2019-04-23 16:57:15

Hi guys,
I just wanted to know that is their any online resource or some website from where we can learn Maths? I wanted to ask this because I have taken the subject in my school and I sometimes have problem in understanding some graffical things. So I wanted to know if their was any sight or something for help.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore
Follow me on Twitter, Discord and Instagram

2019-04-24 01:55:01 (edited by Chris 2019-04-24 04:20:54)

I don't think so. Math is already difficult enough for blind people, and most online resources rely heavily on graphs and other visual elements. Why we're all made to go through this bull shit when in reality, nothing but basic math is needed or even practical in the real world for 99% of us. It's not like there will be tactile diagrams everywhere! Ugh!

My suggestion is to ask the people who are teaching this to help you out a little more. The next best thing would be finding someone on the Internet who's good at explaining things. Try looking up Khan Academy on YouTube. The person who does most of those videos does a decent job at explaining things verbally.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-24 02:47:52 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-24 02:49:09)

@2, actually, high school level math is used quite a bit subconciously by you, and if your going to be making games of any kind your going to need algebraic math at least. The more math your learn to use, the more your brain will subconciously apply to your actions in the real world. If you ever go into graphics or other fields like that the math requirement only grows. Math, after all, is the language of the universe.
As a resource for math, I'd highly recommend you use OpenStax (https://www.openstax.org). Their books are very good; I used them in my College algebra class as a supplement for the course textbook since it followed the course objectives and textbook pretty closely.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-24 04:05:03 (edited by Chris 2019-04-24 04:14:30)

I don't plan on writing software, and graphics are out of the question since I'm totally blind. I do, however, understand the basics of a coordinate plane, as well as basic Algebraic equations. All the other bull shit like the Quadratic formula and 99% of Geometry is lost.

My problem is most people don't need that, so why waste years and years teaching it in school? Oh, I know! We have to keep all these Algebra and Geometry teachers employed, so it's not acceptable for students to just "drop out" if they don't like it and move onto something else, because then people would be unemployed! We can't have that! Never mind that your retarded system doesn't really help blind people who are mostly unemployed because you spend all your time teaching bull shit and not preparing them for the real world! Ugh! The public education system is worthless!!!!!

Anyway, now that my rant is over, I will say go for it if you truly think it will help you. If you don't care and know that 99% of what you're learning won't be applicable to the real world, just take the courses to pass. You'll be done with it soon enough. Oh, and ask your teachers for extra help. Their job is to help you, so they're going to have to spend the extra time and effort to assist you if you're not grasping it because of a lack of functioning eyeballs. Of course, if people *actually* wanted to learn this, they might put in a little more effort?

2019-04-24 05:57:42

@4, I'm quite curious where you get your evidence that the mathematics like geometry and trigonometry are worthless and entirely useless. Could you expound on the evidence you have to prove that? It does work, and it is doable; just because you have trouble with it does in no way mean that it doesn't work for everyone.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-04-24 08:27:26

desmos.com/calculator is a great accessible calculator.
It can do algebra.
basic gaussian  elimination:
2x + 4 = 5

Calculus
Derivatives
Definite integrals

graphing
It will play pitches based on what the graph does. experiment with the equations below:

y = x
y = -x
y = x^2)
y = sin(x)
y = 10/x

it even does multiple equations on the same graph and you can see where they intersect.
It doesn't do anything in more than 2 dimensions but I don't think you are needing that.

The argument of high school math doesn't apply to "real life" is taking it a bit too narrow. Yes you will probably not be mindlessly slogging through solving quadratic formulas or constructing geometric proofs to prove congruency on the job, but you completely misunderstand the point of math. I don't blame you, this is more of a failing of the education system rather than your personal short comings. Teachers power through the content and don't explain the why. I am not talking about the why as in why is the quadratic formula useful or why does this obscure geometric formula actually work. Most of those questions will be answered later in upper level math classes like calculus and may not even be appropriate for high school level geometry or algebra.

The why as in why does this matter is the bigger question. Math is problem solving. Not just the 30 quadratic formulas you just did on your homework, but general problem solving. You take a set of rules and concepts and apply it to a specific scenario and an answer pops out. math teaches you to brake a problem down into bitesized consumable pieces. You then use logical thinking to assemble those pieces into a solution that conforms to your universe. This isn't quite so obvious because so much of math is plug this and that into a formula, case in point the quadratic formula. It becomes more apparent in upper level calculus courses, geometry, and parts of algebra and trig when there are multiple ways to solve a problem. You have to try out a few ways and not be afraid to start over if one of them fails. Math is a way of thinking. It isn't playing letter and number games all day long to brake your spirit.

I don’t believe in fighting unnecessarily.  But if something is worth fighting for, then its always a fight worth winning.
check me out on Twitter and on GitHub

2019-04-24 12:59:51

Oh yes! Desmos is awesome! Those folks have spent a significant amount of time and effort making it accessible and should be commended. I wish I'd known about that three years ago when I was slogging through my third Algebra class in High School.

Kyleman123, thank you for that! I will agree with you to a certain point regarding problem solving. Once you know what to do and how the equations work, it's fairly easy. However, is it really necessary to spend 3 years going over the same material? I think part of the reason it's done this way is for the people who don't understand to eventually catch on. Someone doesn't understand this topic, so we force *everyone* to sit through repetitions until the 1 or 2% of people that don't get it finally do or they turn 18 and we don't care about them anymore. Bleh! Then they want everyone to "go to college" and do more? I don't think so!

It was never clearly explained why this was to my benefit. Why waste time measuring the height of a flagpole based on its shadow when I can't see it, will most likely never have to do anything like that in my lifetime, and I just don't care about it? I'm sticking to this unless someone can convince me otherwise.

2019-04-24 13:49:18 (edited by vaibhavbhandari 2019-04-24 15:38:29)

Hi,
Thankyou all, I'll try all the resources you all have provided.
I do agree that math is not just problem solving but is also used in daily points. Most of the things I can do easily but I face problems in those topics in which there are angles and we have to prove the theorums and also try to solve it. Otherwise I quite like the subject. I am right now in high school.

I am not someone who is ashamed of my past. I'm actually really proud. I know I made a lot of mistakes, but they, in turn, were my life lessons. Drew Barrymore

2019-04-24 15:21:43

I certainly like math myself. I'm no genius or anything, but I do enjoy it. @Chris, I don't think your theory is correct. They don't necessarily teach you the same content for thre years in a row. You learn two stages of algebra, one after the other, then geometry, then trig, and then (in my first year anyway) it was back to algebra again, though I already know the reason behind that. I think they do it as a refresher. As you no doubt know, kids are quite prone to "accidentally" forget subjects like that if it suits them. So they're ensuring that you remember that stuff.
The algebra-in-college thing was a refresher course; it was designed to help you continue algebra so you were ready with calculus and beyond.

My Github

2019-04-24 17:39:34

Wow Chris. Tell us how you really feel about math? lol As for me, I enjoy math to some extent, but not enough to be a mathematician. Well, technically, I did get degrees in electrical engineering and computer science, which are both full of math courses. And to be honest, Computer Science is an applied math. So, I guess I do really like math. lol
Math is really nice when studying Physics, theoretical computer science, advanced chemistry, electrical engineering, etc. It has many really great uses. I'm not trying to convince you, but it's the foundation upon which many of our inventions are based. Like that computer you're using, it was created by engineers, physicists, and yes, even mathematicians. Even higher levels of computing require math such as algorithm development, and IT. Yes, even IT uses a little bit of math to calculate things like distances needed to optimize network throughput.
Anyway, all that being said, I'm available to assist if needed. I've taken courses from Algebra to advanced Multivariable Calculus and differential equations, and even beyond that. At one time, I was working for an education company in the US known as Pearson, and I helped to develop an accessible equation editor. I left my position a while back, so don't know how much they've been able to improve. I know there were plans to include graphing capabilities, and facilities to aid in school assignments. You can find it at http://accessibility.pearson.com. No worries, I'm not disclosing any secretive info. This is available to the public. I've worked on a few other things behind the scenes, but can't really speak on those. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

2019-04-24 20:44:26 (edited by Chris 2019-04-24 20:46:10)

I don't necessarily "hate" math. Math for the most part is logical and makes sense. I like basic math. My problem is all these higher level subjects like Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Trigonometry, etc. Unless you're going into fields that require it, why waste so much time on it?

Yeah, I forgot most of the math I learned in school because I never could apply it to daily life. I'm not interested in physically building anything, writing software, writing super complex algorithms, designing graphics, etc, etc, etc. To the people that love doing those things and love math, all the more power to you! The problem was and still is forcing this on people that don't care and will never use it in a practical situation.

Anyway, I've said all I'm going to say. I'm sorry for hijacking this topic like that. Vaibhavbhandari, good luck to you. Desmos and the Khan Academy math videos are great resources. Also don't forget to ask the people teaching you for more assistance. If they're not doing a good enough job, you need to advocate for yourself so you can be successful. I had to have several tutoring sessions in High School because I wasn't grasping concepts right away. Maybe someone else explaining it to you in a different way would help. I recommend always getting the same information from at least two independent sources. You may find one method is better for understanding than the other.

2019-04-25 00:08:04

me?
I hate math!
math? peh!
not my thing.
however, I am kind a good at algebra and intigers
I suk at fraktions I hate fraktions!

I am a divine being. I can be called a primordial deity, but that might be pushing it, a smidge. I am the only one of my kind to have ten tails, with others having nine. I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I have ascended my own race.

2019-04-25 18:17:06

Thanks. I'll try that!

2019-04-25 20:29:09

Sort of off topic, but is there a .brf document that lists a complete table of integrals?

A winner is you!
—Urban Champion

2019-04-25 21:35:48 (edited by Ethin 2019-04-25 21:37:39)

I don't know if one does exist. MathML representations of them exist but I don't know if BRF versions exist.

My Github

2019-04-26 01:23:03

There probably does exist brf of integrals, but most likely owned by special Braille companies that generate educational materials for students. Besides, it's impossible to have a complete list of integrals as they span many levels of complexity and have a dynamic nature. There are books dedicated to listing integrals upon integrals, and they don't even touch some of the interesting bits found in theoretical physics and other sciences. That being said, a quick reference can be found in the back of Calculus II Openstax book. Download MathPlayer, hook up a braille display, and read the nemeth braille (which is essentially brf with semantic information). You can get some insight into many patterns. Don't get me started on integration by parts! lol

2019-05-03 14:04:03

It depends on the kind of math you're wanting to learn.  Some websites may be highly generous and write their materials in MathML, but, for the most part, expect images with no alt text.
If you're having issues with the visual nature of math, I'd strongly recommend obtaining embossed graphing paper and all of the other supplementary materials from APH.  With respect to trig, I'd recommend you'd get the Draftsman Drawing Board, also made by APH.  It plays a tremendous role in my computer science education, and I'm certain other STEM majors would tend to agree.
Math can be super tricky to understand outside of your blindness, so it's vitally important that you acquire the necessary materials to help you tactically understand the math concepts.

What game will hadi.gsf want to play next?

2019-05-06 11:45:33

This site uses math ml and describes the images:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu