2019-05-06 01:23:31 (edited by Pineapple Pizza 2019-05-06 01:27:11)

I know this is the 44556875th topic about what coding language to choose, however I have a very specific set of requirements, and I don’t want to start with BGT. Here are things I’m looking for in a coding language and if anyone can point me to any libraries with the requirements I have specified that would be great. Thanks. Something that is as cross platform as can be preferably. If not, something that at least works on Mac and windows. A coding language with library’s that support high-quality 3-D sound. A language that is good for beginners that is not BGT I’m not going to study BGT just to study another language  something that has a high amount of very beginner friendly documentation  especially  documentation  ment for audio game development. One that won't make you do a shit tun of math if such a thing even exists, if it did, it would be gods gift to man.  I under stand  that some languages are better for others, and everything will vary. However, I’m going to go by majority consensus here.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-05-06 01:32:01

Every language has a shit tun of math. It ain’t a calculator!!!!!

2019-05-06 01:33:10

Of corse. So i'll go for the one that has the least, or use a calculator.

I would rather listen to someone who can actually play the harmonica than someone who somehow managed to lose seven of them. Me, 2019.

2019-05-06 01:37:09 (edited by Zarvox 2019-05-06 01:37:44)

The less math the language has to use, the more you have to tell it what you wanted to do and more accurately.  You are just going to be replacing mass with other code

2019-05-06 01:43:59

Yeah well I am horible at math. And 10 years of school has not changed that fact.

2019-05-06 01:57:38

First:
1) There are no languages that meat your particular requirements specifically.
2) If you want to make anything 3D, you're going to need to learn 3D math. It really isn't that hard. For example, to normalize (clamp) a decimal number in a particular range between 0.0 and 1.0, your formula would be (1.0/max)*number. There are many others, and I'd advise you to learn that math if you want to make some very HQ 3d games.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-06 02:09:06

Alright then. If not exactly, which I doubted in the first place there would be, what could come close? From what I've already read, that would be several. As for 3 d, I'll probably move to that once I have more basic things down, how ever I do want any libraries that actually work with 3 d sound, as I have heard that a lot are out of date. Of corse by the time I have reached that point, it may have changed, again.

2019-05-06 02:23:25 (edited by Ethin 2019-05-06 02:23:40)

It depends on what programming language you want. I'll shoot the question right back at you: what programming language are you most comfortable with?

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-06 02:28:05

Reading between the lines of your requirements, I still think Python is your best bet. Its cross platform, has support for 3D audio with various libraries including OpenAL, is very beginner friendly with lots of documentation, easy syntax, and lots of people to ask for help. It doesn't quite have audio game specific documentation though, but the community can help fill in for that, and just about any programming language is basically built, if not on math, then logic. It depends on what you want to do and how much control you want over it, ultimately. Anyway, I'll just copy paste some links for you here:

You can get started by grabbing python [here], once thats done you can check out a number of free books such as [Dive Into Python], [How To Think Like A Computer Scientist], or the [Python Practice Book].

Once you have a handle on the core language, you can move on to things like Pyglet or Pygame for basic audio, window, and input handling. For more advanced audio you can check out my OpenAL examples [here], for screen reader output you could use Tolk, though its repo is experiencing some issues lately, you can grab an example set [here] that has the files you'd need.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

Oh and if your writing tts on mac you might want to consider Accessible_Output2 or pyttsx instead of tolk, as its windows only.

-BrushTone v1.3.3: Accessible Paint Tool
-AudiMesh3D v1.0.0: Accessible 3D Model Viewer

2019-05-06 07:00:57

Hi.
Let me point something out. Maths aren't needed unless you are doing physics and 3d. If you just want to make a  simple side scroller audio game or something, you will not nee maths. Since you mentioned 3d sound then you will, but you should know that 3d sound is not always the best option, depending on what game you are doing.

As for the language: NodeJS has what you need, 3d support (with some libraries), ready made templates for you to start building your game from, and a bunch of libraries and a great components system called npm where you can find many other libraries made by contributors. Python is ok too, but I haven't seen any audiogame templates or anything, so with python it might be a bit more tricky to get started.

As for js, I have something on m gitlab, but right now it has server issues, I'll get it fixed this week.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-05-07 16:42:00

i'd like to get started in js if anyone can direct me to a grate  place to start with, post 10

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-05-13 02:40:15

I would recommend JS or Python.

2019-05-24 15:37:27

It's already been said, but since you're going with the majority rules, Python seems to fit your requirements.

Math is pretty much going to pop up no matter what you're programming. Hell, even if you were programming a simple text editor you'd probably still have math pop up. You just aren't going to avoid that like you want. But the good news is, as long as you can do basic math, there's plenty of smart math people out there who have already developed the formulas you'll need. You just have to plug in the variables. You don't have to add and subtract things yourself. You just have to know how to tell the computer to do it for you in the right sequence. Remember: "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" and "Some Old Hippy Caught Another Hippy Tripping On Acid."

As for good documentation, all the languages out there pretty much have good documentation for common things and that documentation will get more dense the harder the task you're trying to do. There are a thousand and one easy to follow tutorials on basic loops and conditionals for every language out there, but not so much for 3D sound. The harder the task, the more you're going to have to learn. That's just the way it is for anything in life in general.

If you want simple tutorials for audio game development, you're going to be "DISAPPOINTED!". It's just something you're going to have to cobble together as you run into problems, and it's going to take some intuitive leaps on your part at times.

This forum is going to be the easiest place to find the bulk of the information you'll need, so I recommend you get really good at searching it. As you already said in the title, there's tons of threads of people who probably have had the same questions you will and the answers may be fifty or a hundred pages deep. Get used to reading and trying things that don't work right off the bat.

In fact, that's really good to know about programming in general. There's a thousand and one ways to do anything and a thousand of them probably won't work for you. So get used to that.

You can follow me on twitter @s_luttrell and an almost never used Facebook account at skluttrell.