2019-04-30 00:06:54

hey all,
So this is an issue I've been having for a very long time, about as long as I've been using envelopes in reaper, actually.
I do a lot of mixing of sounds in reaper, and in order for them to mix properly I have to disable ripple editing to prevent fading where it isn't supposed to fade.
Only problem with that is any envelopes I define anywhere absolutely explode out into a billion versions of themselves spanning a period of time. I think I can see why it does it, but how do I make it not do that?
I need to be able to mix sounds reliably and also not fuck over my envelope points, which is really the only reason I adjust the ripple editing behavior. Anyone out there having similar issues and know of any workarounds?
FYI, this happens with any envelope, volume, effects, pan, etc.
Thanks!

2019-04-30 00:24:47

It does it to me too and I don't know why. It seems to be when I copy and paste on that same track, but it might be from other causes too, but I have no idea about a solution.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-30 01:21:47

uh... can you describe the process for this? how are you doing your automation is it manual or using a device?
Ripple does not have much to do with this, IMO

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-04-30 02:19:23

manual, like described in the formerly paid reaper courses.
And yes, I have tried mixing with items set to items always mix with ripple on and it does things I don't want it to, though I understand why it does it.

2019-04-30 02:20:12

I don't have a control surface, for me it's manually. It matters not whether ripple is on or off really, and that doesn't impact envelopes directly anyway.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-30 19:54:08

paid reaper courses but no procedure really being described... well.. lets try something simple,
1. Open a project, then Insert just a song or whatever
2. Select the track and press control applications or open the second context menu in mack (command 2) and enable pan envelope.
3. Select the track again, press control L to find the pan envelope for the track, then Insert a point (using control shift I) then alt shift E to edit, and Set pan 70% left at around bar 5, beat 2.
4. Do the same as above but then set pan to 40% right at around bar 10, beat 1
Now, navigate between points using alt j or k, you should have three of them. Is this right?

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

2019-04-30 21:40:35

yup, that works as it should.
The problem is later on if I start doing things in other tracks or even on the same track, hundreds of envelope points that I did not define will appear.
I hope this helps?

2019-04-30 23:19:47

I have never encountered that... to be honest. I mainly do automation when mixing, at the end of a recording when I have all my takes set and I know that is exactly what I want in the end product... I have done automation in more than one track too and had never had this issue. Maybe if you are moving items around?   there must be one step of the whole workflow which might be causing this but I am really not sure which one it would be since i have no more info to work with...

2019-05-05 10:44:23

I've never seen control surfaces, so I'd be interested to learn about them. I am currently taking the audio ins and outs course and then I will be listening to the Reaper lectures either next week or the week after.

Ulysses, KJ7ERC
She/they
Reedsy