphics because I am a total so therefore would be using screen readers. My main thing is speed. Mainly because I really hate waiting for things to load LOL. And I don’t want it to crash every few seconds.

2019-05-13 14:33:05

Honestly, skip a laptop if you just want to game. Laptops are laptops first and gaming machines second.
You'll pay less money for a desktop that has more powerful hardware, said hardware will not be power limited due to being stuck in a case that's an inch thick or under. There will be very little or no thermal throttling for the same reason.  You'll get more Longevity out of a desktop also.
Gaming laptops sound good on paper, but they are constantly limited in some way due to the form factor. Turbo boosts only last a couple of seconds, the GPUs  in these machines are sometimes heavily underclocked to produce less heat and power draw.
You can get machines that buck this trend, but they are massive unwieldy beasts that weight over 10lbs and when you unplug them they die in a couple of hours anyway.

Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.

2019-05-13 14:44:51

Quick Update!

About 10 minutes or so ago before writing this message, I was looking at the HP NV13 on Amazon Smile, which after reading the specs, this may be the laptop I'm truly gonna go for next year!

I don't necessarily need 16GB of RAM, though it can't hurt to have it. In As for a touch screen, I do love how Narrator works with it!

Anyway, let me know what yall think!

2019-05-13 15:35:00 (edited by Jod 2019-05-13 15:37:56)

well i'm using a PC and i have a 2 TB western digital HDD, it's fine. i don't know why people need 200 MB /s copy speed, mine copies with like 50 MB per second and boots in like 60 seconds.
also  you mentioned you need it for gaming, for audiogames you don't need a good graphics card but for mainstream games you do, even if you don't have a monitor it'll still need a graphics card to run the game with no lags.

2019-05-13 15:47:43 (edited by Mitch 2019-05-13 15:48:29)

I'm pretty sure because it goes that much faster, (if you go reallly high you can breach 3000 mb/s) and I assume that Windows boots that much faster.
But actual question: if you are able to adjust all of the graphics on Steam games to their lowest values, how would the GTX 1080 be better than the 1050, performance-wise?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-05-13 15:56:41

I’ve tried steam before and it was not accessible in the slightest. Is this true or am I missing something?

2019-05-13 16:26:59

@mich nearly all the games allow you to modify their quality, but good luck playing injustice 2 with 1050 in lowest settings with lowest resolution. i agree that buying a 1080 if you are a blind is overkill, you need to get a 1050 TI if you are buying a PC or 1060 if you are planning to get a laptop since laptop graphics cards are weaker.

2019-05-13 17:52:52

My laptop is what I need, a gaming MSI laptop, it is not that slim or anything, but the I7 7700 q, 16 gigs of DDR4 ram, the SSD, along with the HDD for data, a GTX1060 with 6 gb serves me pretty well.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-05-13 17:58:24

I think the newer graphics cards like the 1650 and 1660 will help even more, or the RTX if it helps.

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-05-13 21:05:20

If you are blind or want just small games, an older 1050TI or the 1060 is ok too, in my exxperience.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-05-14 02:37:43

Well I got my computer and so far I’m loving it! It wasn’t a horrible price, it is an HP laptop with eight gigs of RAM and a 256 SSD. It is an I five processor. I’m glad I have other storage though because I will need it.

2019-05-14 17:47:58

Did you get a powerbook? is it one of those 13-inch models that's very lightweight, and where the keyboard has a very shallow depth?
If so, and if you're anything like me, you're going to punish your keyboard. I have come to the conclusion that at least on its thinner powerbook-style laptops, its keyboards are shit, so I got an external and haven't looked back. Nice bouncy keys, and I can actually get far more battery life out of the machine now because I use headphones and the laptop itself is closed, which means it expends less of its battery. We're talking like 9-10 hours of solid use before I have to plug it in.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1