2019-04-21 16:59:55 (edited by Caccio72 2019-04-21 17:18:47)

My current favorite MUD is called Xylomer.

I can recommend it to all those MUDders, who prefer skill based progress over level based one, just like how I do.
So, one progresses, increases his skill in the game by performing activities, and not by leveling up, and weapons, armor, equipment are not level-dependent either, for there is no general level for characters at all.
And no other type of limitations either, like map, area, quest dependence, etc, you can go wherever you want, and do whatever you want, at your own risk of course.

It is a classic, fantasy-theme MUD, containing everything such an MUD should feature, has a not too large, but very helpful and active community, (including its very friendly staff of course), it is totally accessiblefor us, very easily playable with screen reader, but some of its numerous options can still be changed to improve game performance even further for us, and the staff will gladly help regarding those.
(for example, towns are not too large, more like of a middle size, so I doubt anyone will have any orientation-problems/troubles inside their gates, but even then, there exist several settings which can be changed, adjusted in order to make finding your way around even easier)

Xylomer is of course totally free to play, only donations are possible, so there are no payment-restricted features, equipment, locations, activities, etc in the game.

So again, I warmly recommend it to all those of you, who like playing classic, fantasy-theme MUDS with levelless, skill based progress.

Based on all what I told above, I suggest Xylomer to be added to the audiogames.net game database.

Mud address:
mud.xyllomer.de
port: 3000

Cheers, and happy MUDding to those interested!

Caccio
from Hungary

2019-04-21 18:11:08

Thanks Caccio I've not heard ot his one, though this should probably be in new releases.
Anyway, can you say a bit more about the mud? for example, what sort of crafts are possible, and if you don't have quests, what do you do? Can you sell goods, perform jobs for npcs, hunt creatures for food etc.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
Our souls with high music ringing; O men! It must ever be
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-21 18:12:11

does it have a sound pack?

Paul

2019-04-21 18:22:44

Okay I've been to https://www.xyllomer.de/ and had a quick poke around the website.

On the plus side there do seem to be a lot of skills, on the down side this seems really! heavy on the in game rp and less of the actual exploring and solo activities, EG  apparently need to register somewhere to trade, which I think requires talking to another player, you can't just go and chop trees down and then sell them to an Npc, though of course I'm just going from the getting started guides and so on here.

With our dreaming and singing, Ceaseless and sorrowless we! The glory about us clinging Of the glorious futures we see,
That we dwell in our dreaming and singing, A little apart from ye. (Arthur O'Shaughnessy 1873.)

2019-04-21 18:33:06

I checked it out for a bit, it's kind of simmular with jeas , not sure wich mud came first though.

2019-04-21 21:11:22 (edited by Caccio72 2019-04-21 21:34:47)

Well to answer to your questions, and reply to the comments:

1st of all, it's by far not a new MUD, it's also running since early 90s I guess, it's just that I, and obviously you too have somehow missed it by now.
I found it on a page tracking top MUDs, was in the top 20 when I checked it now, was nowhere near it before.
http://www.topmudsites.com/

As for its gameplay, it's indeed quite similar to Geas, (also from german developers, but accordingly not the same ones), but it has a somewhat larger world, more towns, races, skills, activities...so it's a richer game in general.

Dark, can you please specify what you mean by "crafts"?
Crafting, or something else?

As for role-playing aspect, yes, its description indeed sounds very role-play centric, but in fact it's by far not as role-play sensitive as Miriani for example, you won't get immediately warned or penalized the moment you happen to tell something OOC to another character, , there are even 2 ways to communicate ooc, either use the @tell command instead of simply tell, or there is a specified OOC area of the game those wishing to talk OOC can enter, by typing @ before their character name when logging in.
Also, there is a command @nline for those newer players, who have OOC type questions about the game.
I talked about OOC issues with lots of other characters in the game so far, and none of them ever protested, warned, or reported me, (including wizards, aka game admins), one of them merely suggested me to use that @tell command to make it obvious, so no warnings, sanctions, penalties, etc.

As for quests, there are probably enough of those too, given by NPC characters we meet, (I didn't bother much to find that out, since I prefer totally free gameplay, aka not to be told what to do in a game, but do whatever I like or am in a mood for), but there are none of those of obligatory type, I mean those you must complete in order to move on, advance, progress in the game further, gain access to a certain area, skill, equipment or gear, so not those of a restrictive type.
(those I really don't like, and avoid playing games/MUDs featuring them)

I started playing Xylomer only a couple of days ago, so there are probably many things I don't even know of yet, but my experiences are maximally positive so far, and feel free to ask more questions about it, I shall try to answer them if I can.

2019-04-21 21:34:21

wow jeas already complex enough, and this one even more richer? I'll explore the mud some more soon.

2019-04-21 21:39:20 (edited by Caccio72 2019-04-21 21:47:14)

Well it did take the place of Geas on that MUD top list I gave the link to, while Geas has totally disappeared from it, as if it was replaced by Xylomer somehow...(I mean only the top 20 MUD list of course)

If you mean activities like hunting, fishing, skinning, butchering, cooking, mining, gathering herbs, sailing on ships, (even building them), and similar ones, yes, it sure looks richer to me, but again, I probably discovered only a small percent of all the things one can do in the game.

2019-04-21 23:07:32

@caccio, by "new release" I mean new to us which is why I wonder if this should be moved to new releases, not that it is a newly released game in its own right.
As to crafting, the description on the website made it sound as if you couldn't really do anything in the game without interacting with another player, so all of your progress was basically dependent upon other people rather than what you could explore or do solo, you couldn't as I said just go off and find resources and then sell them or make them into other things.

If that's not the case though and you can actually progress solo, whether that be through npc quests or just finding things and doing them on your own, fair enough.

2019-04-22 01:39:50 (edited by Caccio72 2019-04-26 08:06:51)

But of course you can progress solo, I am a terrible team player, and almost always tend to play as a "lone wolf", so am doing it in Xylomer too, and so far none of the actions I took, or activities I tried were dependent of anyone else than my own self, and my own decisions.
(not even when joining a guild, selecting a trainer for skills, buying a fighter ticket for the arena, or traveling to other towns by coach or ship, all were handled by NPCs)

Again, since I wish to play totally freely and independently, doing only things I choose and like, being instructed,, influenced, or restricted by other players, their reactions and decisions by any means, that would be totally unacceptable to me, I wouldn't play such an MUD at all.
(this is why I quit playing Avalon MUD after only a couple of days)

So if the game description on its homepage tells otherwise, it must be way out of date, from the "good old times" when such a player-interaction-centric gameplay was possible, thanks to the much larger regular playerbase and community.
(since then all those interactions were, obviously, changed to be NPC controlled instead)

2019-04-22 03:26:08

I've actually played this one before and see the similarity to geas since I've got two characters on that one as well. I haven't played either in some time and don't see myself playing xylomer anymore or geas much for that matter do to the very simple fact that neither one of them have very much of a player base to speak of. I mean the players are there, but they're just few and far between. I'll play clok mud any day of the week. In case you've not heard of that mud Catchio, this is one that does exactly as you're suggesting. You don't even have to do combat if you so wish, you could just farm and grow crops and then sell them, you can mine, hunt, fish and forge items as well as do leatherworking and woodworking and sell your creations to the markets in the towns and cities. What's better? it's completely free to play and they've even got soundpacs for the different mud clients that people use from vip mud to mush client. The connection info is clok.contrarium.net port 4000. Look for me on there. My character's name is duggin. Have a wonderful day to you all.

2019-04-22 04:12:12 (edited by Caccio72 2019-04-22 05:06:42)

Yeah, unlike in Geas, as I mentioned above, communication in Xylomer is solved pretty well, both IC and OOC, and all players and staff are very active, often visiting me, asking me how I am doing, sending mails, or remote, distant messages with the command "gtell", which I can do as well, since I was gifted a gem which allows such remote communication with everyone I know, regardless of their current location.

2019-04-22 09:12:44

Thanks for sharing!
I always like to hear about Muds that haven't been discovered.
This one sounds great!

2019-04-22 09:47:43

Oh, there is a single slightly annoying feature in the game I must warn you guys of:

Once weekly, at this very time when I post this, there is a server shutdown and reboot called "armageddon".

The annoying part of this "event" is, that after it all characters will lose all their bought or aquired gear, unless they are either "kept" with the command @keep", or magically protected against armageddon.
And there is a limitation of maximum 15 items being allowed to be kept.

The ways to avoid, or guard against this, those I know of so far, are the following:

1. Not all gear needs to be kept manually, there are many which are set to be automatically kept by default, so those don't count into those mentioned 15, which we can select to be kept manually.

2. Some of the gear we can buy, find, or get, initially are magically protected from armageddon. (those are normally more expensive and valuable gear than other, "normal" one.
I got gifted a couple of such items and gear from players and wizards right after my 1st, unpleasent armageddon experience, while I still didn't know about armageddon and the @keep alternative.

3. When you rent a room in an inn, (there are inns in all towns), in your room there is a gardrobe, where you can keep a certain, fixed number of your gear and items safe, aka armageddon-proof.
Some chests were also mentioned to me for that cause, I presume those are inside player owned houses or stores, so for player's properties.
I don't know that exact number those wardrobes and chests can hold and protect, will have to check it with a wizard yet.
(I already have a room rented in the inn of the town I am in currently, (luckily renting rooms is quite cheap), but I didn't need to use my gardrobe for now, since atm I have exactly 15 gears and items I manually set to "keep".

As for soundpack, I will yet have to ask the Xylomer community about, but considering how the most of us blind and vip gamers didn't even know about the MUD by now, unfortunately I seriously doubt there are any. sad

However, after this "armageddon" is over, I intend to ask one of the game admins, so called wizards, to join this forum, and tell you guys more about the game, he is much more competent than me, so his informations and responses will surely be more accurate and reliable than mine.

2019-04-24 06:35:09

my point is, what require to joining a  guild because i was take very long time to join guild on geas, and i  feel nothing to do,  is it better or someone can tell me what you can  do to improve your character?
also the item  keep could be a  problem.

2019-04-24 08:16:06 (edited by Caccio72 2019-04-28 15:30:02)

Well one of the wizards promised me to join this forum and introduce the MUD, probably much more accurately than I could, but unfortunately he hasn't done it yet... sad

He also told me how he will gladly answer all your questions.

As for armageddon and keeping items, I already wrote down what I found out so far, I suggest you should use @keep for your armor and weapons only, (although I have more and more of those enchanted ones, which are armageddon proof), and simply store the rest you wish to keep in your wardrobe, simply rent a room for x days in the town you are in, (again, it's quite cheap), and each sunday, before armageddon "strikes", store everything you wish to keep, and could not @keep anymore, in that wardrobe in your inn-room.

As for guilds, I had no problem joining it at all, no waiting for anyone, no delay, by selecting a npc for my trainer, and I can improve my skills not only by performing adequate actions or activities, but also can train them for coins by that trainer any time I visit "him".
(in my case those are mostly fighting skills, for I choose to be a warrior, 12 skills I can train by that specific trainer, but of course could have chosen different ones too, and may still change my NPC trainer any time I feel needed, along with my guild I guess, to learn some different skills from those 12)
(accordingly there exist round 300 of them all together)

This is how much I know, actually learned about the matter...for now.