2019-04-24 10:11:20

Hello!

It's rare if i make any topics, but now it's the time for one.

So, as the subject says, I am having a little problem with Crazy Party and hosting a server on it.
I know the problem, and I'd like to know if there's any solution for it.
So. My internet service gave me a private IP address, meaning it's hidden. Even if I open the required ports, it doesn't work. I can't request a public one since the service is not under my name, and my parents, ugh, I wouldn't risk letting them to request one. big_smile

Could a VPN solve this thing, or are there other solutions for this?
If a VPN could solve it, what programmes would you recommend for creating a VPN? Most of the programmes I've tried before, aren't accessible at all.

Thanks for any kind of help!

2019-04-25 11:55:50

hey friend same problem here with my i s p also   wanted to host  road to rage but cannot  all cause of  port wont worc or  ip problems  vpn  is proper acceseble

2019-04-25 15:56:43

To get your public IP, go to whatsmyip.com or whatever, many services like it. Anyway, it is possible to do some tricky things where you open a tunnel with programs like teamviewer, but it's a bit o a mess.

I am a web designer, and a game developer. If you wish see me at http://www.samtupy.com

2019-04-25 17:32:15 (edited by Chris 2019-04-25 17:33:17)

A lot of these issues could be fixed by offering a central server or server application. I could host the server on my Linux VPS and people could connect with no issues.

In your case, you will need to allow incoming traffic to pass through your network firewall and get to your computer over UDP port 2500. You will have to access the configuration page for your networking equipment. If you're using a cell phone or other form of tethering, I don't think port forwarding is possible. If it is, you'll have to contact your provider and ask if it can be done.

Grab my Adventure at C: stages Right here.

2019-04-25 19:00:47

fyber networks is knone to have problems like that

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2019-04-25 19:40:20 (edited by Destranis 2019-04-25 19:40:41)

Uh well. With my friend we tried to forward the port manually but it even didn't work, so this is weird, really, really weird.

2019-04-25 21:16:36

then your internet is a fyber

Suffering's what keeps me alive.
If one never suffers, one doesn't live propperly.
So embrace the pain, the suffering life has brought you and will bring you in the future

2019-04-26 01:36:48 (edited by Chris 2019-04-26 01:46:19)

You might be behind two layers of NAT. I used to help people and ran into this same issue. If you have two routers, this can happen as each one has its own firewall and routing table. Even if you forward the port on your primary router, traffic won't come through because the firewall in front of that won't let anything past. Think of it like opening your bedroom door while keeping the front door closed. People outside your house can't get into your bedroom without first going through the front door, so if the front door is closed, nothing is getting through even though your bedroom door is open.

Anyway, do the following to test this. Open a command prompt window, type tracert 8.8.8.8, and press enter. This will try to trace the path between you and Google's DNS servers, listing all devices in between. If you see a second private IP address after your default gateway address, it means you're dealing with double NAT. If you see a public IP address for your ISP, you're fine. Private IP addresses fall into one of three groups. If you see an address starting with 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x through 172.31.x.x, or 10.0.0.x, those are all private IP addresses that can't be used on the Internet.

If you're dealing with double NAT, plug the second private IP address into your address bar to access the configuration page of your modem or what ever device is in front of your primary router. You will have to set your primary router in the DMZ which will allow all connections to pass to it. Then simply open the port on your primary router as you normally would and traffic should be able to come in.

If none of that made sense, here's a common situation. You receive a modem from your ISP that also acts as a router and switch. It has its own firewall and allows devices to connect to the Internet. Let's say you go out and purchase a Netgear router and connect it to the equipment your ISP gave you. This is double NAT. You may be trying to change settings on your Netgear router, but it does no good because the firewall from the ISP equipment is still working. As a result, you need to put your Netgear router into the DMZ of your ISP equipment.

This is waaaaay too complicated! Please make a server application soon! It's only making it harder and more frustrating for players to play and have fun. I will gladly host a Crazy Party server on my Linux VPS if and when said application is created.

2019-04-26 06:21:21

Agreed with chriss, its just not great when Pragma is getting requests from other players offering to host the central server for him and him not acting yet. While this is not attacking Pragma or anything it just needs to be done due to the fact that there is a lot of players arround for crazy party.

2019-04-26 09:06:29 (edited by Chris 2019-04-26 09:11:09)

The server wouldn't have to do a bunch of really high level stuff either. All it needs to do is be a central place for people to connect to and play. Players connect and can then view other online players, start a new game that others can join, or join an existing game. The server would handle passing messages back and forth on behalf of all connected players.

Basically, the idea is to get rid of the challenges and frustrations associated with port forwarding. I don't know how his server list exactly works, but my thought is to essentially list the IP address and port for a hosted server in this list for people to choose. When they do, they get a menu that says something like list players, host new game, and join existing game. Choosing join or new would bring up the standard menus to select the game mode like Battle, Minigames, etc. No one except the server owner would be concerned with maintenance, port forwarding rules, etc, etc, etc.

Considering how popular this game is, I'm surprised this hasn't been done already. As I've said before, I am more than willing to immediately host a server once the application comes out. Just bundle the server program with the game. My $5 a month Linode should be able to handle such a server with no issues.

2019-04-26 13:27:34

So, i checked dmz, i forwarded the port, and nothing. Yes, i have a private IP address, but it turned out that i can't host at all on CP, so sadly, that's it.

2019-04-26 18:21:28 (edited by Chris 2019-04-26 18:27:15)

Did you check to see if you're behind another firewall? That's most likely the reason if your manual port forward rule didn't work. Also, don't put your computer in the DMZ of the router where port forwarding didn't work, because that does no good. The other firewall is still blocking connections, even though your router is technically allowing all traffic to pass to your computer.

Instead, put your router in the DMZ of the other device that directly faces the Internet. This means that all traffic coming in passes through the first device and then hits the second firewall and router. That firewall should keep most unwanted things out, except for the things you've specified in manual port forward rules. Don't use the DMZ on the second device, because you're opening up either your entire network or a specific device to all incoming requests from the open Internet. Also disable UPNP on everything! UPNP allows any application to open ports at any time which is a huge security risk.

Bleh! Why must this be so complicated? I remember how frustrating it was 9 years ago when I didn't know nearly as much about computer networking as I do now. There's no excuse for all this port forwarding nonsense when you can easily buy server resources at a very cheap price. I love my Linode! I pay $5 a month, but I don't worry about the physical machine at all. If the machine fails, or a natural disaster occurs, that's not my problem. The people managing the physical machines deal with it. The same goes for power consumption and air conditioning.

2019-04-26 19:21:41

I don’T  agree with  multiple central servers because it will be hard to find players 1 centrol server or no thanks. Also sam said that will rekwire rerighting of online play from scratch which is hard to do

2019-04-27 14:06:35

Uh Chris, to be honest, i'm not a huge IT guy so I may sound stupid but I don't know where to check if I'm behind two firewalls. We don't have multiple devices, only this stupid router which loses its' configuration every time we reboot it, so it's just weird. So if you could help me with that, maybe step by step if you have enough time for my stupid brain, we could solve it somehow. big_smile

2019-04-27 16:29:10 (edited by Chris 2019-04-28 20:43:26)

Go ahead and send me a forum email or tweet @slannon97 on Twitter. I can try to help you further. I really hope you're not using a cellular connection because from what I can tell, those are impossible to port forward.

Multiple central servers may not be the best idea, but it's bettter than trying to go through the hassle of that port forwarding crap! Port forwarding may not be possible depending on where you are and what network you're using. Playing a multiplayer game like this shouldn't be so frustrating! What I don't understand is why there's a central server list, but not a server. What exactly is it doing? Is it a text file on the web server that's constantly updated with the names, IP addresses, and port numbers for people as they create peer to peer public servers?

2019-04-27 17:46:58

Chris wrote:

Go ahead and send me a forum email or tweet @slannon97 on Twitter. I can try to help you further. I really hope you're not using a cellular connection because from what I can tell, those are impossible to port forward.

Multiple central servers may not be the best idea, but it's bettter than trying to go through the hastle of that port forwarding crap! Port forwarding may not be possible depending on where you are and what network you're using. Playing a multiplayer game like this shouldn't be so frustrating! What I don't understand is why there's a central server list, but not a server. What exactly is it doing? Is it a text file on the web server that's constantly updated with the names, IP addresses, and port numbers for people as they create peer to peer public servers?

Its a php file on his website, i think