2010-12-02 21:17:45 (edited by sabrina 2010-12-02 22:54:00)

Hi! I know this may be a very wierd question, but it's for a relative. She got a doll as a birthday present and she wonders if it's a fairy or a mermaid. She has got attachable wings that also works for blowing soap bubbles through. She has got a tail, but it isn't really a mermaid tail. She has got what we think is a rose in her left hand and she has got long hair. I'm not sure about the hair colour since I am blind and can't see. She isn't wearing much. She also came with a "lizardman" or whatever I can call it. I think it maybe can change colour or something in water, but I don't know about that either. Cate, the girl, says that it doesn't really matter what Melody is; she is just curious. She has made me curious too. Is this a mermaid or a fairy? Oh and the tail is, like I may have said, more of the backwards and not really like a mermaid. She isn't very big and she has got tactile eyebrows I think. Her hair is very long.

I live to crochet!

2010-12-02 23:13:16 (edited by Aprone 2010-12-02 23:22:26)

My wife found it.  It is the Fairytopia doll from the Barbie toy line.  The doll is, in fact, a mermaid AND a fairy!  It is categorized it as a water-fairy, and their toys are following the idea that there would be forest fairies, water fairies, flower fairies, and so forth.  There are 2 that fit your description, a pink one has 2 bundles of hair on top and the teal one has 1 bundle of hair on top of her head.  The "lizardman" doesn't show up in any of the product descriptions or images so we are assuming it didn't actually come with the fairytopia doll.

Her best guess on the lizard man is the "Spiderman friends Super Heroes" color changing lizard man.  It would have come with a donut shaped tube that floats like a raft.  He is wearing a white unbuttoned lab coat exposing his chest and midsection.  Another identifiable physical trait is that he has very large forearms, hands, and feet (without shoes).  If the one she has seems to fit this description, this is probably what she has.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-12-03 00:45:54

Wow! I would quite love to see such a doll one day, not exactly to get it but just to get a feel of what it looks like. It had to be pretty expensive. I wonder if it's made of some kind of plastic or if its surface resembles or attempts to resemble human skin or fur or scales of some sort to the touch, or anything like that. I believe it would be fascinating to feel a humanoid figure that has a skin like surface. Although it would be artificial, of course, and therefore might have a scary or unnatural feel about it, I would just love to run my hands over such a thing just for the sake of satisfying my curiosity. :-)
Lukas

I won't be using this account any more or participating in the forum activity through other childish means like creating an alternate account. I've asked for the account to be removed but I'm not sure if that's actually technically possible here. Just writing this for people to know that I won't be replying, posting new topics or checking private messages until the account is potentially removed.

2010-12-03 03:02:26

I was going to suggest Nyad actually, as in griekk water nymph.

They were generally depicted as more human like than the standard mermaid, though they didn't have wings.

They also turn up in the Narnia books, and it's often speculated that tolkien based tom bombadil's wife Goldberry on them.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2010-12-04 19:26:43

Thank you Aprone. She has got the pink one, as it has got two bundles. And you are probably right about the lizardman too as it seems to fit your description. Me and Cate are very intrested in fairies, magic, princesses and such. I know the barbie movies are for children, but they have a lot of content and they aren't inappropriate in any way like adult movies are. And they are so touchingly beautiful. Well, I find this Water-fairy quite comfortable in texture. Her hair feels realistic annd I think it can change colour, but I'm not sure. This may be true for the wings too.

I live to crochet!

2010-12-04 19:38:37

Glad we could help Sabrina, although the credit should go to my wife for looking it up lol.  She is quite eager to help when she can, but she wasn't registered on the forum yet.  As far as I can remember, the fairy didn't change colors, but I'll have to double check with Jennifer.  I know that something about the lizard man does change colors though.  I think it was his skin but again, I'll have to ask my wife when she wakes up.

- Aprone
Please try out my games and programs:
Aprone's software

2010-12-04 21:06:43

Hi Sabrina. This is Aprone's Wife. From what I have found the fairy does not change color at all. Her main feature is the wings that you can make bubbles with. I'm sure she would be lots of fun to play with in a bubble bath, both kids and adults enjoy those. The lizard man or Dr Curt Connors, as he is known in the spider-man cartoon, should change skin color from green to peach. Because he had a potion that could change him back to his human self for awhile. Here is a website about him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lizard_%28comics%29 .

Lukas, while the image of the lizard man that you are thinking of would be cool, this toy does not feel like a lizard. I believe that Sabrina's child relative said lizard man because she saw it was green and had a large mouth, large eyes and bald head but has a body shape of a human action figure. Sadly it has a plastic feel to it, just as many of the other action figures out there. I believe it even has plastic clothes that don't come off. It is a toy made for preschoolers but fun for all.

Hope this helps.