2019-05-12 13:51:28

I have made a new version of a game I've been working on since 2017 called Mob Shift. It's basically a replica of the Brain Shift game from Tiger Electronics. The game was prgorammed in Unity3D and it was coded in C#.

The game has all six modes from the Brain Shift game and extra features! The voices and music were professionally recorded in the studio. Currently I have Mac and Windows builds avaliable. I will be compiiling and iOS build and Android build soon!  For blind users, the numbers on the top of the keyboard will navigate through the main menu and when the game starts you press the letter on the keyboard that matches the colour. So if the voice says "Red" you have to press the R button.
https://samtastic.itch.io/mob-shift?fbc … FSifJxHeHw

Happy shifting!

2019-05-12 14:25:36 (edited by KenshiraTheTrinity 2019-05-12 14:43:40)

Woo cool!

Couple things. Will the mobile versions also be accessible? When can we expect the android release? And will our purchases be cross platform?

2019-05-12 14:40:54

sounds fun. one day i will buy it i think. Good luck.

Yours kindly

2019-05-12 15:08:44

This sounds awesome, cheaper than finding an used hand held for brain shift.

I am myself and noone is ever gonna change me, I am the trolling master!

2019-05-12 15:37:48

A demo to test it would be good.
I don't like if I have to pay for a game and can't test it. At the moment I don't see a reason to pay for it and then only have to press letters of colours which a voice says.

Greetings,
Janagirl!

2019-05-12 16:34:18

Hi.
@Samtasitc: Welcome to the forum. Excuse me for the following post:
Seriously, do you even know what you are doing?
You are announcing your game on a forum, mostly for blind and visual impaired people. People on this forum expect newly announced games to be accessible for blind people.
I just bought your game for IOS, and guess what? The game is completely totally inaccessible with Voiceover, meaning that blind people are not able to navigate the menus in the game, or even play the game at all.
No, I am not going to buy it for pc and mac, because I'm afraid I'll get exactly the same experience.
Are you going to make the game accessible for blind gamers, now that you have announced the game here on the forum?
I do get the fact that the title of the forum, "The Audiogames forum" is not just games for blind people only. Sighted gamers can of course also play audiogames. But when looking at the games database and here on the forum, it is quite easy to see that it's mostly blind members.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-05-12 16:48:12

Yes I do. The PC/Mac version is accessible to navigate through the game.

2019-05-12 16:49:28

@6 This is why I ask questions first. I presume that just the PC version is accessible for now. Also, if apple had a refund feature you'd probably be less frustrated. This is also the dev's first post. Cut him some slack.

2019-05-12 16:54:50

Samtasitc wrote:

Yes I do. The PC/Mac version is accessible to navigate through the game.

This is great to hear. Sorry if you feel my previous post was offensive, but I think you should have warned us that only the pc/Mac versions are accessible to blind people. I'll go ahead and buy this, and ask for a refund for my IOS purchase.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.

2019-05-12 17:24:09

Hi.
Here is some quick feedback:
1. Purchasing the game:
Purchasing the game went well, accept for one thing which screenreader users needs to watch out for regarding the website:
Clicking the buy button opens up the purchase section on the website, but it does not refresh the website, and the screenreader I used does not automatically gane focus on the purchase section. So it feels like nothing happens when clicking the purchase button, but you just need to scroll down on the website.
I really like that you can download both versions of the game right after you have made the purchase, and that you can create an account on the site so you can redownload the game later.
2. The Windows version comes with a readme. Maybe I have done something wrong, but I don't find any readme in the Mac version. The readme is short, great and gives some good information about unlockables. I would like to know where the high score and unlockables information is stored, just in case I want to back it up so I don't loose it. This information might also be relevant, if the game is being updated in the future.
3. Gameplay: Both the Mac version and Windows versions works quite well. The game is self voiced which works quite well for this kind of game in my opinion.
Thanks a lot for making this awesome old school arcade game for more modern devices. It's great fun.
Do you have other great old school audio games in mind for the future?

Best regards SLJ.

2019-05-12 17:55:53

Cool! I will try this.
Ps. Samtastic, you created channel on youtube Sam Locke?

ice, fire, water, thunder.

2019-05-12 18:09:50

pates wrote:

Cool! I will try this.
Ps. Samtastic, you created channel on youtube Sam Locke?

Yes thats' me!

2019-05-12 18:19:21

Answer to my own question:
The highscore and other information is not being saved.
I'm not really good at the game, but I like the challenge.
Online multiplayer support would be amazing.

Best regards SLJ.

2019-05-12 21:38:51

I have a idea, how to create a accessible version for android and ios.
Each color have a simple gesture!
For example red, swipe finger right and up, yellow down and left and more

2019-05-12 21:39:21

SLJ wrote:

Hi.
Here is some quick feedback:
1. Purchasing the game:
Purchasing the game went well, accept for one thing which screenreader users needs to watch out for regarding the website:
Clicking the buy button opens up the purchase section on the website, but it does not refresh the website, and the screenreader I used does not automatically gane focus on the purchase section. So it feels like nothing happens when clicking the purchase button, but you just need to scroll down on the website.
I really like that you can download both versions of the game right after you have made the purchase, and that you can create an account on the site so you can redownload the game later.
2. The Windows version comes with a readme. Maybe I have done something wrong, but I don't find any readme in the Mac version. The readme is short, great and gives some good information about unlockables. I would like to know where the high score and unlockables information is stored, just in case I want to back it up so I don't loose it. This information might also be relevant, if the game is being updated in the future.
3. Gameplay: Both the Mac version and Windows versions works quite well. The game is self voiced which works quite well for this kind of game in my opinion.
Thanks a lot for making this awesome old school arcade game for more modern devices. It's great fun.
Do you have other great old school audio games in mind for the future?

Next month I have plans to re-create the audio game Crystal Ball from the Google Assistant with my own professional voices. Also I have plans to update Boogie Lightz which is a Boogey Ball replica.

2019-05-13 00:34:13

You should make some bop it games. I personally wouldn't like that a lot, but i know a lot of people in the blind community that would.
SLJ, yeah, he is knew to the forum, and he is fully sighted, but he has many blind friends, witch i can tell from his youtube.

2019-05-13 06:58:24

TY, oh yeah. Bop it games are cool. Other cool games are for example brain war, brain bash, simons.

2019-05-13 07:09:33

oh!. this is a grate game! i like it!

2019-05-13 08:09:07

@Samtasitc: Sounds awesome. I look forward to those new games.
Brain Bash would be really really cool to have as well.
@Ty: I know. smile

Best regards SLJ.

2019-05-13 15:27:42

I do not know how people think a bop it should be played with a keyboard, really, if I do not have the hand held in my hands, I suck at it.
If I start to play with my bop it, some version with a retractable sensor, I do not know the name, I can beat that thing on all modes.

2019-05-14 07:10:23

I would like a bop it for PC, as I don't have money to buy an actual bopit!

My chiptune archive is https://chiparchive.com/files/.
And the new sync key is
BQHTXTVRWGMFSI3BI3ZVQ4TGEOGNJJO64
Twitter is https://twitter.com/thechiptunearc1?lang=en

2019-05-14 14:52:21

There already is beat star pro and bop it ultimate.

2019-05-14 16:32:29

@Samtasitc I have bought the game, since while I never played the handheld, I was always a fan of boppits and regularly slaughtered boppit extreme and blast.

First, I love the different voices and the colourful depiction of the game shifting on screen as you press the keys, although obviously this isn't %100 necessary to play and mostly I have my screen off anyway.

I do slightly wish there was an alternative sound for when you hit the shifts since the car swirving sound sort of rates on my nurves, and something a wee bit less harsh might be nice, but this is only a miner thing big_smile.
More major, is the fact that when the game asks a question, I'm not sure how to respond. For example, when I lost, the game just hung, I assume its waiting for some input or other, but hitting the numbers, letter keys, arrows or enter did nothing at this point and I had to quit with Alt F4 to try again.
The same thing happened when I completed the first game and unlocked endless mode and it asked me if I wanted to go on, I did get it to work this time, but I'm not sure what exactly I hit.
You might consider recording some audio feedback for these situations, EG "to play again hit one" or "to play endless mode hit E"

I also am not sure if high scores etc are accessible since thus far while I've started the thing up and tried out several of the games, I'm not sure what information I'm missing through not being able to read print on the screen (my sight is enough to see colours, but  not to do any actual reading).
If you don't want to monkey with outputting high scores, achievements etc to screen readers, or
in built tts you could consider just writing them to a text log which players could check at a later time.

Other than that, great job! It'll be really nice to have some rhythm action games for Pc and I'll be interested to see where this one goes.

Oh, and my Itch.io account is under the name darkempathy.
I haven't done a lot with it other than use it to buy a couple of accessible games, since Itch.io isn't exactly clear about what is and isn't accessible, but for what its worth I've added you to my collection.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-14 16:34:25

To be honest, beat star makes more sense than the games that should be bop it.
For example, in bop it ultimate you have the layout of an actual hand held, but it is still hard to press all of the keys if you have a tall keyboard.
But beat star is on mostly the same concept, except it has a more natural layout and it does not have only bop it, it has alot of packs to choose from.

2019-05-14 16:46:51 (edited by Dark 2019-05-14 16:57:32)

Okay that was odd. I played stick shift, and got to the bit where it asked me if I wanted endless mode. I tapped keys and I think pressed b and it started again, then after a few shifts told me I'd beaten stick shift.
Firstly, that was rather easy if indeed that was the end (I thought it would go to insane score levels like boppit used to), and secondly that wasn't exactly endless big_smile.

I suspect I'm just missing something here.

Edit: okay tried the other games, a shame that there isn't either a computer opponent or an online option, since games 3  4 and 6 don't seem to make much sense playing single player, actually that's another reason why it'd be nice if there was an alternative shift sound, since it'd be nice to play these with Mrs. Dark, but I know for a fact she wouldn't like that harsh grinding gears effect very much big_smile.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)