2019-04-23 18:40:19

Thanks Brian. Do you have a Pay Pal account or something we can donate to? This info is valuable to me, and I've already learned a good bit from what you're sharing with us.

2019-04-23 19:35:24

OK, here's my effect.

Facts with Tom MacDonald, Adam Calhoun, and Dax
End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-23 21:11:41

ok i have a question
are we going to create only the whoosh of the thing but the whole thing
intro switch and the impact
and are they going to be mixed on 1 file or diffrent files?

2019-04-24 02:54:49

@176 I do have a Paypal and Patreon, I won't link them directly though. This course is being put on by myself and by Ebon Sky Studios because we're looking to really show the community that we're interested in raising the quality of audiogames in multiple facets: this course, the Sable engine, and just bringing people together to make great accessible games.

I worry that message will lose a lot of its power if we add finances and donations to it. If you're really interested please message me, and thank you - I do appreciate what you're saying. It means a lot, to know that this course is valuable enough for people to want to pay for it. Thank you for that, Che.

2019-04-24 02:56:59

@178
You are searching Freesounds for three categories, a sound in each:

1. Whoosh
The sound when the spell is coming towards its target or is building up
2. Impact
The sound of the spell hitting the target
3. Flavour
The type of spell - ice, fire, wind, lightning, whatever

So you need to search freesounds for one good, usable sound from each category then line them up with , and . using three different tracks and layering the sounds on top of each other.

Does that make any more sense?

2019-04-24 03:05:34

@169 I'm really glad you said that - that's exactly what we want to accomplish here.
I respect that a lot of you have a working knowledge of this stuff so you can tinker and achieve what you want.

What I want to achieve for you is that you can be sitting on your couch, building a sound effect in your head, thinking "Okay I need a blunt weapon attack. That will start with a short whooshy swing, maybe with a bit of the mids raised 3db or so and the highs nice and swishy, and for an impact I'll find or record punching a ham, maybe even with a very short bass drum sweetener with all the highs EQ'd out, and I might also add a nice snapping celery stalk that I record or find online, with lots of crunchy transients to simulate bone breaking. I might even find a nice squishing fruit sound, like a tomato, to add to give it just a tiny bit more authenticity. I'll compress everything on the impact sound with a sharp knee and parallel compression filter and EQ as needed."

The better you get at this stuff the more of the work is done in your head, as opposed to tweaking and discovering. It will soon switch from discovery to planning and executing.

2019-04-24 03:12:45

@166
Sounds great, the underwater and radio filters are perfect.
I see you added a pitch modification for fun, sounds good as long as it was on purpose!

Optimisation is good - it's not a strong enough effect though. Try moving your second band from 2,500Hz to 4,000Hz and raising the DB just slightly. The band width is perfect.
Also you'll notice - I still have quite a few plosive sounds that are causing a problem. You can take care of this by moving band 1 up just 20Hz. Band 1 is almost perfect and if I didn't purposefully hit those P sounds so hard, it would've been fine, but experiment with just moving it a tiny bit to see if it has a difference.

I will say, really tight optimisation going on. You are using a very light touch which is exactly what we're going for - a little bit goes a long way. It just needs a TINY bit more big_smile

2019-04-24 03:14:05

@166 Wind filter is PERFECT. This could go in a game or film or whatever.

2019-04-24 03:32:26

@177
You really did some great work here. The EQing is excellent as is the fading in and out, as well as the layering.
I think your impact and your flavour sounds are too similar, and while they're EQ'd perfectly to bring out the real colour of the sounds, the EQing on them is exactly the same. The ear can't really tell the difference between impact and flavour and it doesn't sound "zappy" enough to me. You EQ'd a nice bump in the lows of the impact but the sound doesn't have any lows to bring up - if this were something like an earth spell, I'd say add a thump in there but electricity doesn't necessarily have that punchy boom in it, so you made a good call there.

I had a play with it and added on a lightning sound, slightly lower volume with a somewhat long fadein and out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ph4t95s9cxnyi … 2.wav?dl=1

What do you think of that? I think your sound was 80% there but your choice of impact and flavour was too similar.

If you want to further experiment with what I did, here's a really amazing electricity sound that I used there. https://freesound.org/people/Halleck/sounds/19486/

2019-04-24 04:12:35

That makes sense. I wasn't 100% thrilled with it either, but wasn't really able to say why either, so it's nice to know that in the feedback.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-25 20:02:16 (edited by Tissman 2019-04-25 20:03:34)

Ok, something like fire spell... big_smile
You can download it here: https://cp.sync.com/dl/c8c2f4620/3gy8gh … n-vd2pyfxv

check my sounds on
freesound

2019-04-26 05:34:20 (edited by skluttrell 2019-04-26 05:38:19)

Went with a classic. It's not a party until someone starts a tavern brawl by irritating a half-orc with a magic missile. Always blame it on the gnome.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gissc6iwwezsk … 2.zip?dl=1

I'm still getting use to freesound and couldn't find a whoosh I was happy with so I made one myself. I had the idea of getting this watery-wavy sound by using my dog's water bowl as a poor man's waterphone, but I couldn't get anything to resonate long enough without water flying everywhere so I abandoned that for now and just did some digital tinkering. It's close enough to what I was going for. One of these days I will spend the money for a real waterphone.

I'm not totally happy with the flavor sound. It's hard to get the sizzle sound I wanted without it sounding like the wrong sound--sounds like acid splash. The frying pan sound I found was great. It's just when I shrink it down it kind of lacks something for me. I dunno.

The trick is getting it in between the bubbly acid sound and electricity dancing over something without sounding too much like either. I'm not quite sure if I made it.

You can follow me on twitter @s_luttrell and an almost never used Facebook account at skluttrell.

2019-04-26 19:27:13

Ok, I spent waaay too much time on this for the resulting reaping, but I learned a hell of a lot about Reaper in the process.
One thing I can't seem to figure out which should be simple is how to move an item on the timeline simply. I get using combinations of control, shift, and alt with the period and comma keys to adjust start and end selections, and to slide the audio inside the selection, but is there no way to simply move everything at once?
Like if I want to just move an explosion sound to the right by half a second, along with the start and end selection points, is there no easy way to do this beyond moving the end point with alt period, then the start point with control period, then shifting the actual sound with shift period?
I feel like I'm missing something here. I've got this complex sound made up of 9 tracks, I've built in pans and volume envelopes, I've created a Haas effect by offsetting tracks, etc. but I can't figure out how to simply position my audio.
Any help out there for this? I've read the Accessible Reaper Wiki, looked at the docs and so forth. I promise I'm not being purposefully obtuse here.
Thanks all for any help.
Here is my Lesson 2 thus far, any comments appreciated.
http://www.blindadrenaline.com/download … son2.5.zip

2019-04-26 22:15:05

I did find that a potential sticking point in the second video. I think that would have confused me as well had I not already known about how to shift things around. I've found the videos thus far to be quite good, but I am not sure about covering the method of shifting the contents inside an item so soon. It's not... difficult per se, once you know what it is doing, it's just that it isn't something you generally use a lot. That's just my opinion of course, but I think that might confuse some people. I've only ever used that feature once, outside of playing with it to discover what it did. I think though, it might be more of a feature you'd use with music, such as positioning vocals and things of that nature, or helping to line guitar chords on beat. You could shift the item's contents without moving the item itself until the first one was on beat, and then use stretch markers to fix the other ones.

To answer your question, there are several ways to go about it. Keeping in mind that the plus and minus keys do affect the speed at which this goes, you can simply use comma or period, or the numpad 4 and 6 keys with numlock on. They do the exact same thing, and will move the item in the corresponding direction, left for numpad 4 or comma, right for numpad 6 or period. Osara, being very context sensitive though, you will have to select the item first by pressing control right and left until you get to it, because otherwise, it might try to move non-existent envelope points which would have no effect. You can also cut and paste items. Again, making sure you select the item first, or it will take the entire track, press control X, move the edit cursor where you want to paste, then hit control V. A third way is the nudge/set dialog which I think a lot of people do not like, but it is useful at times. Select the item and hit N. You can then choose a unit by which to measure movement, type in an amount, and hit either nudge left or nudge right to move by the amount you specified. Note that the difference between the two modes of this screen are that nudge does just that, it nudges the thing along *by* the amount you give it. In other words, it is a relative thing. Set, on the other hand, gives you the ability to snap the item to a particular point. It is not relative, it will not move incrementally, it is absolute. Set is baller because you can line the edit cursor just so, and then get it to read the value and fill it in automatically with one click, and then hit apply move, or whatever that button is called, and it will jump the item there.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-26 23:05:24

Thank you very much Sir Iron Cross. I do not know how in the world I missed that in all my reading on Reaper, but miss it I did.
It still says "Move items' envelope points right/left", but does indeed move the actual item, and having that ability to set to a specific point is fantastic.
I was using cut and paste some, but that was tedious at best.
One other question, and again, feel free to point me to documentation if I have missed this, but is there a way to re order tracks once they are created?
I read about track folders and all, but in my project for example, I added a track later on for the Haas effect, and I want to move it right under the other track, so they are together when I am arrowing up and down between tracks.
Lastly, I am wanting to turn multiple items back into one item. I have looked at both glue and heal, but neither seem to do this. I realize there are issues with this if you have an effect on one item and so forth, but the term glue would lead me to believe one could do a control arrow after several items are glued and select them all at once. This isn't the case, at least isn't in my experience.
Is there a handy way to do this without having to render the track and re importing the single item?
Thanks again.

2019-04-26 23:37:33

Hello,
I am having trouble: The explosion sound has a very very little unnecessary thing at the beginning of it, it isn't even half a second. so What I do is hit w, press left bracket, I press right arrow until I get to the end of that unnecessary thing and press right bracket then press s, but it doesn't work. Hitting left bracket at the end of the unnecessary thing doesn't work either, it says 0 items added in both instances. IfI press delete it deletes that unnecessary thing fine, but I want to make it the way you do it so I don't have trouble catching up later.

I post sounds I record to freesound. Click here to visit my freesound page
I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-04-27 00:10:15

Hi.

I can't seam to find it, can someone post the link again to the youtube explanation of the second lesson? Wanted to give it a run through on Sunday if everything works out.

Greetings Moritz.

Hail the unholy church of Satan, go share it's greatness.

2019-04-27 00:35:18

@191 Use A, not S. A will do what you want, it's an Osara custom action so I think that's why Brian doesn't mention it. But it makes a single slice, no time selection is needed when you use this method. A bit of something that hasn't been covered yet, but if you hit Alt P, you'll switch through the ripple modes, make sure it says ripple per track, then select the unwanted item and delete it. When you do that, you'll cause the new item to back up into the previous item's space. This is what ripple does, and you will not have to manually position it. For now though, turn it off when you're done with it, or you'll get frustrated real quick when you forget it's on and weird stuff keeps happening. If you did want to use the time selection method, make your selection and then hit home to get to the start of the selection, then hit shift S to make the cuts. What this does is selects the item under the cursor then slices. It's an Osara custom action. If for some reason, it says 0 items, make sure your edit cursor is inside the selection, then hit shift A then shift S. Shift A is an Osara action that causes the item to be selected which lies under your edit cursor. It stops you from having to do the control right control left jig.

@190 I never do that, maybe try cut and paste, but select the track first. Paste will go after the track you're on. You could also use insert track, which would place an empty track above the one you're on, make sure it's in the right place, then turn numpad on and use 8 once you've selected the items you want, which will move them up to the previous track, do that as needed until they get there. So if you inserted a track above track 4 and the stuff you want to move is on track 6, you'd numpad 8 3 times, 6, 5, 4, new track. Numpad 2 is the opposite of that, going down instead.

Healing items, I've never got working, gluing I have. A caution though, gluing is destructive because it renders out a new item. I'd take the item you want to end up last, grab it with control X, select the one that's meant to come first, then hit control shift period to jump to the end of it, paste it, go back to the previous one, then select both items, just add a shift to control right, then hit control U to glue. It would work I think for as many as you wanted to do, it might even pad the distance between them with silence if they don't butt up against each other but I've never tried that, so I can't say for sure.

End racism
End division
Become united

2019-04-27 15:18:20 (edited by burak 2019-05-03 20:39:57)

Hello,
Here is my assignment:
https://we.tl/t-Kn3UPsusbD

I usually post game recordings to anyaudio. Click here to visit my anyaudio page

2019-04-27 15:20:06

The youtube link to the lesson is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkF-sM9IvuQ&t=1771s

2019-04-28 01:20:43

It has been a busy week at work. I will get mine in tomorrow.

thanks,
Michael

2019-04-28 20:35:42

I went for an ice spell. Because I wanted to fade out the whole project, I made an extra track and used a volume envolope after I had routed all the other tracks to it, since I didn't know whether there was a command to fade out the whole project as Control +Alt +O only works on items and the action list (f4) didn't turn up anything in that regard either.

Errare humanum est!

2019-04-28 22:04:57

Well, Here it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afclqmh0m8r48 … t.RPP?dl=1

thanks,
Michael

2019-05-04 06:11:17

Hey everyone - apologies for the radio silence again. I'll be grading these Saturday and Sunday, and getting on to recording a new lesson Sunday as well.

I've said it before but just so folks don't think I'm neglecting, I work at the local Arts Centre as a theatre/audio tech and work just pops up sometimes, in kind of a drop everything and go situation. I've had that happen and was not planning for it.

But new stuff coming soon! Keep it up and mention the course to anyone you know that might be interested. Once the course ends it won't be interactive anymore and that's the most valuable part of this.

2019-05-04 17:10:39

hi, just got aware of this late, but wanted to say that I will be happy to help with reaper usage.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…