2019-05-04 04:40:13

Hi.

I wouldn't say NVDA's development has taken a dramatic hit, I just believe that it has slowed down a noticeable amount, with features taking a back seat to bug fixes. Case in point, I commented on an 11-year old feature request of NVDA moving to the previous and next clickable element on the page, and persons have been asking for it on e-mail lists. It is more useful now than it was 11 years ago, even 5 years ago. Still, no progress has been made, despite this feature request being so small. I'm not complaining, because I don't have the first clue about coding it, but I just wonder if things would've been different if Jamie was around. I've posted about 20 tickets or so, not a lot, but Jamie was the one that really commented and pushed fixing the bugs along a lot faster. If we, in the community, can find someone like that, that would be really great. Instead, most comments these days ask for things that are sometimes not needed to reproduce an issue. I commented on one the other day, where the opening comment stated that he couldn't find something in the Input gestures dialog. The other person asked for steps to reproduce and a whole lot of other info, without checking first. Of course, it was not there. Anyway, we need greater community involvement, with persons who will give their all to the project.

2019-05-04 05:07:31

@101, we don't just need that, we need people who will reply to issues who actually know what their talking about, and know what to ask.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-04 08:17:14

@94
excuse me?
ahem,
we do have lives, you know. the world is far far far bigger than just the "internet". And, people have better things to do then watch some immeture old kids rage like 5 year olds fighting for choclet.
ceriusly, i will not even begin, to say that this topic was purely meant for suggestions and help regarding what i faced, not what this has become. but no point, since this is usually how all topics end up here.
Hence why,  i was ignoring it, but now that @94 has taken a step further to personally question me:
well there ya go. i gave you your answer.
Also the fact that just cause ethin doesn't face those issues he continues to insist that we are still a minority when more than a few, people have stepped up to back us up amuses me way too much.
Also, just cause we can't solve the issues means we can't question the devs? we can't lash out cause they have not been fixed for a long time? dude, ceriusly, the hell is wrong with you. there are thousands, of people who use NVDA and not just NVDA, look at games. what if i say, "no! no! you can't tell us about the bugs you are facing with PUBG mobile! cause you can't fix it! so you have no right to chrytisize!" i fear for the future of technology if devs start using that atitude big_smile

anyways, a good day to all of you.
regards

Abay chal.

2019-05-04 12:49:13

As Jamie left the team, some of those interesting side developments also went with him, sutch as the wonderful nvSpeechPlayer. It's nice, that Datajake fixed the incompattibility with newer Espeak so now it's still working, but probably there's no further development of the engine itself at this point.
So the situation is basically same as with music: there's some good band out there, it works well as an entity, but the main reason for it working is actually down to one persone. If that one persone leaves, the rest may still go on, but it's doing-being will never be as it was before.
Of course we as simple end users have no way to change the situation "coders can at least", but as so many people state the obvious, there must be some truth behind it. So yeah, it's still very important and nice, that we have NVDA as a free screen reader being used by many as a main one on a dayly basis, but it's developing engine has lost quite a strong part of it's power.

2019-05-04 13:59:28

I had slowdowns with NVDA on Windows 10, but I couldn't remember now how I fixed it.
I remember something about programs reading too much from the hard drive and making NVDA slower, but I don't know if it's the case for you.
You could try to check in the resource monitor (windows + R and type resmon) to see if you notice something strange.
Hope it helps a bit.

2019-05-04 14:19:54

One more detail regarding my system, that may or may not be relevant here, is that I use that thing previously known as classic shell
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
as I simply couldn't make friends with the new windows look. Hopefully it will still work on the big may update.

2019-05-04 17:00:29

@103
lets start with a few basics, shall we

You are greatly confusing paid products where technical support is actually part of the package, a service to you as a client, versus free products where people out of their own will go out of their precious lives, just like yours, to help you out. Since there was no obvious "I still have those problems" or "I stopped caring about this topic altogether" answer, but you still kept reading the topic, as you have just revealed to us, then that is why things turned out the way the did. Also, post 94 here said that you either were ... too busy because of whatever, or just wanted to troll, and unfortunately, you foolishly fell for the trap and conveniently ignored the first reason which was totally valid, or could have been, shouldn't you come up with such a laughable answer, which by the way could improve its spelling, if you wanted to be taken just a bit more seriously.

As for fixing the problems and criticism (because this discussion has been for quite a bit now very far from its intended purpose)
and this also applies to everything in your precious life outside of the internet:
You can criticize all you want, you can be very vocal about it... but alas, that will never actually make things any better for absolutely anyone, yourself included.
Some of us gave some suggestions, which you just willfully and happily ignored, and then as we got no really meaningful answer (we still haven't by the way) went to discuss exactly what was it that made open source a complicated thing and how it could be improved... so that people who were in similar situations could at least have some more insight and just chill out, but to no avail, so thanks.
I would rather  find fighting for chocolate a way more amusing, productive and tasteful thing than just logging in here only to be disappointed, wouldn't you believe?

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-05-04 17:13:56 (edited by jack 2019-05-06 18:17:21)

Alright, Aarrush. First mistake is you're using an hdd. I'm sorry, but the tremendous amount of lag that you're experiencing is largely due to the fact that you're using an hdd, and I'm half convinced you probably have not manually defragmented the thing. Trust me, this is the exact experience I had on an hdd vs ssd switch. And get a load of this, I was experiencing tremendous lag, on windows xp! I shit you not, the reason I couldn't run windows 10 till I got an ssd, never mind the fact my mac ran on 8gb ram and a 2.7ghz intel core i5, is because of trying to run the virtual machine on a seagate hdd. It, just, isn't, viable, anymore. Believe it or not there are steep discounts on ssd's that you should keep your eye out for, and while I can't suggest the Transcend product line I use because those are for mac users only, I do know that there are plenty of good sata2.5inch ssd's that, while slower than pciE x2gen3, are loads faster than any hdd. Seriously. It's 2019. There is no reason anyone in this day and age should be running their system on an hdd unless they legitimately cannot afford it, which is becoming more of a mute point now because ssd's are slowly but surely dropping in price. Come back to the issue once you've upgraded your drive, and if it's still lagging (shouldn't be lagging nearly as bad) then take a look at your programs, and uninstall any third party antivirus tools, and windows defender is sufficient enough. Besides, anyone knows that the best antivirus is common sense. Install noscript to get rid of autoplaying videos. Check the url that links lead to. Etc etc. Antiviruses only help to slow the system down, well except for Malware Bites as I've had good luck with that in the past, but it isn't something I personally feel the need to pay for.
But while NVDA has had! performance issues, I would venture to guess that most of the major lag is because you're using a dated storage medium.

2019-05-05 07:24:06

@107:
First of all, you're right about something. let me correct my mistake:
Thank you all, for your feedback. i do appriciate it. even though the topic got pritty much derailed, but many of you, did give some constructive feedback which is highly, greatly, appriciated.
Now, as for what you said:
Yes, you are right. Exactly why i wasn't choosing to reply to the topic in fear that the already going flamewar might intensify. Because, half of the community were either not ready to believe that these issues can be fixed (or even exist) just cause "the "majority" weren't facing them and the other half were more interested in derailing the topic and taking it where it wasn't supposed to go
But as i said, yes i did read the posts, and by what i said earlier, i meant i chose not to care about it as much because of the reasons i clerified above(i hope).
But, i should have given credit where credit is due, so yes thanks everyone for the feedback. Will try to keep whatever yall said in mind.
Now, as for coming up with a possible solution, that's why i asked for your help. and that's what i trust the devs should do(when the community fails).
I'm disappointed because i didn't expect this kind of a backlash though...
"instead of complaining, come up with a solution"
I think that's the reason why i openned this topic in the first place...
to ask for suggestions, to ask for help. in other words, to ask for a "possible solution".
I fail to understand the cause of all this fighting and drama.
However, i'd like to thank 107 for pointing out my mistakes.

Abay chal.

2019-05-05 10:35:52

@Jack: Whats wrong with good old harddrives? They still work fine.

2019-05-05 13:35:04

Hello.
I willl read through the rest of this topic in a bit, I only read the first post. But anyway I'm not getting these issues you speak of with NVDA. Intel Core I5 8 gb ram 512gb ssd. NVDA works well except for a few occasions like windows 10 explorer and stuff, anyway my CPU is usually around 5% to 10% average loadHey I have a tip for you, if you use a laptop, check your energy settings and set power plan to high performance. this fixes a lot of general speed bottlenecks.

ReferenceError: Signature is not defined.

2019-05-05 14:52:35

@ManFromTheDark: Nothing wrong with them for data storage, they just aren't viable as a primary anymore if you want consistent speed. And windows 10 does absolutely horrible on just about every hdd I've used it on. SSD's are almost the new norm as just about every new decent machine comes with one, and it's no problem to get a small ssd for OS storage and a spinning drive for plain old files.

2019-05-06 00:45:49

That's he setup I've got myself: an SSD on for my OS and for performance-critical applications (like games) but I've got an HDD that stoes my sounds collections and various other stuff that I access infrequently, or access irregularly.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-06 01:07:44

NVDA runs great on an SSD. My machine doesn't have one though. The Dell before this one did, but I had to take it back because of some hardware issues I suspected after the video driver crashed twice daily and the thing got hot enough to cook on. After buying a cooling stand for it, which solved the heat issue, but not the crashing issue, I then tried about 7 previous revisions of the graphics drivers and found a new BIOS / EFI update, none of which fixed it.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united