2019-05-05 13:32:30

Hi:

I'm going to be one of those who  somehow got the game to work and really impressed by what little I could do so far. Looking forward to playing when the accessibility features are plugged in.

When the wandering fire strikes the heart of stone, will you follow? Will you take ... the longest road?
Guy Gavriel Kay

discord: tayo134

2019-05-05 19:14:08 (edited by Origine 2019-05-05 19:16:09)

This game  looks exciting.

Here are few ideas for accessibility. I don't really lik the swipe thing because it gets tedious, but it's not incompatible with what I was thinking.

The idea is I'd like to quickly select an action. Now there are mutiple things to consider:

I'd place the actions in a grid. If there are typically 4 actions, then a 2x2 grid, if there are 6, a 2x3 or 3x2depending on the game's orientation. If in rare cases there are more choices, then the two bottom grid cell could be a next page and previous page. This needs to be rare though, otherwise this UI would get tedious. If there are fewer actions than the grid capacity, then those should remain silent.
There should be a very discrete sound when you switch focus to a new cell in the grid, because it's convenient, but we do not want to be distracted away from the imersion.

Ok, now for the actual focus and action selection.

If action texts are somewhat short:
Hold your finger on the screen, the focus snaps to the grid cell under your finger (either 2x2 or 2x3). The action is immediately read. If you release your finger, the action is selected, if you want to hear another action, move your finger over another grid cell without releasing.

If action texts are long:
Same thing, but releasing the finger will not select the action, you have to double tap to select the focused action.

Obviously you do not change the experience throughout the game, you choose one and you stick to it for consistency. Also, all of the actions could be read automatically at first, meaning that we do not even have to explore with our fingers, we would already know where to click to select a particular action, because we know how the grid is layed out.

If the actions are not read automatically, another experience would be to play a discrete sound after the game text is read. This is to avoid waiting asking ourselves if the text was finished reading and we can now inspect actions we can take. The game needs to be smooth and quick to navigate. When you test play it, make sure you go through all the episode and see how tedious the user experience you chose is.

Finally, do not break the imersion. This means that I wouldn't want to hear things like "To choose an action, place your finger on the screen, release to select" every game frame. All you need to do to explain the UI mechanics is a very small two frame tutorial which can be out of character and purely technical. In the game, expect people know how to use the UI, otherwise it's just gonna break the imersion which would be very sad.

Edit: You can copy this post to another website at will if easier for whatever reason.

Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another. ― Lemony Snicket

2019-05-06 11:28:28

this game is very inaccessible, but it does have potential. i'm happy to help in any way i can to get this game where it should be.

i may be tech mad, but i'm also audio games mad. be audio games mad with me laughing out loud.
Sam

2019-05-07 02:35:08

Hi.
Someone knows about the game? It's soo long of the last thing they said

I am a gamer from the begining of my life, and that will not change :p

2019-05-07 19:54:33

Developer sounds devoted to accessibility. I like it! Hope he makes it without too much stress

2019-06-07 18:05:14

Thank you for not losing interest!
It's so damn hard right now because we have to switch every few weeks between story writing, coding, marketing. We need to grow our community so we can make a successful kickstarter in a few months. Please spread the word wherever you can. Thank you.

We're almost there.
As I'm stating in my recent post here we've developed the core gameplay elements N.E.R.S., P.A.D., and X-ONAR already. In a few weeks, at the next coding session we'll start working on the Ear-mode exclusively.

So, please hold on! Testing is not that far off already and we are super excited smile

P.S. Are there actually content creators/writers here who would be interested in developing IAX (Interactive Audio Experience) content via our upcoming sonicS engine or online platform? If so I'd like to invite you to register here because the first 100 ambitious creators who join this movement will get free lifetime access to sonicS!

2019-06-07 18:09:00

@Origine Thank you so much for your ideas. Luckily most of them pretty much refelct our prototype draft. I'd like to go a little deeper into this:

1. The current action system P.A.D. (stands for Plan and Do) is made in a 3x4 grid, containing 12 actions. Honestly, I thought navigating through a grid would be too hard, so we planned to let you swipe up and down through all 12 actions. But after reading your points I understand, that it would be faster to navigate if you directly click the appropriate action because you know where it is in the grid.
Swiping up and down would be easy though and would be also present in other functions throughout the whole ear-mode.

Can others of you confirm that a grid would be indeed quicker and more convenient for you?

2. If we'd go with a grid, what would be the maximum grid size? I imagine 3x4 being too small in portrait mode (landscape mode is not supported)

3. As to tapping we will probably also use multi-touch to navigate higher in the hierarchy like the menu. I would go definitely with a double tap to confirm choice, just to avoid touch mistakes. Single tap would be a direct move to the specific grid.

4. As to knowing when the game text ends, the first action or answer is always read aloud and then the next one when you swipe through.

5. With the last one you nailed it. Immersion is key. And we don't want to break it ever. That's also a reason why we don't want to use voice over readers but rather create our own system voice.

I think that's all for now. Thanks again for your engagement, Origine!

2019-06-07 20:27:19

Frequency missing used a drag and drop system with audio indicators when on an option. I think that in a grid setting this could work.

2019-06-08 15:54:44

Hi,
as i've said multiple times in this topic, can't wait to play this in hear mode!.
This is my type of game, and even as it is now, i managed to go prety far in chapter 1.
there are timed choices in this game, right?. i'd like to have them as well in hear mode.
for example, near the begining of the game, you need to react fast to go back to the building, get your lighter, and go outside again. if you aren't quick enough, well... goodbye.
Don't know how you gonna implement it in hear mode, but if possible i'd love to have those, and all the puzzles.
and last but not least, i'll gladly contribute when the kickstarter becomes available.

bokura no daibouken 2 by yukionozawa. installer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 … _setup.exe
bokura no daiboukenn 3 by yukionozawa. download page:
http://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/nn3.html

2019-06-11 11:05:40

@mr.brunete Thank you, that's great to know. Would you be that kind to join our community - if you didn't already - so we know that you are one of our amazing supporters smile Thanks a lot!
There will be the same speed-choices in the ear-mode and we have ideas already how to implement them. Also, the puzzles will be there but in a slight different and more immersive way. I think you won't be disappointed smile

2019-06-12 20:41:41

it's done, i'm registered.
i've read your posts and it looks even better than before!.
can't wait for this ga... but yes, i can wait, cause i know it's worth the wait!.
keep up the great work.

bokura no daibouken 2 by yukionozawa. installer:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/897 … _setup.exe
bokura no daiboukenn 3 by yukionozawa. download page:
http://www.nyanchangames.com/softs/nn3.html

2019-06-13 08:08:53

Hi.
I don't remember if I registered. If I did, then I did it very long time ago. Do you have any link? I still have the game on my phone, and I look very much forward to check out the accessibility features. I'll gladly help by testing if possible.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-06-14 04:26:26

I would like to join. Whenever new accessibility features get added, if possible, I would be interested in testing them

If you wish to contact me privately, you can do so in the following ways.
Telegram, Rich_Beardsley. Discord, RichBeardsley. Facebook, Rich W. Beardsley
Twitter, RichBeardsley. Email, [email protected]. Both iMessages and emails are welcome.
Battle tag, Rich#12744. You can also add me through my email address.

2019-06-14 10:26:38

Great! You can join our community here.
Thank you!

2019-06-15 17:39:47

Great stuff.
I clicked the "Here" link, created an account and I'll wait for more instructions. smile

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-06-15 21:06:57

Hello there!

It's really great to hear that! As you remember (I hope smile ) I was the one who started the whole accessibility thing and contacted you. I am so happy you moved forward and the project is going on. Me and my girl (she is sighted) are loving the game so far! Even she is waiting to see more stuff, including EAR mode and experience the adventure with closed eyes! smile

I actually registered a while ago and I hope We'll be in touch. smile
Continue the great work!

Twitter
Add me on Steam
Discord: lirintheblindguy
BattleTAG: Lirin#21759

2019-06-19 23:27:32

I downloaded this on my phone, but talkback doesn't read anything. am i missing something?

2019-06-20 00:23:53

It's being worked on.

2019-06-20 14:00:26

hi guys, i downloaded this in my iphone, when i open the game, voiceover doesn't read anything, did i made something rong,  or do i need to edit something

And as anyone who's gone mountain climbing knows ,The serene snow-covered peaks that look so tranquil from a bdistance, Are the deadliest
sound is my vision
i rarely check my private messages on the forum, so if you want to contact me please use my email, or dm me  at oussama40121 on tw

2019-06-20 14:07:02

Very interested in this type of game! And yes, I can confirm that a grid wouldn't be a problem, for me at list.

2019-06-20 14:07:36

They are still working on it guys, it is not done yet.
People really don’t read the topic at all... I would never do that... Shhh don’t tell them I have the game installed because I didn’t read the topic... that’s not the point...

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
Carl Sagan

2019-08-27 17:14:30

Hey Fans Of Story Driven Entertainment!

A first small bit of the N.E.R.S. module is ready to be tested (including an ear-mode prototype). Do not expect too much, because it's very short but you will get a feeling for it and will be able to give a feedback if this is the direction we should go.

I’d like to encourage you to read our new blog post here and also join our community here, so we could have a discussion altogether in one single place.
You should get a Test-Flight invitation by the end of the day if Apple will give me a smooth app-sign-process which unfortunately is not always the case.

So long.

2019-08-27 18:11:24

This is wonderful! May i please get an invitation?

Hopefully, we'll get a fully accessible open world game someday.

2019-08-28 00:29:44

Hi, I rememver sending an email to sign up to the betatesting, but I never got a response.

2019-08-28 12:44:17

@RTT entertainment
@ulisesmonge39
Hey guys, if you either joined our community or emailed your address we should have you in our data base. All testers are added already. Unfortunately the apple review process for each update is pretty slow so there is nothing we can do now but wait. When it's approved every tester automatically gets a Test Flight invitation.