2019-04-30 22:41:20

Hi,
I was wondering if at all it would be possible, either through pm or through email, to receive a response to a report?
I realise this could be heavy on the moderators, but I am talking, perhaps, just an automated:
"Your report has been seen by the administration team. Thank you for submitted."
If you implemented an optional comment field, too, it could say:
"The administrator had no further comments."
or:
"The administrator says: Actually, you are a complete muppet because what you reported is an icecream van, from which I have now bought a hotdog."

I feel this would greatly improve staff to user interaction.
Thanks!

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-04-30 22:44:47

I think this would help a graite deal.

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-05-01 09:44:50

I like the idea. The issue is one of coding. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to add.

Check out my Manamon text walkthrough at the following link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z8ls3rc3f4mkb … n.txt?dl=1

2019-05-01 16:42:48 (edited by Ethin 2019-05-01 16:43:32)

Well, its not addable (or is it?) anyway unless Senderman / Ritchard are willing to step up and *actually do their job*. Hate to throw out criticism like that but the... lack... I guess, in maintaining the forum server-side and extremely sporadic posts and general updates gives me the impression that they're not up to actually maintaining the site any more. I get that they have jobs, a life, and all, but seriously this is pushing it in regards to acceptability.
Coding it might be hard... or it might not. I'd try to do it myself if I knew the forum code, but I don't. Plus PMs aren't a default feature, so that would complicate things.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-01 20:24:02

I do seriously wonder if there's anything we can do. Like, let's say we got someone who knows html and php who could add stuff, but report back to Richard and Sanda if that's what it took, rather than them handing the whole domain over. So, Richard and Sendermen would very much still be involved.

2019-05-01 23:34:20

I would be happy to help if I could

Nathan Smith
Managing Director of Nathan Tech
It's not disability
It's ability!

2019-05-02 02:26:31

@5, and that leads us back to the stuff I posted in four. Their lazyness (it really seems like lazyness, anyway) on willing to do *anything* to the site unless its absolutely necessary makes fixing, adding, extending, etc., the forum in any way impossible.

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!]: 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out ?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."    — Charles Babbage.
My Github

2019-05-02 07:25:24

Yeah I kinda have to agree with Ethin.  What ever the reason really is, this site is really quite old and missing allot of useful modern features that would be considered standard on other forums.
Half the changes we've suggested lately seem to run into this wall of oh, yeah, that would be great! But it'll never happen because no one is going to code it/update the forum software to something that can already do that.

2019-05-02 10:31:33

I do not even know if Richard and Sendermen are on the staff list anymore, that's how silent they are.
By the way, within the coming week there's going to be an admin update (I really might need to think of a different name as I'd love to get other staff involved with their own statements), since I didn't seem to do this over the past few months. It'll be a quarterly update for this particular instance with all of my thoughts on what's transpired so far.
Why?
Because, essentially, phase 1 is complete. It's the only way I can describe it. There's no real upcoming phases though. I didn't actually plan out phases, but the way it's gone, it's the only way I can describe it.
Also, we just scraped the deadline. The deadline was end of April 2019, and that deadline got hit on May 1, with the final part of the plan being the introduction of the rules to the actual rules page. It needs tweaking, as it's the visual styling that might be messed up and I might have to do better with the heading conventions, but it's there. It's better that the main bulk is now there because as we go, we will be able to tweak things. So, within the past four months... I'd say, success.
What's next for the community? Well, I'm going to be sending a message to the list today, because I don't exactly know. During the various discussions of drama, other points have been popping up on list that could be interesting, so I will be looking into those.
Stay tuned. I think things can only go up from here, I really do.

2019-05-02 14:29:32

This is bordering on the absurd. If the site admins cannot or will not handle things server side, they should transfer the server to someone who is willing, or shut the site down. We can't get anything fixed, or anything implemented and it's annoying in the extreme. I can understand not wanting to deal with it after nearly 15 years, I really can. At that point though, as I said, some action to put it into the hands of someone who is willing is necessary.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-02 14:30:48

Oh, and the topic at hand, I don't think a feature like this would be useful. It's just fluff. We know the reports go in as they should, because action is taken, and reference is made via the mods about reports, so we know it works. I am not into fluff stuff like that, it just gives the appearance the wheels are turning freely, when indeed, who really knows what's going on behind the scenes.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-02 15:07:08

I agree with defender and, to an extent, ironcross32 here. I disagree on this being 'fluff', as many forums most likely do it. But yes, Senderman and Ritchard need to transfer the domain and the server into someone elses hands or shut the damn thing down altogether. We can literally get nothing done because of their lazyness and refusal and (dare I accuse them of such) grab for power. Yes, I accused them of being power-hungry even though I don't think that's the case. It is a possibility though, however unlikely, purely because they haven't done aything and I'd think that anyone sensible would realize by this point that, "Hey, I don't have very much time, if any, to manage this domain. Might I want to transfer this to someone else?"

My Github

2019-05-02 16:06:35

Not even exagerating when i say this will probably never happen. I say this because Richard and Senderman don't even respond on the mods mailing list, which they are apart of. When i say never, i mean never. We'll probably have to bring someone on board with coding skills who could change things, but the truth is we don't own the site, so who knows.

2019-05-03 23:38:20

OK, let's imagine you found a PHP programmer who is willing to help you.
Great, OK, but how do you access the server if you even do not have it?

If you want to contact me, do not use the forum PM. I respond once a year or two, when I need to write a PM myself. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Telegram: Nuno69a
E-Mail: nuno69a (at) gmail (dot) com

2019-05-03 23:45:20

Off Topic: Nuno, what does your signature mean and what language is it in? French?

----------
“Yes, sir. I am attempting to fill a silent moment with non-relevant conversation.”
“You don’t tell me how to behave; you’re not my mother!”
“Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.” – Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

2019-05-04 20:35:19

Yeah so we're essentially stuck in the doldrums. Why then, of all the bloody foolish things to do, would they port over to panBB then just dessert the site, sheesh, but that makes no sense.

In that case, all the mods resign, all the admins resign, what is the point of any of it, and let the place implode in on itself.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-05 17:08:42

time to notify richard and this sendemen (sorry for wrong spelling) guy.
Off topic: redfox, it's polish.

Yours kindly

2019-05-06 00:24:09

This is why me, Arqmeister and the rest of the team are still hoping to keep the community going with what we've got, it is annoying that we can not add features currently.

2019-05-06 06:17:54

Hi,
to the first post, not necessary, and adds more things for the mods to do as if what they have to do right now isn't already enough.
To the rest, I say don't fix what ain't broken, and to have discussions and throw insults / have flame wars the like we don't need require aditional features, if you think you do, and this forum doesn't suit your feature rich requirements, bye bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out. wink
Grryf

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these, ‘It might have been.
Follow me on twitter

2019-05-06 18:50:31

If you don't like it, go start a new website. All you can do. screaming about it will most likely get you nowhere and does nothing other than make you look like you have too much time on your hands.

2019-05-07 04:21:22

@19 and 20, I fully disagree with your posts. This forum is so far behind its not even funny in regards to what modern forums are expected to have. Us asking for mods to be able to respond to reports in an automated way normally wouldn't be hard to do if it weren't for the fact that the two admins -- who are the main ones -- don't give two shits about the site. That in itself is a very, very bad thing.

My Github

2019-05-07 12:21:25

Are you referring to admins as in me and Arqmeister, or Richard and Sendermen who have the title webmaster, from what I remember?

2019-05-07 16:58:15

Like i said, it's been nothing but radio silence from the web masters, draw your own conclusions.

2019-05-07 21:34:05

@19 and @20 Your hostile attitudes do not help. I'm certainly not saying we need every new feature under the sun, but to have webmasters who are unavailable for extended periods makes no sense. I'm not saying they need to be on call, as it were, dropping everything they're doing and running to fix problems and import new code / code new features from scratch; however, it is concerning when they cannot even keep in touch with their own staff. Running a site does not just consist of adding new features, and I think while some of these would be nice, they're certainly not required. There is some level of maintenance that wouldn't go amiss. Most notably, fixing the login page to work over SSL to avoid that error. Secondly, I don't think anyone was screaming, expressing concerns, yes (even frustrations), but not screaming. Now, if it is your assertion that we may not express frustration on a chronic issue, then the door, gentlemen, is right over there, and don't worry, it's one of those chef style ones that swings back shut again, so I'd say, if you plan to use it, it would be best to make your way through it before you get flaky white paint on your shirt/trousers.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-05-07 22:10:32 (edited by Ethin 2019-05-07 22:21:24)

@22-23, I was referring to the webmasters. 24 is right, and that's what I've been saying throughout this entire topic. I don't want them to be on call, like ironcross32 said, but what I do want is them to *actually show that they care* about the site. That does not just include running the site; that also means, if necessary, performing the proper duties of a sysadmin, if they are self-hosting the forum. But this long period of radio silence, as 23 put it, is a very, very bad thing. What if a critical vulnerability in PanBB is discovered, for example, that makes it possible for any user to escalate their access rights to that of a full admin by just sending a special string via URL parameters, or via a special payload in any of the numerous forms that this website has that are available to guests and regular users. If the webmasters aren't around, how do we know that such a vulnerability would actually be fixed? This radio silence is putting this entire site in a very compromising position in regards to security (ad many other things) that may happen in the future, and I do not consider that a good thing.

My Github