2019-05-04 16:46:20 (edited by tyrylu 2019-05-05 15:43:00)

Hello.
One of my friends is currently making a bachelor's thesis, and as his topic, he chose audio game development (yes, he knows many visually impaired people). :-) The game is basically an artillery style game in which you control a tank and you have to hit your enemies. However, you can only move on the map and adjust your firing angle and the firing power.
See https://tojik.cz/artilecho/ for more details and the download link.
Unfortunately, he has still a restricted account, so you'd better join the IRC chat room mentioned on the website.

2019-05-04 23:08:26

This is a very cool game. I recommend it to yall guys.
There's a somewhat steep learning curve, but after you know everything it becomes a good time killer.

2019-05-05 03:03:30

I can't download it it says the test is over

2019-05-05 03:04:31

Aww. I saw this topic 10 hours after the initial post though, the test seems to have been over. Sad.

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-05-05 03:26:08

This is quite sad. I was never able to play a game.

2019-05-05 03:26:24

I loved this game when it was alive.
I do wish he had given us more time to play with it but you know.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-05-05 04:04:25

can it still be downloaded? Would be interested to try it.

Make more of less, that way you won't make less of more!
If you like what you're reading, please give a thumbs-up.

2019-05-05 08:10:12

Hi this looks so cool i wish i could test it as well it sounds like fun

regards
Hannes Fouche
Access gaming my YouTube channel https://youtube.com/channel/UC8CshzvGHEy2eR5L86nMM5A

2019-05-05 08:19:50 (edited by redfox 2019-05-05 08:20:05)

@7, it can't, it runs off a server, and the server isn't up, cause he has to run it off his motem.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-05-05 11:19:42

Yeah, the game was really good. The timing of the test could have been a bit better so more people could have played it. I think this was the first time something like this was done in audio. For people that haven't managed to play, imagine shell shock but instead of just having to deal with wind, in additional to setting the angle and power of your shot you have choice of different weapons, you can move yourself around the map and the terrain has different heights and the shots people make cause it to deform.

I filled out the questionaire and one of the suggestions I made is that the server also be made publically available. It looks like the client has configuration files that let you have it connect to a different address and port

<Insert passage from "The Book Of Chrome" here>

2019-05-05 11:27:30 (edited by Dark 2019-05-05 11:27:59)

Damnation!  I saw this one yesterday afternoon, but didn't download it since Mrs. Dark and I were just about to have some tea.

The description sounded pretty awesome, I've always rather fancied trying a mech warfare game, and though these are obviously tanks not mechs   it still sounds pretty cool.

i really hope the dev  either puts a server back up or lets people host their own games.

Oh, and perhaps includes some computer opponents too so that people learning the game will have someone to practice on.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-05 11:44:38

Yeah me to actually, also didn't really get around playing it, but the concept sounds awesome.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-05-05 12:02:20

The game was damn good. It's sad that it's no longer available.

2019-05-05 15:27:49

Hi, I am sorry about taking the game down, but there are soo many problems with it and I don't have the time to deal with them right now. First, I want to have a tutorial that does not suck, the one i have kind of does. Second, the server (my router dual-core ARM, 2GB RAM) is in Czechia, so it's good for games in Europe, but the connection with America... yea not so hot. There is no reconnection thing anywhere in the game, so if the connection fails, the client freezes, and that does happen more than i'd like. Finally, why don't I have time? I am supposed to finish writing my bachelor's thesis on 16th of May and i focused more on the game than on the thesis writing so I am behind af. After that, there is the exam somewhere in June and if everything goes smoothly, i will be back working on the game around July. Thank you for your understanding

2019-05-05 15:45:56 (edited by nyanchan 2019-05-05 15:46:11)

@Tojik
Thank you for your clarification, and good luck with your bachelor's thesis! I have to write my bachelor's thesis within a year, too! wo!

I don't speak as good as I write, and I don't listen as good as I speak.

2019-05-05 17:22:51

Sorry about the timing issues there @Tojik and good luck with the thesis, having just got my phd in January of this year I definitely understand the problem of deadlines.

however, as you will gather from this topic, lots of people, even those like me who didn't get the chance to try the alpha are extremely interested in this style of game, so whenever you do get chance to work on the game and perhaps look at other hosting options, it will certainly be much appreciated.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-05-06 16:14:36

Dam, Even I didn't get to try out this game, but it seemed to be a good one going by what people have said.
I always like offline games as well as online ones, so maybe if the game is still in it's development stages, 1 suggestion is to release two modes of play... the offline, singleplayer mode, and the online, PVP mode

Though our eyes may fail, our ears prevail!
User Karma, every little helps

2019-05-06 23:20:16

I agree that an offline mode would be nice. I'm weird about playing online with real people on a game I've never tried before, because I know I'm going to suck, and I'll be so in my head about it that I'll end up playing even worse and proving my theory right. Anyway, sorry to hear about the deadlines, I'm sure most people will be understanding of that. I look forward to actually getting to play once you do have time to pick the project up again.

The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It's just holding half the amount it can potentially hold.

2019-05-07 08:17:27

Hi.
I look forward to try the game in the future. Sounds great.

Best regards SLJ.
Feel free to contact me privately if you have something in mind. If you do so, then please send me a mail instead of using the private message on the forum, since I don't check those very often.
Facebook: https://facebook.com/sorenjensen1988
Twitter: https://twitter.com/soerenjensen

2019-08-09 13:21:53

Hope this game comes back sometime

2019-08-09 19:51:39

does anyone have a recording of it, so we can know what we were missing.

2019-08-09 22:33:33

@21, Sadly i didn't eeven thought to record the gameplay.

2019-08-10 21:56:51

It sounds like pocket tanks for blind people. Does anyone know if there are other games like this?

2019-08-12 21:28:13

arcadia wrote:

It sounds like pocket tanks for blind people. Does anyone know if there are other games like this?

There is this game, but i never played it.

Also yes, I am alive and I passed my final exams. I started working on the game yesterday. The main concern now is the connection instability.

I don't want to release the game because everybody would experience it in its very broken state and I am not sure they would give it a second chance once it becomes decent.

Anyway thank you for sticking around, the recent activity on this thread really helped to bump this project up the stack of things I want to do.

2019-08-13 17:15:07

I'm happy that the game is being worked on again.